Old May 25th, 2016, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Default Celebrity orders two more Edge ships

Royal Caribbean announced today they are ordering a Fifth Oasis class ship and two more Edge class ships for Celebrity. This will make four altogether.
Old May 26th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

What are the other 2 Edge class Celebrity ships?
Old May 26th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Great news, looking forward to a new Celebrity ship, it has been a long time. Was looking for an Alaska cruise, and they still are using the same one I went on for my first Alaska cruise, was looking to try a different ship...

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 27th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Question

Still don't know what the Edge class is. Their newest class is the Solstice class...
Old May 29th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Edge Class is a new class of ships ordered last year, they originally announced two ships but announced the other day two more for a total of four. The first ship is due to be launched in 2018.
Old May 29th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

OK, I googled it yesterday and I understood that there are currently 2 ships on order, not 4.
Old May 29th, 2016, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

How many years has it been since Celebrity has had a new ship?

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 29th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Reflection is the newest ship in Celebrity's fleet. It was launched in 2012.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 29th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by croozbabe View Post
OK, I googled it yesterday and I understood that there are currently 2 ships on order, not 4.
Here's the press release from the other day.

ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES EXPANDS OASIS AND EDGE-CLASS
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL) today announced that it has signed a memorandum of understanding with French Shipbuilder STX France to build a fifth Oasis-class ship for delivery in the Spring of 2021 and two additional Edge-class ships scheduled for delivery in the Fall of each of 2021 and 2022.

“The response to the arrival of Harmony of the Seas is staggering, eliciting excitement from eager cruisers from markets on both sides of the Atlantic,” said Richard D. Fain, Chairman and CEO, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. “And Edge-class is one of the most highly anticipated new projects, following the high bar of Modern Luxury design set by its predecessor, the Solstice Class.”

“The Oasis-class ships have delivered beyond expectations each time,” said Michael Bayley, President and CEO, Royal Caribbean International. “Harmony of the Seas’ warm reception is evidence that growing this class of ship will continue to drive exceptional performance for the brand.”

“Although our first Edge-class vessel is still over two years away from delivery, there has been a tremendous amount of interest around the new standard of style Edge-class will introduce,” said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, President and CEO, Celebrity Cruises. “Solstice-class ushered in a new era of design for modern cruise ships, and Edge-class will not disappoint as the new generation of high style and design.”

“We are extremely pleased with the recent success of Harmony of the Seas and take great pride in our partnership with Royal Caribbean,” said Laurent Castaing, Managing Director of STX France. “It is especially exciting to collaborate on such diverse projects from Oasis to Edge, both marvels in their own space.”

This order is contingent upon the completion of customary conditions, including documentation and financing. Final contracts, which include the definitive payment schedules, are expected to be completed within the quarter. Capacity increases for 2016 through 2020 remain unchanged.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL) is a global cruise vacation company that owns Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur, Azamara Club Cruises and CDF Croisières de France, as well as TUI Cruises through a 50 percent joint venture. Together, these six brands operate a combined total of 47 ships with an additional twelve on order. They operate diverse itineraries around the world that call on approximately 490 destinations on all seven continents. Additional information can be found on Welcome to Royal Caribbean International, Welcome to Celebrity Cruises- Modern Luxury Lives Here | Cruises and Cruise Vacation Package with the Best Premium Cruise Line, www.pullmantur.es, www.azamaraclubcruises.com, Croisières de France, www.tuicruises.com or Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. | Investors.
Old May 30th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

So when are the first and second Edge-class ships scheduled for delivery? This article only mentions the second two for 2021 and 2022. I don't remember hearing about the first two...
Old May 31st, 2016, 06:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by croozbabe View Post
So when are the first and second Edge-class ships scheduled for delivery? This article only mentions the second two for 2021 and 2022. I don't remember hearing about the first two...
2018 and 2020 Press release from last year..

Celebrity Cruises has taken a bold step in ship design with the signing of a letter of intent for a new class of vessels, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and French shipbuilder STX France announced today. The two 2,900-guest, 117,000-gross-registered-ton ships, developed under the project name EDGE will build upon the modern luxury experience of the brand's Millennium and Solstice class vessels.

At 984 feet long, 123 feet wide and 190 feet high, Project EDGE will deliver small ship itineraries with large ship amenities, a perfect vacation experience in step with today’s premium vacationer.

"The addition of two project EDGE vessels to our fleet delivers on our long-term strategic plan of moderate capacity growth, and continues the positive momentum the Celebrity brand has achieved in the premium segment of our industry," said Richard D. Fain, chairman and chief executive officer of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

"Our new class of ship will set the standard for premium world travel and deliver the next generation of modern luxury experiences that our guests know and love,” said Michael Bayley, president and chief executive officer of Celebrity Cruises. “STX France designs and builds some of the most innovative and stylish cruise ships in the world, and project EDGE offers them the opportunity to again set a new standard for modern iconic architecture. On this stunning new ship we will bring our guests even closer to the must-see destinations of the world, while indulging them onboard in the most luxurious accommodations, the finest culinary experiences, and the best hospitality delivered by our dedicated staff."

"We are excited to be collaborating with Celebrity on this dramatic step forward in premium cruise ship design," said Laurent Castaing, managing director of STX France. "This class of ships will be designed to deliver the destination to vacationers who want to experience all the world has to offer."

These vessels also represent a significant leap forward in environmentally friendly ship design, benefiting from new technologies to drive significant fuel efficiency and an ongoing process to ensure the extensive use of sustainable materials.
Old September 9th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
How many years has it been since Celebrity has had a new ship?
I think the Reflection was the last one? How old is is it 4 years? 5 years?

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
146 days total
Old December 10th, 2016, 02:40 AM
Familiar Face

So when are the first and second Edge-class ships scheduled for delivery? This article only mentions the second two for 2021 and 2022. I don't remember hearing about the first two... please tell.......
Old December 14th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalesskay View Post
So when are the first and second Edge-class ships scheduled for delivery? This article only mentions the second two for 2021 and 2022. I don't remember hearing about the first two... please tell.......
See othe thread Edge and Beyond
First ship is end of 2018, 2nd, Spring of 2020.