Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

Old July 19th, 2017, 11:48 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Transgender individual looking to become crew

I've been researching cruise career opportunities and so far am happy with what I'm seeing. Unfortunately, when looking for information concerning trans crew members, there's not much information. Would they consult me when choosing a male or female room mate, or just choose for me? What happens if your room mate is prejudiced, or otherwise uncomfortable with rooming with a trans person? Could you request a switch, or mention it ahead of time for them to place you with someone who is also LGBT?

Aside from that, I get weekly shots. I have all of the items needed (paperwork, medicine, syringes, etc.), I just have to have a person to deliver the shots for me. Would the medical staff be able to do that every week?

I am already aware that the boat is like a tin can, that I will be stuck with people and some might be prejudiced. I am also aware that gossip run rampant and everyone will be aware that I am trans by the first week. I've never tried to keep it a secret, but I also don't 'flaunt' it. I'm more concerned with what to do when I have a room mate who will be sharing the tiny cabin, and they have a problem with me.

Last edited by d8i8s; July 19th, 2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: More info
Old July 19th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by d8i8s View Post
I've been researching cruise career opportunities and so far am happy with what I'm seeing. Unfortunately, when looking for information concerning trans crew members, there's not much information. Would they consult me when choosing a male or female room mate, or just choose for me? What happens if your room mate is prejudiced, or otherwise uncomfortable with rooming with a trans person? Could you request a switch, or mention it ahead of time for them to place you with someone who is also LGBT?

Aside from that, I get weekly shots. I have all of the items needed (paperwork, medicine, syringes, etc.), I just have to have a person to deliver the shots for me. Would the medical staff be able to do that every week?

I am already aware that the boat is like a tin can, that I will be stuck with people and some might be prejudiced. I am also aware that gossip run rampant and everyone will be aware that I am trans by the first week. I've never tried to keep it a secret, but I also don't 'flaunt' it. I'm more concerned with what to do when I have a room mate who will be sharing the tiny cabin, and they have a problem with me.
It appears that you are getting a bit ahead of yourself in your job search.

Apparently you have no prior cruise ship working experience. This dramatically reduces any chances of a cruise line hiring you.

Your English sounds American. if you carry an American passport, your chances of being hired on an international cruise ship are very small.

Cruise lines are not very interested in hiring crew with existing medical issues. Your need for ship staff to give you regular injections further reduces your chances of employment.

Yes, you would probably have some problems with some less than tolerant crew members from conservative countries. Cruise lines are very reluctant to hire people who might create discord among the crew.
You would also probably have problems with some less than tolerant passengers.
Cruise lines really do not like that.

You and I have identified many good reasons why a cruise line would not want to hire you.
Do you have any good reasons that you can prove or demonstrate why a cruise line would consider you a good potential employee?

You failed to mention what sort of job you hope to get. Do you have any relevant experience for that job? Have you spoken with any recruiters for any cruise lines?

Language skills?
Cruise line experience?
International hospitality experience?
Any hospitality experience?
Any international travel experience?
Lifeboat training, certificate?
Safety training?
Crowd control training?
USPH knowledge or training?

P.S. It's not a boat. It's a ship.

Good Luck.
Old July 20th, 2017, 12:44 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I do not have any preference when it comes to sailing internationally or not, and I've come across a lot of explanations as to why Americans are often not hired. I understand, but I would like to still try and see if I can make it.

My shots are and are not a medical issue, unfortunately. They work best when delivered by someone else, though I have the ability to do them myself. They are not a 'necessity', aren't done to prevent life-threatening conditions, etc. They simply change my hormone levels. If I had enough money I could afford different versions of the same medicine, such as topical gels, patches, etc. The shots are merely the most cost efficient form, and I do not have money to spare at this time. I could theoretically give myself the shots until the first paycheck and use that money to buy a better alternative from then on.

I've been made aware that there are many openly gay crew members, but I understand that homosexuality is often tolerated while transgender individuals are not. I would like to try, regardless. I am the kind of person who keeps a low profile, not standing out overly so in regards to that. The fact that I am transgender is not obvious in the slightest, I've had people quite surprised to find out and some even disbelieving. The main area it would be an issue would be dealing with a room mate, as it would become more obvious within the cabin.

I otherwise have a fair amount of customer service experience, in multiple departments. From a young age (9-18 years old) I assisted my parents with their party business, and I often had to speak with customers on the phone as well as in person. I went on to work with Publix, a grocery store with an excellent customer service reputation, and stayed with them for over 5 years. Within Publix I worked in the deli, bagging and carryout, cashiering, and as a pharmacy tech. My manager chose to cross train me so that I could assist multiple departments, as my quarterly reviews were always top notch.

I understand that the work experience I have is not quite what they are looking for for many of their positions, and that I will have to start at the bottom and work my way up the same as I did at Publix. I've been looking at entry level jobs and am not worried about the low starting pay, it will be more than I am currently saving after bills are paid. I am mostly looking into entry level housekeeping and entry level guest relations, both requiring very little experience and have the most promise to get promoted.

I haven't spoken to any recruiters, I wanted to wait until I had more knowledge about what I was getting into before jumping into the deep end.

I would also like to take some safety courses and the like before applying, though I have only just started to look into those.