Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

Old June 21st, 2011, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default So, What is The Catch?

I want to start a thread about hidden fees and things you are not told when you book or take a cruise. It can be related to the airlines, hotels and shore excursions as well.

For example - you book flight to Ft Lauderdale at a certain rate - but you are not told until after you have clicked "OK" that there is a baggage fee of $38 per person per bag each way - for a family of five that becomes $380 extra dollars.

Or - you buy a drink at a bar on a cruise ship and you see a space there to add a grauity - but you are not told, except in the fine print - that an automatic gratuity has already been added to your drink.

You book a shore excursion to see a special place - but you are not told that you will also be dropped in a tourist-trap shopping mall with absolutely nothing to do but look and consider buying trinkets for over an hour. You paid a lot of money for that cruise and that shore tour, and you want to see your destination. Instead you are staring at four walls of kitschy clutter you wouldn't want to carry home on the plane anyway.

You book a special "Spa Stateroom" but you find that all it comes with is proximity to the Spa. You don't get free spa treatments - just quick access to the same steamroom everyone else on the ship can use.

WHAT'S THE CATCH???

What is the one thing you feel you should have been told up front by the travel agent, cruise line, spa manager, tour operator, tour guide, etc. that you didn't hear until it was too late?
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:51 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Can't say I have been surprised by any hiddens really.... if researched properly, there should be no surprises at all.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:59 PM
Admiral

On our last cruise we booked a tour to a historic synagogue .Included on the tour was a brief visit to a cemetary . We researched the tour prior to booking as we always do .

As it turned out the visit to the synagogue was 12 minutes and the brief cemetary stop was 40 minutes .
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

fun2cruiz....

Really? In other words - you're in sales, right?
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I got a $400 voucher from American Airlines for allowing myself to be bumped.

I used it a month ago to book a flight in December PHX to FLL. They told me I had the reservation and to mail the voucher in. I did.

Well, I never got a confirmation of the flight, so finally I went to look it up online and while I could see my reservation code for the flight, it was marked "canceled."

They had canceled my reservation for no good reason - and had not notified me. I called the airline yesterday and the agent said "well, I don't know why it was canceled, but because it was so far out they usually don't tell you right away."

Real Nice. Meanwhile the voucher is only good for a year, and I had mailed it in, and they are sitting on it while I think I have a flight booked. How do you "research" that one so there are "no surprises" when they didn't tell me my reservation had been canceled? I was just waiting by the mailbox for my tickets to arrive.

I called and the agent reinstated my flight - and made sure I would get another voucher for the remainder of the original $400 I didn't use.
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:51 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I got a $400 voucher from American Airlines for allowing myself to be bumped.

I used it a month ago to book a flight in December PHX to FLL. They told me I had the reservation and to mail the voucher in. I did.

Well, I never got a confirmation of the flight, so finally I went to look it up online and while I could see my reservation code for the flight, it was marked "canceled."

They had canceled my reservation for no good reason - and had not notified me. I called the airline yesterday and the agent said "well, I don't know why it was canceled, but because it was so far out they usually don't tell you right away."

Real Nice. Meanwhile the voucher is only good for a year, and I had mailed it in, and they are sitting on it while I think I have a flight booked. How do you "research" that one so there are "no surprises" when they didn't tell me my reservation had been canceled? I was just waiting by the mailbox for my tickets to arrive.

I called and the agent reinstated my flight - and made sure I would get another voucher for the remainder of the original $400 I didn't use.
When I have a voucher, I always take care of booking the flight at the airport and not via phone and have never had a problem. Some may not be able to do this, but the reason I knew to do this direct at the airport was after "researching" and discussing with an airline rep. who was knowedgeable of the procedure...but you yourself just gave out "valuable info" for others to use if they are dealing with vouchers, based on your personal experience ! But this example certainly does not fall under the category of "Whats the catch?" as this sticky is about.....more likely a "glitch" with the airline.

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"

Last edited by fun2cruiz; June 21st, 2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:17 PM
Admiral

I'd say the "government fees and taxes" seem never to be included in cruise prices. True, the cruise line does not control this and they may change, but they are pretty well known and in the internet age the changes could be disseminated quickly.

Just like baggage fees experienced travelers know these fees are coming your way, but they can still be a surprise.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016, 2018, Crown 2019
Sail Croatia 2018
Sail Windjammer: Mandalay 2017
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:45 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
fun2cruiz....

Really? In other words - you're in sales, right?
Well you could say I am in sales..... but I have always been an "informed" shopper before purchasing....despite being a TA and a QSR owner.

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
Well you could say I am in sales..... but I have always been an "informed" shopper before purchasing....despite being a TA and a QSR owner.
WOW! If you book a tour and it says what's included in the tour.....Does YOUR information say how long you'll be in a location? Yes, the poster saw what he was promised, just not how long at each place. So, he was an informed shopper, he just wasn't informed!
Old June 21st, 2011, 03:00 PM
Admiral

ladies will appreciate this one, formal night, salon appt to get hair done, you must specify exactly what you want done, ie wash, blowdry, styled with curling iron, did all this so that was fine, hairdresser proceeded to put into my hair- without asking me(there's the catch) this beautiful sparkly barette, see where this is going? didn't tell me until she was all done that the barette was an extra $20.00- what was i going to do, tell her to take it out and re-style my hair, that probably would have cost extra too.
Old May 18th, 2014, 12:40 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy

I am bummed they stopped the skeet shooting, no more $1 shoots!