Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

Old August 2nd, 2015, 06:52 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Writing about Steiner for a journalistic piece

Hi everyone - I'm a writer and I'm interested in learning more about your experiences with Steiner as I begin to write about spa services on cruise ships. I would love to speak with a few of you about your experiences -- the good and the bad -- to get a sense of how the company operates, and what you would like to see change.

A friend of mine has just signed a contract, as well, and I want to investigate not only on her behalf, but on all of yours.

If you are interested in telling your story, please write to me. If you are in the UK, that is ideal. If not, please get in touch anyway.

Lizzie
Old October 2nd, 2015, 10:11 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Is it really that bad?

Hello

I am considering working as a massage therapist.

Is Steiner really your worst nightmare?

Do you get a basic income? And if so how much?

I do not want to waste my time going for an interview.

Anyone with recent experience please.
Old October 5th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default So if I want to join steiner to earn money do you think from your experience onboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendan View Post
Completely agree, I was with steiner from 2001 until 2005 and Im going back In april this year, Its all about your experience and the money depends completely in what ship and route you are on, selling or not selling, never been a top retailer myself and well I made a lot of money and Im not from a poor country Its just a question of attitude and willing to work
Old October 5th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default I want to work onboard the steiner cruise once I finish my level 3 should I do it or

Quote:
Originally Posted by LepaJessi View Post
Obviously I am at a disadvantage in this thread...and am probably asking for trouble.

I completed 2 contracts on board with Steiner and would have continued if I was not married and preferring to stay on land.

There is a level of manipulation within the company as far as selling products. But just as will all other hair, face and body care companies- most key selling points are exaggerated. I know MANY people who have deep love for Elemis/Steiner products, have been using them for years, and refuse to change from the items they fell in love with when someone convinced them to spend money on board while visiting the spa. Some lives have been changed due to the encouragement to live a healthier lifestyle.

Steiner is company which was created out of the UK and have developed into a huge world wide corporation. Not only staffing cruise ships, but countless landbased spas around the world.

Thousands of jobs are created by this company and opportunities are given to people raised in poor countries and an option is given to reach further and change lives. Please ask someone from a poor country if the money they've made on board has changed their life.

Cruise ships alone have very interesting lifestyles, traditions and methods of superiority within the crew that you would never see on land. This will never change. But Steiner is not to blame.

Steiner does not withhold your pay and threaten you to keep it if you misbehave. This is ridiculous. If you would take the initiative to read your contract, you would know this. They have a 6 week layover period.

So many accusations.

And as a guest, if you DO NOT want to buy a product, tell the person!! They are doing their job, just as you do yours...selling insurance, cars...etc.

They DO NOT use cooking oil in their massage oil. They commonly use high quality almond oil and sometimes even higher quality with essential oils or therapeutic remedies. A true Steiner therapist will create a treatment specific to your needs or complaints, provide and amazing service, and yes- present a treatment package that maaaaybe you would enjoy having in your own home. If you don't want it, don't be embarrassed. Just say no.

Thank you for respecting my view,

Last edited by RoxieS; October 5th, 2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Have to add detail
Old October 22nd, 2015, 04:37 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusedx2 View Post
Hello

I am considering working as a massage therapist.

Is Steiner really your worst nightmare?

Do you get a basic income? And if so how much?

I do not want to waste my time going for an interview.

Anyone with recent experience please.
Hello,

The way the academy is run is almost cult like. Everything the trainers said seemed to be scripted. They tear you down and build you back up to Steinerize you. You see lots of people crying in the YMCA and academy rextrooms due to stress, lack of sleep and poor food. But, if you can survive the academy, you can survive anything!

On the ship, I was bullied by my manager to the point i would have anxiety attacks at work. She started on me as i would not sign my name to forged documents. I hated every day of being in the spa, but i loved working on the ship.

I earned from Steiner $3000 in 9 months. I worked my ass off and treated each guest like they were my grandma/grandpa. This is a good way to make good feedback and positive comments. I used to get tons of wondrerful comments from guests. You meet wonderful people on ships.

If you are going, id advise you learn all the product information off, the all night study sessions and very early starts wear you down. Knowing all the product info beforehand will take away a large amount of stress.

I wish you the best with whatever you decide. ☺
Old December 14th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Welcome Newcomer

talk to me, [email protected]
Old December 16th, 2015, 06:55 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default it is what you make it

I did one contract for steiner as a fitness instructor in 2008 in my early twenties. I am now considering returning to do one more contract, and have stumbled upon this thread. Reading the first post from 2009, i could tell exactly where the person was coming from, and I am amazed to find the long thread that has appeared over the last 7 years, mostly it seems from very disgruntled ex employees who have stories I know will be true, but I'd like to add my take to add some more balance, as even though it was a few years ago, it still seems relevant.
From day 1 in the academy in london your way outside your comfort zone. You are staying in a hostel, and attending classes for the whole day (8am-8pm) every single day from the minute you get there, its important to acknowledge from early on its going to be hard work. You can spend any where between 2-10 weeks (Generally 3-5 weeks) at the academy, and it seems random as to why certain people are held back.
Once you get sent to your ship, which you will only find out 24 hours before, you don't really have time to take in whats happening, before you know it you are on the ship, in your uniform, putting your new steiner ways in to practice, working 6 days a week 12 hours a day. And it is relentless, day in day out, it all revolves around retailing the products you got trained up in at the academy. In my day there was no base salary, Ive read there may be a small one now, but for fitness instructors hoping to make money, it revolves around retailing products youve probably never heard of before you joined steiner. Once you learn about these products they are very sellable. You teach 4-6 exercise classes per day, but make basically no money from it lol (hence emphasis on retailing). Massage/hair/nails will make good tips in states/oz, and sometimes you recieve a retainer, which again will be small. The truth is if your on their for serious money you can take home, you need to embrace the whole system from the minute you arrive, steiner as a company do push very hard sales wise, use questionable methods to motivate and have a very vague representation of what happens on board when recruiting, but having said all that I know of a good amount of employees who made a half decent wage.
And you have to then take in to account what a wonderful, unique and self educating experience it is to work at sea, as part of an international community of people who are all working their socks off, and 90% seem to party just as hard, the travel is so special and the memories and photo's I have are amazing. All in all, if I was asked, and I have been before, I'd recommend any open minded people to take this experience, it's not easy but it's worth it. It also improved my employment prospects on land. I may just point out as well, for any one looking for an alternative to steiner, I also did one contract for a spa company called Decleor, who are also a british based company, the money wasnt good but it was fun. Id recommend steiner over them though.
Old April 13th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Good morning to all, I am a last Year student of medicine and surgery and I want to do the Medi-Spa at the Sea Physican course in Miami and work onboard for 7 months. Can someone tell me his/her experience as physician? How much can I earn in one month? Can someone send me a copy of the contract for physician?
Thank you
Old September 25th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Class action lawsuit?? Lets do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maya05bg View Post
Yes,thats right.I was in Steiner training academy in London and i left them.These people are not professional and not experienced.They hire some girls who have not experience and teach them a few days how to do massage.I was shoked. They insist a heavy make up ,so i told them that I am not a prostitute,but a professional massage therapist. Their products are terrible ,contain preservatives and chemicals ,but steiner pretend to sell natural products. They dont have professional ethic and treat people like a dogs. So,I decided to leave this terrible company.
Old September 25th, 2016, 05:22 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Class action lawsuit?? Lets do it!

I know the ship and manager you are talking about and it is ALL TRUE! I worked with the same type antics from a manager.
One thing I noticed is that managers treated girls from other countries worse than English girls; reasoning behind this came to me later, when a girl is fired or quits she gets a ticket back to England not her home countries so managers know they can abuse girls that are from abroad on a much deeper level because they need the money they paid to get to London and they will need even more for a ticket back home. And when girls complain or look into legal reprimand they don't know what to label the abuse as, I've kept up with news of the company and realized that what they do that's clearly illegal is actually called HAZING. It's a form of abuse that is a direct torture of someone under the subordinate of another. Because the girls are under a contract they cannot actually take legal action in the same form as a legal W2 employee in the US. And what they never really account for is a girl moving on to getting a law degree or finding someone to pro bono a case of that magnitude. But oh they have been increasingly arrogant and deluded about how many women they have tortured and abused. Hundreds apon hundreds and if they were all to come together and take it to the law. Well most of us have a WHOLE LOT of evidence, and my experiences are almost 10 years ago. So I reckon women all over the world have just about the same stories .... And I know for a fact that managers are urged to act in this way, and taught to make the girls believe they are worthless ; breaking a girls spirit is the first and most crucial way of making her a workhorse and slave to your will. Just ask sex traffickers ... same Moto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maya05bg View Post
Yes,thats right.I was in Steiner training academy in London and i left them.These people are not professional and not experienced.They hire some girls who have not experience and teach them a few days how to do massage.I was shoked. They insist a heavy make up ,so i told them that I am not a prostitute,but a professional massage therapist. Their products are terrible ,contain preservatives and chemicals ,but steiner pretend to sell natural products. They dont have professional ethic and treat people like a dogs. So,I decided to leave this terrible company.
Old September 25th, 2016, 05:30 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Are you serious or just stupid?

YOU ARE DELUSIONAL! And clearly not very well aware of the law. Although Maybe you are just a lackey they hire to troll the forums for negative posts... that would be right up their alley!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Wow - this is a pretty raw condemnation. Someone could be in trouble, especially for naming names.
Old September 25th, 2016, 06:26 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Legal action

I've noticed that many people seem to think Steiner is a UK based company. It's FOUNDED in the U.K. But alas look at you're paycheck address and you shall see it's Florida! They "school / training center / slave holding pen" is based in the U.K. But the actual company is not.

Send me you're email lovey! Let's get this legal party started !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miki Golden View Post
Should be reported! But to whom? There is no ILO or similar organizations to report this or sue them! I am the first one who will do it but where,how,to whom? I worked for them 8 years coz my financial problems at home and I didnt have another choice but it was for sure 8 years MODERN SLAVERY... Who ever want to sue them,please contact me,I have plenty of materials against the DEVILS (Steiner leisure Ltd)..
Old November 20th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Steiner And working on a cruise.

I worked for Steiner over 4 years, basically 5 contracts. I can tell you everything about them as a company or the way they operate. I started as a massage therapist on my first contract with a bipolar manager that used to threaten us and to keep us very late at work...that was until MLC. Thanks God with MLC ( Maritime Labour Convention). With this thing basically Steiner couldn't get ayaw. We had to work no more than 14 hours in a 24 hours period and to have 10 hours rest between shifts.Then I still had hope..so I did my second contract as ionitherapist. I had to go back to London for a 2 week training and then again on the ship. My 3rd contract was more interesting because my manager saw potential and pushed me to go for management. So far so good...but when you going for management you don't really know what a loss of money. Of course if you're lucky or you are form England you don't need to wait that much. I literally stoped making money...as you know...you earn tips and a few % commission. Because I was doing more office and reception job...there was NO comission. On my 4th contract I went back to London for Management Training and they sent me back as receptionist/assistant..so again no money. When I finally got my ship as a manager i was flying but that took 9 moths with no money.
On my first contract i met my husband , he was working as a medi spa physiacian. We where thinking that working for the same company we will manage to work together.
So when i got my ship as a manager, my husband asked for the same ship obviously. At first they said they will try...we need ti have. patience. Then the answer was that they don't care about relations. Or a different one givven to my husband " there are so many girsl here...you can have whoever you want...you don't need her"...I got to a point that I was loosing my relation...we were apart for more than 7 months.
Anyway I finished my 4h contract and i asked...we asked to go together...the only way we where able to do that was me going down again..so I went again as assistant spa manager..so again no money...and after all my struggles and trainings...i was again where basically I started.
Anyway the problem with them as a company is that they don't have mercy, and believe or not...they say that they work with all kind of nationality, but they are very racist. You barely see some other people that are not English within the company. So...just a few things:
1.They encourage 19 year old english girls that don't know well their names to be spa managers. And obviously when someone after 1 contract with no experience and very cocky on top of that...is "boss"...there is no understanding especially for serious people like a doctor (medi spa) or acupuncturist. So ethics 0.
2. My manager on my last ship was just assistant before...and believe or not he didn't know a thing...but he knew how to complain to the office about everyone. So in every call he had...he used to call us "3 world people". Even in meetings he used to say that we are 3rd world country people. But poor hard worker girls of course wouldn't say anything.
3. They promise you...you'll see the world, you'll make money...bla bla bla...when in fact..in every beginning of the cruise meeting they are telling you "your cec is blank...how much you would like to get paid this week?" My answer on that will be..."how much you give me...?" Because you be...you beg for a guest..ou beg for extra tip...basically the passengers if they having a treatment they tip you.
There are casses in which guests decide to remove gratuities. In that case...you'll have a 2% commission from a massage and if you sold your products which is a MUST then you'll get a 9% of that...which is NOTHING.
You will see the world...well in your time OFF you're too tired to even go out...or if you'll go..you will just go for internet and some proper food.
4. If you have any degrees or something...doesn't matter. They don't care you have a degree in anything...not even in management. I have my degree in management and i was soo proud to show it...no one asked me anything because any hairstylist/beautician can do this. A 20 year old English girl will take a management position first.
5. There is a huge discrepancy between what they told you about ethics and respect and what is actually happening. They are racist they are judging...

The way they operate is simple...they prefer quantity then quality...they rather have girls that go to the academy for training for a few weeks and then on the ship for another few...because anyway they are making the "training money"...than have well trained people with attractive salary that will come back in ships and cans triple their sales.

But that's the company. So if you guys have some education believe it is not worthed to work for Steiner. Broken people only...and when I say broken I say people with no etichs and no limit...only $...if this is what you want...then Steiner can be for you...but if you're from England...than lucky you...in less than 1 year you can be manager of one spa at sea.
I was also broken when I started with Steiner...everyone that goes on a ship on and on and on...is because they are running from something...i was one of them...and they broke me more.
I can actually have a novel about all of this...but for everyone that are planning or they wanna do it...see my experience.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 09:52 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile What you recommend to work as a personal trainer in Steiner?

Recently I have a serious offer of working in Steiner cruises for 9 months, before in August I will go to London Academy and paying 125 for formation, 255 for medical seaman certificate, and 100 flying to London.

Someone worked no much time ago with steiner and can you tell me about their experience in academy and on board?

Thanks!!