Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via Yahoo to bluejayrover
Default Hooking Up With Cruise Staff

I will be a single traveller on a Oceania cruise next week. I am hoping to hook up for some fun with the one of the cruise staff. Does this happen? And what is the best way to approach the staff person to see if they are interested??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You bat your eyelashes, flirt a bit, use that feminine guile body language, and say goodbye, because chance are you're gonna get em fired
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Welcome Newcomer

So do most crusies have a time for singles to meet?
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Familiar Face

Chances are you will not be meeting any staff during the cruise. It is against company policy for our staff to be fratenizing with cruise ship passengers. There will be a huge repercussion for the staff member if he/she is caught fratenizing with passengers. Hope this helps.
Old January 21st, 2011, 12:25 AM
First Mate

Default Ask for a Single Greeting room

As the others have said, no cruise member will pick up on your advances unless you have a new job for them for life.

You are better off to ask the cruise hospitality staff to arramge a single passenger meet and greet event.
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:25 PM
Familiar Face

Job smob!!

If you're a female, fairly attractive, and determined to score a staff member of the ship, have some confidence. I'm sure you can make that happen.

People hook up with co-workers, customers, and business associates every day. Even against company policy and with the threat of termination, it still happens.

I wish you luck in your endeavor

Carnival- Freedom- December 2008
Royal Caribbean- Navigator of the Seas- February 2011
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:19 PM
First Mate

Default Cruise Companies are not your normal company

No one says one cannot and it does not happen. We are simply informing her that a cruise company has very strict rules not only about being with passengers during working hours but also off hours.
In fact cruise staff are not allowed to be on passenger decks especially in their cabins unless their job requires them to.
Getting fired from a job you took pains to obtain, to pay your own airfare back to where you embarked at the start of your contract is not a great experience.

I'm not saying one cannot meet on shore or between cruises or carry on a relationship between ports of call but on the ship itself is a normally NO NO period. Some exceptions exist between Officers and Staff versa crew.
See link; Working on a Cruise Ship
Quote: "Fraternizing and other Relationships
Are crew members allowed to fraternize with the passengers? On the mass-market and other large ships, the answer is a simple "no." Waiters should not be flirting with passengers and cannot meet with them on board -- they are not allowed in passenger areas, and passengers are not allowed in crew areas. If a waiter sees a guest on shore and they have a meal together there's no harm done, as long as it is consensual. But a waiter who makes overtures to a guest, either on or off board, can find himself in big trouble if the passenger does not feel comfortable about it.

Staff members, however, are generally given the "run of the ship" day and night, and are allowed to have a cocktail in the ship's public rooms. Many times they will develop friendships or relationships with passengers while on board, but staff members are not allowed in passenger cabins and guests cannot go to crew areas
Romance can occur.. agree but rules exist for good reasons on cruise ships.
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:39 AM
Familiar Face

It's pretty against the rules, but still happens. Don't destroy someone's life though, just because you want some action. It's pretty unfair and selfish to put someone in that situation. There will be single guests, stick to them...unless you do have a new life waiting for the crew member you're about to get fired.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 06:17 AM
Admiral

I assume the initial question was for a discussion subject only because it's so far fetched in reality. Why would you want to waste your time seeking out someone who is a crew member? It would be time consuming and of no benefit. They have long work hours, need to sleep too, free time is limited. Find yourself a single female out by the pool, bar, or wherever so there would be adequate time to get to know one another and hang out.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
I assume the initial question was for a discussion subject only because it's so far fetched in reality. Why would you want to waste your time seeking out someone who is a crew member? It would be time consuming and of no benefit. They have long work hours, need to sleep too, free time is limited. Find yourself a single female out by the pool, bar, or wherever so there would be adequate time to get to know one another and hang out.
You'd be surprised how often it happens. I do have to say though, that hardly any women working on a ship would even look at a male guest...they're so busy telling all the crew members hitting on them nonstop to sod off, that they just don't have the energy or time to do it to guests. If you're a male crew though, lots of female guests want to hook up. Crew members are interesting people, who've done a lot, seen a lot, travelled a lot. Women find us fascinating. I actually met someone on a ship once who was a guest, but we were very careful to not cross that line....until she had left, and I invited her to come back and cruise as my guest. Then, it was okay. If you're a male guest...good luck meeting a female crew member...the line forms to the left, behind the entire crew.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
Admiral

By wasting the time, I mean a crew person is limited to free time. Time with another passenger does not have such time constraints.
Old January 24th, 2011, 10:06 AM
First Mate

It does happen mostly with female passengers and male crew members I have seen it. As for any of the crew members fear for their jobs if the heart wants what the heart wants . . .

Old January 24th, 2011, 04:59 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlegator View Post
It does happen mostly with female passengers and male crew members I have seen it. As for any of the crew members fear for their jobs if the heart wants what the heart wants . . .
I really don't think we're talking about matters of the heart here.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFLA View Post
I really don't think we're talking about matters of the heart here.
That happens a lot too. It's pretty romantic, and guests and crew do fall in love. But, it's still against the rules, and it's always game over for the crew member...no matter what.

But, yeah, there are some crazy stories too...but this is a family site
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to rkimm4

Yes it happens...I hooked up with an Officer and actually book cruises on ships that he is working on so we can see each other. Quite fun !!
Old January 26th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default WoW A hot topic!

I didn't mean to set off a flurry of responses. All good to know. As a passenger, I hope to meet another nice passenger and enjoy the cruise. Not a focus by any means - the sights and relaxation are the main focus for me.

Thanks for chipping in on the advice!
Old October 13th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Yes it does happen!

I went on a cruise this past December and i was there 7 days, i was with a captain on the boat. And it was the most amaxing 5 days ever. We met night 2 and met every night after that. We are still in contact! I was sneaking behind the stage to go to crew members rooms to party with them, so yes it does happen!
Old October 16th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Familiar Face

Default well it can work to the benefit of everyone on board...

A beautiful lady friend of mine, who is quite prudish, told me that on her last cruise, the purser, was the first to try to charm her into a date for dinner. She refused, and continued to mind her own business.
The next day, the first officer, thought he would chance it...and too was knocked back.
But by the 5th day, and rejecting many advances, the captain having heard about this, decided there would be a good challenge here, and that no one had ever rejected his charms before. In fact he had a enviable reputation for this.
So he invited her to the captains table, and regaled her with stories and plied her with alcohol, and simply charmed her off her feet.
But there was to be no hanky panky. The next night, in port, he wood her yet again...but still no hanky panky.
The cruise had only three night to go, and after several dates, he had got no further than a peck on the cheek. He was becoming increasingly frustrated that all his wiles and charms were not working this time.
Then on the last but one night, she was approaching him from behind, as she saw him talking to the maitre D. She heard something which really alarmed her. She heard the captain say to the Maitre D " I'm telling you now.. I am going out of my mind....if I dont get that woman into my bed tonight, I dont think I can be held responsible for my actions..... I will sink the ship"....
And so I asked her, what happened next. She told me that she single handedly can claim to have saved the lives of 3600 passengers that night !!!
Old October 18th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Admiral

The staff can be fired for this, so don't even try. On my last cruise there was a member of the staff I was flirting back and forth with, but I would have never made an advance on her, as much as I wanted to, because I knew it would have cost her her job, so in the end you end up costing them more than either of you gain.
Old October 19th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Admiral

Just book a singles cruise next time with a singles cruise company. Google them. The largest groups are on the Halloween cruises.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Admiral

Actually, any travel agency with an industry identifier can book you through singlescruise.com Whether they actually will or not is an entirely different matter. Some agents feel they are taking business away, but I see it as simply expanding to a new product line without having to have a full offering set up yourself. Only companies I trust for singles cruises are singlescruises.com and vacationstogo.com(though this is a direct competitor). Princess has some singles cruise offerings for the 40+ crowd(kinda irritating to me since I am a single in my 30s and love Princess Cruise Lines). Plenty of options.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I highly recommend any singles might enjoy the company of other singles passengers instead...because Ill say this ...dont waste your time with the crew or fall for them...
the crew will discuss you and you wont want to know about it. ; ) or you might land in as Ive seen ...so many situations, where women are paying for crew to fly around the place to hook up its a real sham and a dead end .... maintain your dignity and avoid those flighty situations.....and enjoy a great cruise without hassles later on...!
Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:16 PM
Admiral

I second that motion, but not all crew take advantage of passengers, but like I said, it can cost them their job and possibly get them blacklisted from the industry.
Old November 15th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Just had to put my two cents in on this one. I met a crew member while in port overnight. It was 2nd night of the cruise and we ended up spending the next 5 nights together. We kept in touch and I have since been on 3 more cruises to spend time with him (at his expense) and he will be coming to my hometown next month to spend 3 weeks when his contract is up. He is an amazing guy and I have never once felt taken advantage of by him. Love can definitely happen anywhere!
Old October 20th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenx03 View Post
I went on a cruise this past December and i was there 7 days, i was with a captain on the boat. And it was the most amaxing 5 days ever. We met night 2 and met every night after that. We are still in contact! I was sneaking behind the stage to go to crew members rooms to party with them, so yes it does happen!
Just find dj Shawn on the carnival fantasy cruise i'm sure he'll hook up with who ever wants it lmfao he has a wife that works on the cruise ship too he just sneaks around on here! I went on a cruise last year and about 4 of the workers would sit and talk to me flirt so i honestly don't think they care about they're jobs to much !
Old March 31st, 2014, 03:12 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I recently got to know the most gorgeous man ever in the world on the carnival magic. He was amazing
I'd love to find him. He's the kind of person I've dreamt of all my life. I know his first name and his job, and where he is from.

How do i get in touch with him?
Old March 31st, 2014, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany Harter in kansas View Post
I recently got to know the most gorgeous man ever in the world on the carnival magic. He was amazing
I'd love to find him. He's the kind of person I've dreamt of all my life. I know his first name and his job, and where he is from.

How do i get in touch with him?
Bottom line, not a good idea, unless you just like costing someone a job and having them hate you for it. I have a friend who was part of the entertainment staff, and though she is attractive(though I am not into her that way, but there was another woman who did work on board I had my eye on, but the same goes for her), I would never had tried to date her for that very reason. No relationship is worth costing someone their job, and anybody who would do that to someone could never really love them, as that is a selfish act and real love is selfless. I am just trying to get to the key point here and not judge you, but only make you think.
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:24 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I'm so so sorry. It was never my intent to cost anyone a job. You are right. I am wrong. Thank you for your advise. I will bow out gracefully and only wish that person well in life. For he did represent himself and the company so well you don't get that from the 50 states. Ty
Old June 29th, 2014, 03:06 AM
Welcome Newcomer

This thread is very interesting, and I thought I'd add my own story of attempted romance on a cruise ship. It was December 1991, and I had just turned 18. I was traveling on the Carnival Cruise Lines ship called the Festivale.

The ship employed a lot of British female dancers, and one of them caught my eye. I enjoyed her performances, and I interacted with her a little bit when she was running some of the ship's activities. But these interactions were brief and business-like. I needed a way to get her attention on a personal, romantic level.

Towards the end of the cruise, we had what was called a "Party Under the Stars". I asked her to dance with me, and she said that she unfortunately was not allowed to do so because she worked on the ship. This was disappointing, to say the least. I looked around, and all the attractive women I saw were ship's dancers. I heard that the ship's resident magician (a guy whose stage name was Phil the Pretty Good) also was asked to dance, and that he, too, turned down the request.

Fast forward to 1995. I went to an online forum for cruises, and I asked about this so-called policy of not allowing ship's employees to dance with the passengers. The people on that forum were very surprised to hear my story. They told me that, on most cruise lines, entertainment staff ARE allowed to fraternize with passengers (whereas service staff like waiters are not). I then asked Carnival's front office about this policy, and Carnival confirmed that entertainment staff ARE allowed to fraternize with passengers. My theory is that the Festivale's captain instituted his own policy of no fraternization, disregarding the front office.

Unfortunately, this dancer (and all the other dancers) were introduced to us by their first names only - which is kind of weird since the waiters and busboys had name tags identifying their first AND last names. Because this was the pre-Internet era, I did not realize that, in the future, I would be able to use the Internet to look people up. So, I did not bother trying to find out her last name (or the last names of any of the other attractive dancers). Therefore, I have not been able to google these dancers or find them on Facebook.