Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

Old March 13th, 2015, 07:58 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Arrow After the medical

Hi,

I've received the medical back from Medisys and it was sent off to Carnival to get approved. Do you know how long it can take to hear back from them? Someone told me sometimes it's 3 days sometimes 3 months( can they really take THAT long?)

Also, I was hired as a Youth Staff if that helps anyone. And how long can it take from having the medical approved by Carnival to actually receiving the assignment?

Thanks a lot!
Old March 14th, 2015, 03:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillarymd View Post
Hi,

I've received the medical back from Medisys and it was sent off to Carnival to get approved. Do you know how long it can take to hear back from them? Someone told me sometimes it's 3 days sometimes 3 months( can they really take THAT long?)

Also, I was hired as a Youth Staff if that helps anyone. And how long can it take from having the medical approved by Carnival to actually receiving the assignment?

Thanks a lot!
Medical approval shouldnt take any time at all. They want to clarify who is valid and who is not quickly.

As for when you start, that is completely separate, once they have confirmed your medical they will then look at staffing levels on the ships. If all the youth staff positions are full on each ship and there are no spaces then you will be put in a gap pool.
If they are short of staff, or somebody is about to leave, then you will get an immediate start.

Its very simple, it just comes down to whether there is a space. It works differently to how employment works on land, cruise lines recruit people in advance so they have "backup" even if they are fully staffed. That is the purpose of the gap pool, to have candidates available for when someone leaves. Your start date will be down to luck pretty much, if your lucky, someone might have just left, so you will go straight on, if your unlucky they maybe fully staffed for months.
In the case of youth staff, I think turnover is probably on the higher side, so I dont think you will need to wait that long.

For my own job I had to wait 5 months from interview to starting work.
Old March 14th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you so much ! That helps me a lot