Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

Old August 10th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: what was your worst cruise?

> We felt the styling of the ship was less than warm and too glitzy in a plastic sort of way.

>We asked for a large table at dinner and were seated at a table for three, including us.

> We booked a suite and they did not have a bedspread available and the room had to be turned down with sheets and blankets open all day long.

> Our stewardess electronically locked us out of our cabin four times which required waiting about 45 minutes each time to overcome the electronic malfunctions. It was required that we wait for someone in management because the cabin steward wasn't allowed to over-ride the system.

> The closet door did not have a latch and kept opening and closing on its own both day and night, loud bangs included.

> The food in the dining room was less than adequate in quality.

> The furniture in the public spaces was cheap and less than comfortable.

> We didn't like the fake animal/rainforest/jungle noises in the atrium swimming pool area. Silence or quiet music might have been a better choice.

We did however enjoy the alternative dining room and the buffet was better than most.

Post Edited (08-10-05 12:36)
Old August 12th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Cindie

Default Re: what was your worst cruise?

You want BAD! How about Carnival Jubilee out of LA - not sure of the year - around '95 or so - Mexican Riviera - ghastly! NO air conditioning in our cabin the first 3 days (do y'all realize how HOT Mexico is in July?!) - complaints fell on deaf ears - they didn't have the parts to fix it. 4th night I had had it - there are my Mom and DH laying on the beds with their heads wrapped in towels because of sweating in our little furnace room - so about 9 pm I go out to the front desk and tell them I want to see the captain right now - they want to know why? I tell them "because he is sleeping in our cabin tonight and we will sleep in his" - oh no! How can this happen? In about 20 minutes, we had A/C - the parts magically appeared. That wasn't the worst of it - one night in dining room DH orders some kind of a cold salmon appetizer and it comes with 3 long black hairs right on top - the waiter couldn't see that? Same night the waiter goes to pour ice tea in my glass and with the tea, out pours 3 cigarette butts! Nasty, nasty, nasty! The next day we get a call that we are "required" in the hotel mgrs office in a couple of hours - oh good, I can give him an earful. We show up and he has 3 stacks of cash on his desk. Lots of apologies from him and he gives us each back 3/4 of our paid cruise fare in US cash! We didn't ask for it, nada - he insisted that all the problems weren't Carnival standard and so we finished out the cruise but have vowed NEVER to go on Carnival again - not even for a free trip. I did write to customer no-service and the president of Carnival detailing all the problems when we returned home. They sent me a letter about 6 months later with a coupon for 5% off our next Carnival cruise. What part of NEVER AGAIN ON CARNIVAL didn't they understand?!!!! Their loss, not ours - all our $ has gone to the other cruise lines ever since - we are now on cruise # 15 or 16 (how do you all keep track of all of them?!) so they have lost big bucks.
Old August 15th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Out of over 100 cruises, the one and only one that really qualifies for this question is--------Carnivals Festivale. We sailed this tub on a 3 day to the Bahamas, and besides the hard core RAP music that was being played by the deck bartenders,,,our main problem was that raw sewage was coming up into our shower. We went to the purser, and they informed us that there were no more cabins, and they would fix the problem. The fix was to dump some kind of disinfectant into the shower, then stuff a towell into the drain. Needless to say, that didn't work. Thank GOD it was a short cruise, because the odor was absolutely terrable!! They offered us $50,,,then $100, which we declined. When we returned home, they sent us a check for 100% refund of the fare. At least Carnival made it right. (We used the refund to book another cruise, on another line.)
Ken
Old August 17th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Katerina

I agree with you. I find second hand smoke very annoying. I don't feel that I should be subjected to someone elses nasty habit. Then there are the ones who are on a balcony beside you smoking and the smell of the smoke is so bad that you can't enjoy the balcony that you paid extra for. For those who do wish to smoke, I wish they had a designated room or lounge thats ventilated just for them. Some states now have laws banning smoking in public places, ie. restaraunts, why not cruise ships. I know smoking is not allowed in dining rooms just an example of a public place.

As far as our worst cruise. I would not say it was a bad cruise, maybe we were just disappointed in the ship. That would be the Caribbean Princess - April 04' - to the Western Caribbean. Our balcony room (Aloha Deck mid-ship) was smaller that what we remember from the Grand Princess and food was not very good and the choices were limited. Personal choice dining was a circus.

Old September 7th, 2005, 09:41 AM
westvirginiawhitetrash

Carnival Miracle 08/28/05 western caribbean
Old September 7th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Passenger

Norwegian Sea

bad service
bad food
old ship
Old September 7th, 2005, 08:44 PM
lasqua

NCL Dawn June 2005

Really really bad food. Usually skipped lunch. Buffet food was inedible. Dining room food was ok, main entre usually good, Ponderosa quality sides. CD constantly interrupted the only decent entertainment on the ship. Balcony room very cramped for 3 people. Beds were like sleeping in slightly padded bathtubs.
Old September 8th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Terry Mcbride

What a baby!!!!!!
Old September 10th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Bobrich

Been cruising for about 20 years. Most cruises are fun. I've never really had a bad time on a cruise, but some are certainly better than others. 2 bad cruises come to mind.

XMAS 2001 Adventure of the Seas from San Juan. Many people canceled after 9-11. We were on a cruise that cost us lots of $$$ while many people had paid very little. RCCL sold cabins to locals in San Juan for almost nothing. We were among very few English speaking folks. Not your usual RCCL Caribbean cruise. People were rude, dressed poorly ( torn jeans on formal night). The ship was gorgeous, but many people were pigs...dropping stuff on the floors,decks, etc. Staff on the ship was very good. but the people were awful.

The other cruise that wasn't too good.. Millenium June 2004 Europe..lost luggage, delayed planes, poor excursions, closed attractions ( Vatican museums, Sistine Chapel, Colleseum, Museums in Florence, Doges Palace, all civic museums in Venice, etc.) Also, broken camera and had pocket picked in Barcelona. Nice people.. we had a good time, but didn't really get to see the sites of Europe.
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Beginner

RCI Mariner, Jan23 2005 - Infestation of Norovirus. My husband caught it and was quarantined for 3 days, my son caught it and we were lied to about his "status" and the entire family of 4 was quarantined for 24 hours and not allowed to disembark in Grand Cayman. Getting sick was not the problem, being lied to by staff was! After the cruise RCI customer service was extremely rude and unhelpful and offered us a % off a future cruise credit. My husband swears we will never cruise RCI again! There were moments during this cruise that we wished we were having a bad day at work! We will definitely cruise as a family again, just never with RCI!
Old September 14th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Beginner

15 years ago my husband's son and his wife asked us if we would go on a cruise with them, she worked for the airline and could give us a good deal, we let her do all the planning. The only cruising we knew about was from watching the love boat.The boat was ncl Norway, older even then. They had to fly in earlier than we did because of her standby status, no problem there, but we got lost in Miami trying to find our hotel, I was more scared 24 hours in miami than I have EVER been in Mexico (sorry)
Next day at embarkation we waited 4 hours in line to find out she had booked us the cheapest guarantee rooms on the ship, we get on to find we are on the LOWEST floor possible and they could not even put the beds together. I lost it!! after I cried a bit we went to the desk and asked about changing rooms, fortunately the ship wasn't too full and we were able to upgrade for 125$, quite a bit back then. After that we learned all the fun things about cruising and are now on our 5th cruise in dec. Thank goodness we are easy going and were willing to try again, although it took us 10 years to go on our next cruise.
Old October 10th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Passenger

Didn't know there was such a thing as a bad cruise! I've certainly never had one.