Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old September 2nd, 2016, 08:48 AM
Captain

Default September Baseball

The final month of the season is here! Do you think all the current division leaders will still be in first at the end of the month? Who are your picks for the wild card slots?

Caribbean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas 14
Carnival Splendor 15
Holland America Westerdam 15
Carnival Sunshine 16
Norwegian Pearl Alaska May 2017
Old September 2nd, 2016, 11:49 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The Twins are making their run for the division title. They won their first game last night after losing 13 straight.

I do not follow the National League very closely but in the American League I think The Rangers will prevail. They are about 8 games up on Houston.

The Eastern Division is the interesting one with 6 games separating four teams. Toronto is currently leading but my money's on the Red Sox.

I believe Cleveland will win the Central. It's been awhile since they took the division. The only thing is that right now the Indians are playing .500 baseball and Detroit is on a hot streak and only 4 or 5 games back. However, you can't rule out the Twins. I don't think they are mathematically eliminated yet and they are only down by 27 or 26 games. It could happen.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me

Last edited by Mike M; September 2nd, 2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I am rooting for the Chicago Cubbies!

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 2nd, 2016, 05:42 PM
Admiral

I follow the American League more closely. I see Cleveland prevailing in the Central; Texas in the West and the East will be a tighter race but I'm hoping that Toronto prevails.

"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." ~ Susan Sontag
Old September 2nd, 2016, 08:46 PM
Admiral

New York METS will win the NL Wild Card ,NL Pennant and the 2016 World Series
Old September 4th, 2016, 02:31 AM
Captain

Right now I believe all the Division leaders will win their divisions with the exception of the NL west. I believe San Francisco will overtake the Dodgers in the West.

My picks for the Wild Card are St. Louis and Los Angeles in the NL with Boston and Detroit filling out the AL.

Caribbean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Carnival Splendor 15
Carnival Sunshine 16
Old September 4th, 2016, 08:52 PM
Admiral

NL: Our Nats will win the East going away, and the Cubs will do the same in the Central. The West is obviously a tossup between the Dodgers and the Giants. I hope the Dodgers win, simply because it would mean a trip (or two) to Washington for Vin Scully at the end of his career. Except for playoffs, Vinny has not traveled East with the team for a number of years now. He's never been to Nats Park, and says he'd like to come see it before he retires. As a kid growing up in the New York area, Vin is one of the first baseball voices I remember well, along with his mentor, Red Barber. The wild cards will be either the Dodgers or Giants and probably the Mets. In either of those matchups, the west coast team will probably win the play-in game for the doubtful pleasure of meeting the Cubs in the first round.

AL: Boston, Cleveland and Texas. Wild Cards Toronto and Baltimore. The Orioles win the play-in game. Big Poppy will have a change of heart and decide not to retire. Next season he will convince the Red Sox to have a buffet set up in the dugout.
Old September 4th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Vin Scully and Red Barber . For me the first sports commentator I listened to aside from Scully and Barber was Mel Allen.
Old September 4th, 2016, 09:03 PM
Admiral

How 'bout that?

I hated Allen because I was a Dodger fan.
Old September 4th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Default Mel Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
How 'bout that?

I hated Allen because I was a Dodger fan.

I was a HUGE Dodgers fan .I lived 5 blocks from Ebbets Field .

However ,as much as I disliked the Yankees ,Mel Allen was a great commentator.
Old September 5th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Admiral

In my New York baseball world of the 50s, you had your choice of three teams and you automatically hated the other two in every possible respect, including their stadium, their beer sponsor (even though you were a kid), their players (of course), and their announcers. Dodger fans loved Scully and hated Allen and Russ Hodges, and that was that. And after Hodges' lunatic call of Bobby Thompson's popup that went into the seats at the Polo Grounds, we hated him even more.

My memories of Ebbett's field include standing at the ticket window in the rotunda with my father, as the cigar-chewing guy with a fistful of tickets behind the cage looked down at me and said to my father, "Let me find a good one for the boy." My memories of Yankee Stadium include standing at the ticket window with my father, who had just given the guy a ten dollar bill for two $3.50 tickets. No attempt to give change, and disgust when my father asked for it.

That was the difference in culture between the teams back then. The Bums were the working man's team; the Yankees were the "sophisticates" with a top hat in their logo (and an owner called Dan Topping).
Old September 5th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Praying this is the Cubs year !
Old September 5th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Even though you were not a Giants fan ,as a true baseball fan you had to react to the "Giants win the pennant,the Giants win the pennant." I remember that day in 1951 like it was yesterday.
Old September 5th, 2016, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Default Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Praying this is the Cubs year !

The CUBS will win more games than every team in baseball this year but they are winning with Kris Bryant and other great players.

The METS are 1/2 game out of the second wild card and 1 1/2 out of the first wild card with second and third string players.

Their First baseman ,Lucas Duda has been injured nearly all season as has their Third baseman ,David Wright ,their Second baseman has missed many games and is gone for the season.
The Center fielder ,Juan Legares has missed most of the season.
They only have 2 healthy starting pitchers,one of whom is 43 .

This is the METS year to go all the way.
Old September 5th, 2016, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
Even though you were not a Giants fan ,as a true baseball fan you had to react to the "Giants win the pennant,the Giants win the pennant." I remember that day in 1951 like it was yesterday.
And I remember that Thompson's popup that day barely cleared the 279 foot left field fence. Which, of course was more challenging than the right field fence, which was a daunting 257 feet. Center field, of course was 455 feet, because the Polo Grounds was built for. . .polo. Kids playing Legion ball today routinely hit flies more than 300 feet, even with wood bats. Can you imagine today's big league players getting to hit there? The inside-out swing to hit to the opposite field with power is an art form today; nobody had ever heard of it in 1951. Nowadays, scores of 35-28 would be routine. The Polo Grounds was one reason the Amazin' Mets were amazin' for their first two years before they moved to Shea. Another reason, of course, was Marvelous Marv Throneberry. And of course, Casey.
Old September 6th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Default 1962 Mets

Quote:
And I remember that Thompson's popup that day barely cleared the 279 foot left field fence. Which, of course was more challenging than the right field fence, which was a daunting 257 feet. Center field, of course was 455 feet, because the Polo Grounds was built for. . .polo. Kids playing Legion ball today routinely hit flies more than 300 feet, even with wood bats. Can you imagine today's big league players getting to hit there? The inside-out swing to hit to the opposite field with power is an art form today; nobody had ever heard of it in 1951. Nowadays, scores of 35-28 would be routine. The Polo Grounds was one reason the Amazin' Mets were amazin' for their first two years before they moved to Shea. Another reason, of course, was Marvelous Marv Throneberry. And of course, Casey.

The 1962 METS had Kranepool ,Ashburn and Hickman ,all who would hit in any ballpark
Old October 7th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
NL: Our Nats will win the East going away, and the Cubs will do the same in the Central. The West is obviously a tossup between the Dodgers and the Giants. I hope the Dodgers win, simply because it would mean a trip (or two) to Washington for Vin Scully at the end of his career. The wild cards will be either the Dodgers or Giants and probably the Mets. In either of those matchups, the west coast team will probably win the play-in game for the doubtful pleasure of meeting the Cubs in the first round.

AL: Boston, Cleveland and Texas. Wild Cards Toronto and Baltimore. The Orioles win the play-in game. Big Poppy will have a change of heart and decide not to retire. Next season he will convince the Red Sox to have a buffet set up in the dugout.

Geez, I'm doing pretty well so far. Got all the division winners and wild card teams right, missed the winner of the Toronto/Baltimore play-in game, but that was a barn burner. Now the fun really begins.
Old October 7th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Admiral

How about those Blue Jays........

"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." ~ Susan Sontag
Old October 7th, 2016, 08:05 PM
Admiral

My picks:

Toronto over Texas
Cleveland over Boston
Dodgers over Washington
Giants over Cubs
------------------------------
Giants over Dodgers
Toronto over Cleveland
-----------------------

Giants over Toronto
Old October 8th, 2016, 01:06 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Sorry to my friends who are rooting for the Cub, but please - anyone but the Cubs!

Personally I would like to see the Blue Jays, even though I am a NL fan.
Old October 8th, 2016, 04:52 AM
Admiral

Cubs are one up!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 8th, 2016, 11:14 PM
Admiral

I have known some wonderful people from Chicago and they love their Cubbies but alas it is not their year.
Old October 11th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Captain

My Cleveland Indians made it to the ALCS to play the Toronto Bluejays! This should be a really good series as they both played extremely close games this year with the Indians winning the season series 4-3

Looks like the NLDS will be a drag out shootout to the finish! Go Giants and Nationals!

Caribbean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Carnival Splendor 15
Carnival Sunshine 16
Old October 11th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Captain

AR said.....Geez, I'm doing pretty well so far. Got all the division winners and wild card teams right, missed the winner of the Toronto/Baltimore play-in game, but that was a barn burner. Now the fun really begins.

Yup, you picked the playoff teams well!

Caribbean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Carnival Splendor 15
Carnival Sunshine 16
Old October 12th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Purely out of curiosity why do a few of you dislike the Cubs so much?

Is it because we have the best fans in the league? Cubs can be in last place and still fill Wirgley Field.
Last nights game in SF did you see all the empty seats ...why? What's with their fans? Did you see all the Cuns fans after the game .

Just curious.......GO CUBS !
Old October 12th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Admiral

go cubs!!!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 12th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Purely out of curiosity why do a few of you dislike the Cubs so much? Is it because we have the best fans in the league?
I must admit that my loyalties are split. Living in the DC area, naturally I'm a Nats fan. But I went to college an el ride north of Wrigleyville, so I've always had a place in my heart for the Cubbies. If a co-ed didn't want to come to the ballgame with me in the spring, it was our last date.

I don't know of any reason to hate the Cubs. And yes, they have excellent fans, and well informed fans as well. And, Holy Cow, they even had Harry Caray.

Some of you know that one of our kids is a pilot. Last summer he called one day to say that due to a quirk in his schedule he was going to be stuck in Chicago for two days with a hotel room and not much to do. "Get your butt out to O'Hare tomorrow morning. I'm pulling in at noon. I've already got Cubs tickets, and we can go to the Chicago Chophouse for steaks and to Buddy Guy's for blues." A great father-son 48 hours. Baseball will always do that, but baseball at Wrigley is special for those of us who have "history" there.

If the next series is Nats/Cubs I'll have a hard time figuring out whom to root for.
Old October 12th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Admiral

I am rooting for the Dodgers to win the WS ,my second choice is Toronto followed by Cleveland
Old October 14th, 2016, 07:27 AM
Captain

Quote:
Purely out of curiosity why do a few of you dislike the Cubs so much?

Is it because we have the best fans in the league? Cubs can be in last place and still fill Wirgley Field.
Last nights game in SF did you see all the empty seats ...why? What's with their fans? Did you see all the Cuns fans after the game .

Just curious.......GO CUBS !
I don't hate the Cubs at all! Actually I think they are the best team in MLB right now but......I have my favorite team, the Indians in the playoffs and think anyone else would be easier for them to beat in the World Series

Looks like the Giants have Atlanta Braves syndrome.....The fans are so used to them making the playoffs all the time that it isn't special anymore.

Caribbean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Carnival Splendor 15
Carnival Sunshine 16
Old October 14th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default baseball

You guys have not mentioned the Royals. I wonder why? I know.