Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Admiral

Default Buying cruise clothes on a budget

Just a note to all you who think you need to spend a fortune for a new wardrobe of cruise wear. You don't! I just found my formal night dress for under $30 it's very unique and colorful, my second formal night dress I got on sale last year also $30 found shoes to match for $16, got 2 new bathing suits for $8.00 each end of summer sale. Im almost all set whoopie!
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Admiral

showcat,

Just a note to all you who think you need to spend a fortune for a new wardrobe of cruise wear. You don't! I just found my formal night dress for under $30 it's very unique and colorful, my second formal night dress I got on sale last year also $30 found shoes to match for $16, got 2 new bathing suits for $8.00 each end of summer sale. Im almost all set whoopie!

You make a great point -- it is NOT necessary to spend a fortune on a cruise wardrobe!

>> For ladies, many consignment shops and thrift shops get dresses that somebody of means has worn only once or twice and sell them for substantially less than normal retail prices.

>> For gents, many tuxedo shops sell former rental formalwear that has been worn only a few times at substantial discount. If a piece fades ever so slightly, they can't rent it to wedding parties and such because it won't match properly, but it's fine for stand-alone wear.

>> Liquidators such as Building 19 here in Massachusetts and Railroad Salvage in Connecticut often get formalwear from factory overruns, insurance salvage, or other sources looking to get rid of it.

>> Many regular formalwear shops also have sales on discontinued items at the end of the season where one can get brand new formalwear at major discounts.

Finally, I strongly recommend buying formalwear in classic styles that will not become dated. It will serve the average cruiser for years, and the odds of encountering somebody who has seen your outfit before are pretty slim.

Happy cruising!

Norm.
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Admiral

All my clothes are brand new, except I did find a black wool blazer today at a thrift store for just $5.00. Id rather spend the money I save on cruiseing and travel! I splurged last cruise on one expensive formal night dress but I've always gotten as many compliments on the things that did not cost a lot. I think it's having a good eye for fit, fabric, colors and styles that work for you. I get lots of idea from fashion magazines and then look for less expensive versions.
Old October 11th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Admiral

I always shop the end of season sales for my cruise and formalwear.
You might still be able to find some summer things on clearance.
If you are cruising after the first of the year, wait for the after Christmas/Holiday clearance sales, you can really get some great deals on Special Occassion Formal Wear.
Old October 11th, 2006, 04:35 PM
First Mate

going back to my Coldwater Creek addiction I just got 4 pairs of cropped pants in assorted colors, originally priced $49/pair, for 12.99/pair, and they are excellent quality!
Old October 11th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Admiral

showcat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
... I've always gotten as many compliments on the things that did not cost a lot.
I'm not surprised. I can tell from your pic that you really make the clothes that you wear. Even something that looks totally dumpy on the hanger will suddenly come alive when you put it on!

Norm.
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Passenger

Default budget clothes

I like overstocks.com, landsend.com (there is an overstock section with good prices) and also after the holidays for formalwear, wraps, shoes and evening bags that are really marked down!
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Admiral

Thanks Norm (blush) I am a bargain hunter, and I love getting a great deal, and of course Id rather take a bunch of cruises then have closet full of designer purses, and clothes, and then have no budget to travel with. The mark up on most items in this country is insane, so why pay full price if you can get the same things cheaper?
Old October 18th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Default Buying Cruise Clothes on a Budget

I went shopping today with hopes of finding an evening top for my Dec. cruise. I put two on hold. Luckily, I didn't buy them, because after I came home, I sat down and listed what I'd need. Guess what? I have half of my cruise wardobe planned! Shoes remain problem as usual, with my problem feet.

At an end-of-summer sales, I found a light aqua linen jacket that was $44 for $14, and a two-piece deep aqua T and cropped pant set for $23.

Judy
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Yeoman

End-of-the-season sales are the best. The prices in department stores such as Bloomingdales and Macys are usually less than they are in the discount stores such as TJ Maxx.

As far as winter evening wear -- the stores start marking down the holiday stuff BEFORE Christmas, so pay attention!
Old October 20th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Admiral

good going Judy! i love aqua.
Have you tried Zappos.com for shoes? I have very narrow feet and have had really good luck at Zappos.
P J Miner makes shoes for people with foot problems.