Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

Old October 25th, 2015, 01:29 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Question regarding dental emergencies for crew members

I am currently in the process of being hired to work aboard a large cruise ship.

I have one concern, however.

I have a number of fillings, crowns and veneers in my mouth that were used to address problem teeth that were chipped, broken etc. I am worried about what will happen if I should encounter a dental problem while working on the ship.

I'm aware that most cruise ships do not have a dentist onboard. Can any current/former cruise ship employees educated me on what will happen if I should lose one of my fillings, crowns or veneers while working onboard.

It has been a lifelong dream of mine to work aboard a cruise ship, and I would hate to avoid employment on a cruise ship due to my fear of encountering a dental emergency that would remain unresolved for the duration of my contract.

Please help me out.

Sincerely,

Deepwater
Old October 25th, 2015, 02:40 AM
Familiar Face

If it was an emergency you'd be off the ship at the next port. One of my colleagues had her wisdom teeth extracted in Mexico and the company paid for her procedure
Old October 25th, 2015, 03:00 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for the response, Karen97!

What if I'm not in severe pain, but it's more of a cosmetic emergency?

Do they have dentists at every port-of-call?

This is actually a very serious concern of mine that I'd like to understand fully before I commit to onboard employment.
Old October 25th, 2015, 03:25 AM
Familiar Face

Seriously, the food is so overcooked in the crew mess, there's no way you'll be breaking a tooth
Old October 25th, 2015, 06:34 AM
Familiar Face

Cosmetic emergency is not a problem, company has dentist in almost every port. Ship's doctor will get you appointment via email. Problem is price. In Nassau for example, replacing a toot filling is about $200 charge.
Old October 25th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Admiral

They will have a cruise ship vetted dentist in pretty much every port of call. They know with 5k passengers things come up and it's a service to them as much as you. I chipped a tooth eating on board and they booked me an appointment in St Martin. I rode with the crew who were headed to the airport in a van and a passenger who was headed to the hospital(nothing life threatening). They also said they would pick me up for free if I called them. As the dentist was about 100 feet from the beach I decided to walk back to the ship which was about a mile.

The only issue you might have is no dentist in the next port, or no day off to go if it's minor. They recommended I go in St. Martin and not the next port. As 999 said you will likely have to pay yourself. I paid $175(cash only) for a last minute appointment, nice doctors office where I felt comfortable, and no insurance I thought it was a great price. The guy said I should get it permanently fixed at home since he had to do a quick fix but it has been 2 years and I've never had an issue with it.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries