Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

Old November 27th, 2000, 08:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Teen activities on the Destiny

My teens (14, 16) and a 19 year old almost adult are cruising with us on the Carnival Destiny for Christmas break. Am starting to get concered after reading some boards on another site. Complaints seem to be coming from teens about their not being enough to do, no places for the kids at night etc. etc. My kids were really looking forward to going and now are concered when they read these posts.
Lauren, know that you are an experienced teen cruiser and have been on the Destiny, what can you tell me about what they can expect? I also thought the teen program included 16 year olds. Just want them to be as excited as they have been.
Thanks!!
Old December 3rd, 2000, 05:46 PM
Passenger

Default RE: Teen activities on the Destiny

First of all, let me tell you. You have absolutely nothing to worry about! The Destiny is one of the largest ships in the Carnival fleet, and there are plenty of activities for teenagers on board. I know this VERY well - the ship's engine had a problem while we were on board and to make a long story short, we ended up adrift in the ocean for 1 1/2 days (everything on the ship worked except the engine which makes it run) and didn't get to go to any islands or anything. I was never bored.

Teens under 18 are not allowed in the disco after midnight. I've probably been reading the same posts as you have (Cruise Critic?) about there not being enough for teens to do at night. I disagree! Some nights we were asked to leave the disco, but others we weren't. Near the end of the cruise, they'll probably want to be in bed by midnite anyways! . For example, on our second night we were asked to leave the disco. The last night we were there, we weren't asked to leave and stayed there until 3am when it actually closed. It just depends on who the guards are, how crowded the disco is, etc I think.

There is plenty to do on board this ship!!!! Here are some of my favorite spots and things to do: ~~the pools and waterslide during the day (they close around 8, the aft pool closes later, 11 I think)~~the jacuzzi's in the gym - there are no little kids around, if you're sunburned you won't get any more sun, and it's a lot quieter and easier to talk than the outdoor ones. we stayed in one of them for 4 hours one day! as long as you don't get really noisy, it's no problem~~the disco at night, before the teens get kicked out. the dance floor is awesome and they have hundred's of TV screens...sometimes you even get to be on the TV's!~~the video arcade. it has some really cool games, the only problem is that most of them are pretty expensive to play and it adds up really fast~~the Palladium lounge has some pretty good shows, and during the day sometimes they play movies, so it's like a movie theatre. we watched on of the movies one afternoon~~Destiny's Way (the strip on level 5 that runs almost the length of the ship onto which a lot of the lounges and such are located) had couches and chairs all along it, we just sat there and talked a lot~~ on deck 3, between the dining room and shore tour/information desks, on the side walls, there are doors on either side. if you go outside these doors, you're on a small deck 3 decks above the sea. there are lounge chairs running the length of it and it's a good place to just go and talk~~the pizzeria (open 24 hours a day!!) awesome food!!~~Deck 11 has a "lobby" area, right before you enter the juice bar and aerobics room area. There is a ping pong table and you can go play almost any time of the day~~

There are plenty of other things to do on board the ship, but these were some of my favorites. I would highly recommend that your teens go to the Teen Meeting on the first night. Not all of the teens go but I did meet a fair amount. I met the others by just saying hi to everyone that looked to be around my age as I walked around the ship. At dinner, there was a family at our table with a girl my age which also helped. Just being friendly helps so much in meeting new people! That's where the fun of cruises is for me, not being able to be in the disco whenever I want to be.

Now, this is my little secret about the Destiny. The majority of our time at night was spent here, whether we'd gotten kicked out of the disco (or other places or not. It was definitely my favorite spot on the ship. I've recommended it to several other teens that have gone on the Destiny, and they all have said that they loved it, and that they never would've found it if I hadn't told them about it. So remember this! On decks 6 and 7, go allllllll the way to the very FRONT of the ship (be careful not to go to the back by accident, it's a long walk back to the front!!). On both sides of the ship, there are doors out to the side. Go out these doors, and there will be a deck, probably 35/40 feet long by about 15 feet wide. There are 2 benches and a couple chairs. The view is gorgeous (ocean on three sides, all the stars at night!). One day we were out there and we saw dolphins along the side of the ship! It wasn't any special deck or anything, but it was just nice. No one knew about it, so it was private. The security guards didn't kick us out. We could do pretty much whatever we wanted out there, and it wouldn't disturb anyone. So basically it was the perfect place to go! It doesn't sound that great but it was really cool. Just a note ~ if the doors going out won't open, it's not because they are locked or because they're stuck. The wind on the front of the boat is really strong, because the boat picks up a lot of speed at night. So it makes the doors difficult to open. I'll post a picture up on this board on a separate post.

This is the best advice I can give you! Any more questions or anything at all, write to me! [email protected] I promise it won't take as long to respond, it's just that I have typed this entire thing up twice and my computer has frozen when I tried to post it. Have fun!!!!

Lauren
Old December 4th, 2000, 11:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE: Teen activities on the Destiny

Thanks again Lauren. Printed off your reply and my teens are taking it with them on the ship.
Old December 5th, 2000, 01:18 PM
Passenger

Default Destiny Pic - Front of Boat Group

Here is a picture of a group of us on board the Destiny on the front of the boat (like I talked about in my post about things to do on the Destiny).