Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Flying To Your Cruise

Flying To Your Cruise Discuss all AIRLINE-related topics here - advice on flight times, new airline rules, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 6th, 2018, 06:14 PM
Familiar Face

Angry "Crap" when trying to book cruise line airfare

I don't get this. My next cruise (including addon stays) is June 12-23. We fly on June 12 from Gainesville, Florida (GNV) to Budapest, Hungary for a cruise on the Danube River with AMA Waterways. (I am traveling with my mom.) A phone call to our travel agent got her excited: an offer to flyl for only $981. I don't t hink it was a good flight anyway but the way everything played out is (in the travel agent's words) "st-crap."

This is how it went down: Mom called TA. The TA said she will see if deals for Une 2019 airfare are available from the cruise line. She found one that is too good to pass up and thought we have to get to her office immediately. When we met the TA just 20 minutes later, she said, "This will go quick." In reality, what went quick was the deal for $981. Less than half an hour after a person at AMA Waterways offered a flight at that price, someone at the same phone number said the ticket price is $2,000. Delta sells that flight for over $1,800. The TA said AMA Waterways has done this to her before.

Why does this happen? The cruise line has a contract with the travel agency. Anyone who is involved in booking international flights should know travelers need to be at the agbent's desk and making the decisions about airfare. This is not acceptable to the TA or her clients. It sounds like a breach of contract. Has this happened to anyone else?