Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
First Mate

Default Nickels and Dimes

With recent blogs by Paul and Kuki regarding the additional; charges and supplement fees being charged at Royal Caribbean, I wondered if this approach has been considered.

For those (like myself) who like to know the costs of the trip and hate nasty surprises when the charges are totaled on the last day, can passengers be given the option to pay more for the room up front and have all those miscellaneous charges included in the price? It would be much like an all inclusive resort (except for the Bar - which is too profitable and the lines will never make part of the package) and would, at least for me, make for a more worry free cruise experience.

Those choosing this option would have a different color sail pass to identify them. That way they could still dine at Johnny Rockets, get the better quality dinner steak and call for room service for the 3:00 am munchies without worry. It could include one specialty restaurant of your choice, but if you wanted more than one, you could book it as an extra.

I'm sure this idea is fraught with complications, but I thought I would throw it out for conversation.

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
First Mate

What are they charging for late night room service now?
Last time we used it, it was still free other than the tip,but the menu had diminished to a few cold sandwich choices.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
Captain

$3.95 fee for room service between midnight and 0500.

And I think this is a very relevant thread for the veteran cruiser. Several of us just discussed this aboard the "Brilliance" and the consensus was, charge us a bit more and STOP taking things away.

No more daily newspapers either!
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Captain

dlm, you maybe onto something. People want choices. Some are willing to pay more for the extras. I say give them the option to do so. What does RCL have to lose?

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Here is my problem with that system. I don't know if a cruiseline could really start charging 2 different prices, one with all the extras included, and one without. I like cruising because it is all about choices. I like the idea I get to pick and choose what I decide to purchase and what not to purchase. I don't see it as "nickle and dime" stuff, I look at it as a choice. It's not like any of the changes will cost you anymore if you choose not to purchase or pay for them. These things are perks, not essentials to cruising. If you don't want to pay for room service after midnight, or pay the dollar more for Johnny Rockets, don't do it. I like having the choice, and I don't want to pay more for my cruise just so others can go to Johnny Rockets for free. The reason I love cruising is because of the "ala-carte" nature, I choose how much and what extras I want beyond the essentials already provided in the cruisefare.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
First Mate

Blueliner

That's why I brought up the idea. With the choice, you can select to keep your cabin price lower and choose only the extras you want to pay extra for. As Kuki stated, they already give extra benefits to Diamond members and suite passengers, so why not extend that to those passengers electing the more "all inclusive" package. This way, those willing to pay up front can relax and not be worried by the extra charges. If they don't use all the extras, more profit for the ship, but at least it is easier to budget for what the trip will cost.

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:23 PM
Admiral

I've been on a lot of cruises and never felt like I was " worried " by all the options I had to deal with. It's really pretty simple--if you want something that costs extra, either you buy it and go on with your cruise or simply let it go and again, get on with your cruise. I've never felt " nickled and dimed " by anything--buy it or pass-- but why fret over it !
Regarding the newly imposed charge for room service between 12 a.m. and 5 a.m., it doesn't bother me in the least. First of all, not many people will be eating at those hours. Secondly, when some drunk comes in at 3 a.m and calls room service, orders a tray of god-knows what, then plops down and passes out, the server still has to prepare the food, walk half an mile to deliver it and in many cases gets no response when they gently tap on the door, as the drunk has already passed out and can't come to the door. The server can proceed to wake everyone withing a dozen cabins by loudly pounding on the door or simply tote the food back to the kitchen. Normally when they do deliver room service, people tip them a couple dollars anyway, --with the new charge, the tip is included, so is it really that much of a charge, considering the tips included and the amount of food that is wasted on room service calls at those hours ?

We all want a cruise at rock bottom prices but still expect everything that we could possibly want to to be included at the rock bottom price.
Re/ Johnny Rockets, I've never understood the passion some people seem to have for a burger and fries. It started out good--get a shake, fries and burger in a 50-ish style diner-- that was something different and was ok on a cruise ship.Then the kids took it over, filling up the joint for hours on end, wasting far more than they were eating and keeping other people out, as there was room for only so many. I can understand the charge.
It was aimed at eliminating the ones who would waste the food and keep the seats tied up for hours at a time. It's apparently still popular as it's always full. I never eat there but it doesn't bother me that they have a charge now--I simply make the choice--if I want it, I'll pay the price--if I don't want to pay the price, I don't sulk and fret --I just go on to the buffet or dining room where I can stuff myself silly for no charge.

It's always struck me as kinda funny that people will line up by the dozens at the spa to get a facial, massage, pedicure, etc. ( that anyone could easily do without ) and will purchase several hundred dollars worth of photos ( again that most would be better off without ) and not complain about the cost but when it comes to food or drink, the mere mention of having to pay three or four dollars extra is a real pain.
I go to the store regularly at home and don't fell threatened or pressured by all the options and choices--I get what I want--if I can't or won't pay the price for an item, I simply pass on it --I don't blame the store for having the choices --some buy, some don't--same way on a ship--some will buy a product or service, some won't but it shouldn't be a bother to anyone to make them fret or worry to where it affects their cruise.
It's a cruise--relax, enjoy what you enjoy doing and if you want something buy it. If you're not willing to pay the price, relax and enjoy your cruise anyway. happy sails to all !!
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:45 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie H
No more daily newspapers either!
We love those little sheets, but they were also abused. We would see people taking a copy of each news sheet for every country.

On the other hand it was funny listening to Americans trying to make heads or tails of the Canadian version. You would hear things like Who is Dion? Who is Harper? Who is Layton? What he heck is a Governor-General? What is a minority government? What's GST? CSIS? What the heck is a CSIS?
Old April 3rd, 2009, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm2005
Blueliner

That's why I brought up the idea. With the choice, you can select to keep your cabin price lower and choose only the extras you want to pay extra for. As Kuki stated, they already give extra benefits to Diamond members and suite passengers, so why not extend that to those passengers electing the more "all inclusive" package. This way, those willing to pay up front can relax and not be worried by the extra charges. If they don't use all the extras, more profit for the ship, but at least it is easier to budget for what the trip will cost.
I do understand what you're saying, and I understand why. However, I just don't think a cruiseline, any cruiseline, is going to start offering 2 different cruisefares on the same cabins, one with and one without the extras. But a very interesting idea, none the less. There are some resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean that offer both all-inclusive rates, and non-all-inclusive rates. So it can be done. I just don't think the cruiselines want to open that "pandoras box" of potential problems and complaints from cruisers that didn't pay the higher fare and complain when they have to pay. No matter how well a TA or cruiseline would try and explain it, some cruisers wouldn't understand and flood the cruiseline with complaints. Of course I don't know that for a certainty, but it is what I believe would happen, just my 2 cents.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13