Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

Old November 27th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Captain

The electoral votes can be changed according to the wants of the individual States! The votes can be divided up into regions like Maine and Nebraska do! The problem I see with this is the gerrymandering that we see with congressional districts would soon come into play. If you look at New York for a example and separated New York City from the rest of the State then Trump would of received more Electoral votes then Clinton. A look at Nationwide counties we can see that Trump won more then 2/3 of all counties in the United States. If all states took to districting their electoral votes then Trump would of still won in a landslide!

Caribbean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas 14
Carnival Splendor 15
Holland America Westerdam 15
Carnival Sunshine 16
Norwegian Pearl Alaska May 2017
Old November 27th, 2016, 11:59 AM
First Mate

Katlady, "voting power" can mean several different things. Your map illustrates that the ratio of voters-to-electoral votes varies from state to state. That is a result of each state getting two senators, regardless of population, and of the census being done only every ten years, so that population shifts in between reapportionment of congressional districts don't get immediate recognition. But "voting power" of the state as a whole is very dependent upon total population, which is why the states you name as having lowest "power" in fact are those most highly sought of all. Candidates make multiple trips to those states in hope of racking up their electoral votes.

And here's a third interpretation: states which invariably vote for one party actually have little "power", because their votes are taken for granted. Massachusetts is a prime example. Here in New Hampshire we practically trip over candidates, particularly in the primary but also in the general, even though we only have four electoral votes. Massachusetts is only a matter of minutes drive to the south, and has many more electoral votes, but a candidate who came here never bothered to make a stop there.
Old November 27th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
!

Trump won, get used to it or it will be a long 4 years for you!

At my age a long four years does not seem so bad.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old November 27th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
The electoral votes can be changed according to the wants of the individual States! The votes can be divided up into regions like Maine and Nebraska do! The problem I see with this is the gerrymandering that we see with congressional districts would soon come into play. If you look at New York for a example and separated New York City from the rest of the State then Trump would of received more Electoral votes then Clinton. A look at Nationwide counties we can see that Trump won more then 2/3 of all counties in the United States. If all states took to districting their electoral votes then Trump would of still won in a landslide!
Counties don't vote - people do. And most of them voted for Hillary no matter how the right tries to spin it. The landslide was for Hillary.

Done:

Carnival Horizon Transatlantic

Carnival Splendor Panama Canal

Royal Princess

Vision of the Seas

Carnival Miracle Alaska

Carnival Diamond
Princess Platinum
and more...
Old November 27th, 2016, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
Counties don't vote - people do. And most of them voted for Hillary no matter how the right tries to spin it. The landslide was for Hillary.
Clinton's popular vote lead passes the 2 million mark
This wasn't a land slide notice this news article. Hillary had 2 million more of the popular vote. That makes it sound like a land slide so I ran the numbers from this article. Total votes of Clinton and Trump 126,436,475. Clinton has 64,225,863 which is 50.80% of the vote. Trump had 62,210,612 which is 49.20% of the vote. Beware the media they try to sway the public. Plus an article that says Clinton had 1.60% more popular vote than Trump probably isn't dramatic enough. In landslide elections the popular vote and electoral vote match it's only close elections we have these issues.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 27th, 2016, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistersolo View Post
Katlady, "voting power" can mean several different things. Your map illustrates that the ratio of voters-to-electoral votes varies from state to state. That is a result of each state getting two senators, regardless of population, and of the census being done only every ten years, so that population shifts in between reapportionment of congressional districts don't get immediate recognition. But "voting power" of the state as a whole is very dependent upon total population, which is why the states you name as having lowest "power" in fact are those most highly sought of all. Candidates make multiple trips to those states in hope of racking up their electoral votes.

And here's a third interpretation: states which invariably vote for one party actually have little "power", because their votes are taken for granted. Massachusetts is a prime example. Here in New Hampshire we practically trip over candidates, particularly in the primary but also in the general, even though we only have four electoral votes. Massachusetts is only a matter of minutes drive to the south, and has many more electoral votes, but a candidate who came here never bothered to make a stop there.
I agree the numbers are old and people move but the census figures are the best ones we have. I also agree that the candidates will do to the swing states instead of states that vote one party. This is why we never see them in California. But of the winner take all system the candidates have no reason to come here this state will go to the Democrats. Our biggest cities Los Angeles and San Francisco are very liberal. But get out of these cities and you have many Republicans. Three of the co workers voted Trump, one voted Clinton and I voted third party because I knew my vote for President didn't manner. The three people who voted for Trump also had votes that were effective not counted.

This system will not change because neither the Republicans or Democrats want a strong third party. Right now the Democratic elected officials will talk about changing it but won't do a damn thing because they truly don't want to change it and allow third party candidates more power.

Gary Johnson wasn't even allowed to debate with Clinton and Trump because the polls say he didn't have enough support. Two things these are the same polls that showed Clinton winning the election and how is he supposed to increase in the polls if he isn't given a voice?

BTW Clinton and Trump spent the whole election tearing each other down and trying to make each other look bad. Well it worked they both looked awful to me so neither got my useless vote. Think about the debate as a job interview with us hiring the person we want to fill this position. Now based on the debates would you hire either of these people??? I just had a job interview for a promotion; imagine if I walked into that interview and instead of telling them why I'm qualified for the job I spent the whole interview explaining why the other person shouldn't get the job. Well don't hire Hillary has health issues. No don't hire Donald he hates woman.

Clinton clearly violated confidentially laws by using a private server, then deleting e-mails to cover her butt.

Donald Trump used undocumented Polish workers to complete Trump tower. These are the sad facts and in my humble opinion neither of these candidates deserved the honor of being president of the untied states.

To quote Network, "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" https://youtu.be/QMBZDwf9dok

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 28th, 2016, 05:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
Clinton's popular vote lead passes the 2 million mark
This wasn't a land slide notice this news article. Hillary had 2 million more of the popular vote. That makes it sound like a land slide so I ran the numbers from this article. Total votes of Clinton and Trump 126,436,475. Clinton has 64,225,863 which is 50.80% of the vote. Trump had 62,210,612 which is 49.20% of the vote. Beware the media they try to sway the public. Plus an article that says Clinton had 1.60% more popular vote than Trump probably isn't dramatic enough. In landslide elections the popular vote and electoral vote match it's only close elections we have these issues.
In true dictator fashion, Adolph is claiming he won the popular vote. The reality is thousands of fraudulent votes for Adolph were discovered in Wisconsin before the recount has begun. They should recount all the states. It could end up a yuge landslide for Hillary by any standard.

Done:

Royal Princess

Vision of the Seas

Carnival Miracle Alaska

Carnival Diamond
Princess Platinum
and more...
Old December 10th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Admiral

As Trump said the election was rigged.

The Russians did a good job in rigging it in his favor.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old December 11th, 2016, 11:04 PM
Admiral

Seriously? Does it hurt to be that stupid?

Done:

Royal Princess

Vision of the Seas

Carnival Miracle Alaska

Carnival Diamond
Princess Platinum
and more...
Old December 12th, 2016, 07:41 AM
Admiral

The main thing about Trampa ( that is my nickname for him ) being elected is that it makes Putin happy.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015