Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Default Door slammers

Why is it so hard for people to just close a door and not slam it. We would be out on our balcony relaxing and then you get these door bangers all around you. BANG, BANG, BANG!!! It was just so annoying. I can't believe that people don't have more consideration for their fellow cruisers. It wasn't just balcony doors, it was cabin doors, all hours of the night. I guess I was just raised to be more considerate of people around me. Well, that's my gripe.

Need some cruise help?
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Captain

I agree.
Very noisy at night with people coming and going and the doors bang shut.
I know they have those door things to make sure they close but just stand a moment and let it close quietly.
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Sometimes, people just don't think of others. It could be that they are on vacation and assume that everyone else is still up and about, not always the case.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 25th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Admiral

You must have been on Carnival. Those doors are a BAD design-the balcony doors on other lines SLIDE and so since they slide and are not super heavy like the Carnival doors they do not slam.

Which was my problem- I TRIED not to slam the balcony door but the thing was so heavy and then while out at sea-with the heavy winds-the wind would catch it and SLAM it.

We are booked on Carnival next year-but no balcony for me! I will sleep better in an inside cabin on Carnival.

Now I LOVED the balconies on Celebrity, Princess and Disney! They are GREAT! and their sliding doors are much easier to manuveir when out in the ocean with lots of wind! nothing like Carnival's balcony doors.

BTW-to the OP- even though you were unaware of it I am sure you slammed your door also-I know I did and it did not seem that loud to me when I did it-but I realized from others slamming doors how bad the ocean echoes the noise of shutting your door. what sounded like a small noise to you was magnified about 10 times for your neighbor.

If you don't believe me- just try a balcony on another line and you will be AMAZED how QUIET it is!
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I have been in two balcony cabins and neither of the doors slammed close. They both closed slowly and quietly. Now, the last cruise I was on the neighbors would close the door themselves, and slam it, naturally, I was in bed trying to sleep (almost alseep) when they would start to slam. They also would slam the wardrobe doors. I was going to ask them to please not do it, but once I heard them talking on the balcony I soon realized they didn't speak a word of English.....c'est la vie.

It was annoying, but it didn't ruin my trip!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Admiral

I was VERY careful about closing all the doors because I knew how annoying it was hearing the slamming doors. I always held the balcony door until it was fully closed. We closed the cabin door very easy also to keep it from closing loudly. It looked like the doors where designed in a different way to begin with (with the hydrolic closer) and then that was taken off and just allowed to shut on it's own. It won't keep us from getting another balcony. It's just one of those things that you would think people would be more aware of what they are doing, you know they have to hear the other doors slamming and know that it is loud. My complaining about it won't change a thing, it just lets me vent. We enjoyed having the balcony and will get one again.

Need some cruise help?
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Admiral

I'm glad to see that there are other folks besides myself, who find the door slammers to be a pain the the arse.
I raised this same gripe a few years ago and was bashed verbally over the head for my trouble.
There is no excuse for slamming a door, whether it be a cabin door or a balcony door. It's not the fault of the design but the operator of the door.
Yes there may be an ocassion where the door blows shut but that's an exception--not the rule. It's a door--- not a complicated piece of machinery. Really--it shouldn't be hard to figure out how to operate it.

I would be willing to bet that if you got out of one of the door slammers cars and slammed their car door the way some of them slam their cabin door that they would raise holy heck !!
Remember Aretha Franklin's song " RESPECT " ? That's what it's about.
Old October 26th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Admiral

As I said, if it bugs you, go on a line besides Carnival-or else don't book a balcony on Carnival. That is what we decided. We still go on Carnvial, we just never book balconies on Carnival.

Hopefully Carnival will in the future, design the balcony doors better on their newer ships. I wonder what the doors will be like on the Splendor?

I also do not like-that on the lido and higher outside decks that there are also doors that don't slide open and closed. I had a person let a door slam behind on me and my ankle was caught-it bled like crazy-and this was a man, middleaged like me,you would have thought he would have held the door for me, instead of slamming the door ON me -I still do not understand how it happened as it was my ankle not the front of my foot and I was right behind him. I guess I must hav ebeen kind've turned on my side. Not sure-I just only remember the PAIN!

One thing though, I honestly don't believe he realized my foot was slammed in the door. He was gone by the time I realized it. So for safety reasons also, Carnival needs to correct this, the doors are super heavy and when it is windy, they just seem to slam almost on their own.
Old November 24th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Beginner

I agree why do people have to slam doors. Same thing happens in hotels and its 4* & 5 * hotels as well. I have had a few conversations with people about this while traveling. I also confronted a neighbor once on a cruise. They had kids playing in the hallway running back and forth swinging off the rails at 2 AM. I asked them nicely to stop and he said "we paid for our cruise like you did" of course they were in an inside cabin across the way from our suite. You know the loud "redneck" nascar fan types. I finally told them that it was going to stop or I would get security it got quiet after that.

Getting next to the door slammers is just the luck of the draw sometimes. Some doors have poor designs and are much louder then others. I have poked my head out the door many times to see what idiot keeps slamming the door.
Old November 24th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Hey, I'm a redneck nascar fan!! I don't slam doors or run up and down the hall all night. Some of us rednecks are civilized. We had somebody outside our door late one night yelling at his GF, "you looked at him, I saw you look at him!!" As far as the door slammers, maybe they don't realize what they are doing, but I would think that they could hear other doors slamming and realize what it sounds like and then make an effort to be careful. I loved the balcony and will try to have one our next cruise, and I'm sure I will complain about the door slammers again. Happy cruising to all, from a redneck nascar fan

Need some cruise help?
Old November 24th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJourney
I agree why do people have to slam doors. Same thing happens in hotels and its 4* & 5 * hotels as well. I have had a few conversations with people about this while traveling. I also confronted a neighbor once on a cruise. They had kids playing in the hallway running back and forth swinging off the rails at 2 AM. I asked them nicely to stop and he said "we paid for our cruise like you did" of course they were in an inside cabin across the way from our suite. You know the loud "redneck" nascar fan types. I finally told them that it was going to stop or I would get security it got quiet after that.

Getting next to the door slammers is just the luck of the draw sometimes. Some doors have poor designs and are much louder then others. I have poked my head out the door many times to see what idiot keeps slamming the door.
I resent your characterization of NASCAR fans. I happen to be one. I also have an MBA, all of my teeth, wear a tux on formal night, use proper table manners and can conduct myself quietly in public.

Time to get your nose out of the air :evil:

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
Quote:

I resent your characterization of NASCAR fans. I happen to be one. I also have an MBA, all of my teeth, wear a tux on formal night, use proper table manners and can conduct myself quietly in public.

Well I never said all, but we know the type I am talking about. They guy who wears blue jeans the entire trip and the NASCAR T-Shirts. The passenger who brags about not owning a tie. He also is loud, rude and a peon. You know the type we all know it. Like it or not we all have had to deal with "bubba jr." as I call them before. This is a gripe board if you can't handle it because it hurts your "wittle" feelings then move on.
Old November 25th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Didn't hurt my feelings. But, we are not all the "bubba jr" types either. It's like Harley riders all being lumped together as being rapers and killers. I rode on the back of my exes Harley for years and we never killed or raped anyone!! All Harley riders are not bad and all Nascar fans are not bad. But, all doors slammers are inconsiderate people

Need some cruise help?
Old November 25th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well I never said all, but we know the type I am talking about. They guy who wears blue jeans the entire trip and the NASCAR T-Shirts. The passenger who brags about not owning a tie. He also is loud, rude and a peon. You know the type we all know it. Like it or not we all have had to deal with "bubba jr." as I call them before. This is a gripe board if you can't handle it because it hurts your "wittle" feelings then move on.
I have been on this board for years and you have 5 posts total, how can you presume to tell me to move on? This is a gripes board not a hostility board. If your obviously inflated ego is offended becuase you were called for an unwarranted stereotype maybe you are the one whose "wittle" feelings got hurt. Please do not try to make up the rules of engagement until you are appointed to the Cruisemates staff.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old November 25th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Admiral

We had a balcony on the Carnival Freedom. Yes, the balcony doors would slam but that didn't bother me as much as the cabin door slamming from the hallway. Kids running and screaming throughout the night. I will not do a holiday cruise again because of the kids running loose.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 25th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Admiral

We cruised over the Thanksgiving holiday last year and swore we would not do it again because of the kids that were allowed to run around all hours of the night. No parents in sight!!

Need some cruise help?
Old November 25th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Admiral

I agree that inconsiderate people are a pain, BUT...

When we cruised the Pearl we `had a balcony cabin.

A couple times I opened the balcony while the passage way door was open and BOOM the wind sent everything out in to the hall that was not tied down and slammed the door shut.

I forgot a couple times so I guess I was a slammer.
I did open the door and said "sorry"
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Admiral

No, you're not a " slammer " because your door slammed shut a couple times. You are a slammer when you door slams shut, be it balcony or cabin door, everytime you go in and out.

But, there's a few folks out there who just can't handle complicated machinery like wheelbarrows, doors, etc.
Old November 26th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Admiral

True Ron, true.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 26th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Ever notice that mid-level and above hotels (the ones without numbers in the name) have spring loaded doors?
If you just let the door go, they'll slam.
Old November 26th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Yep, its what you pay for in a decent hotel, just like decent ships.

Those little extras like the providing of a controlled "door return" that leave you NOT in the position of....Do I risk life and limb to stop this internal heavy room door from slamming as I walk in or out or let it slam?

Just do the decent thing and place your personal safety and body in the way of a bad design, in a way that we other cruisers will respect that and if the noise is reduced to the sound of body parts getting squished, thanks : 8)
Old November 26th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Yep, its what you pay for in a decent hotel, just like decent ships.

Those little extras like the providing of a controlled "door return" that leave you NOT in the position of....Do I risk life and limb to stop this internal heavy room door from slamming as I walk in or out or let it slam?

Just do the decent thing and place your personal safety and body in the way of a bad design, in a way that we other cruisers will respect that and if the noise is reduced to the sound of body parts getting squished, thanks : 8)
But Dayvid if they do that the screaming will be worse then the door slamming. Unless you can squish your body parts quietly. I would appreciate that.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Admiral

I never squish anything of me quietly, experience should have told you that 8), Sorry I cannot fulfill your dream...big screamer and then blame it on everyone else, your fault I screamed
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
I never squish anything of me quietly, experience should have told you that 8), Sorry I cannot fulfill your dream...big screamer
Oh well just slam the door then.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They shouldn't have been slamming doors and making noise, but I can tell from your tone that you probably didn't actually ask them NICELY to stop. I bet you put them in the crosshairs of the sights located down the tip of your nose and more or less told them to stop. And here's a newsflash: I bet you have annoyed people onboard before also.

May the seas smile upon you!
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Actually the term 'redneck' comes from the habit of early American colonist wearing wigs. The good wigs were made of either human hair or horse hair. The cheap wigs were made of goat hair. The goat hair wigs were very rough and left a red rash on the back of the neck, a redneck. It actually meant a person of meager means, not a crude or uncivilised person. Nascar fans may be universally crude or uncivilised but would not be caught dead in a goat hair wig!
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!