Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old June 10th, 2012, 05:20 PM
johnthed0g's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,655
Default Winner of the most objectional person...

Sorry my friends across the pond....but this did happen on QM2.
In the buffet/self serve area a man was demanding "his" table & that a young couple be moved from it (remember this is the buffet) out of sympathy for the poor Eastern European waitress the couple moved, the guy who demanded the table was not happy & was ranting at the couple who were half his age with twice the class. I couldn't help comment on behalf of the young couple & the younger waitress & he started on me, better me than them anyway....but, & here is the big BUT..the problem was what came next...."I am an AMERICAN I can have what I want because you Brits would be under the Nazis if it wasn't for us!"...I did say if you are typical then the Nazis couldn't be that bad....he THEN said he was Jewish & I was now a racist!! At least those who didn't choose to argue were now not involved.
__________________
Some answer questions...I also question answers
JTD 2010
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old June 10th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Mike M's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: You're Looking At Me
Posts: 23,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Sorry my friends across the pond....but this did happen on QM2.
In the buffet/self serve area a man was demanding "his" table & that a young couple be moved from it (remember this is the buffet) out of sympathy for the poor Eastern European waitress the couple moved, the guy who demanded the table was not happy & was ranting at the couple who were half his age with twice the class. I couldn't help comment on behalf of the young couple & the younger waitress & he started on me, better me than them anyway....but, & here is the big BUT..the problem was what came next...."I am an AMERICAN I can have what I want because you Brits would be under the Nazis if it wasn't for us!"...I did say if you are typical then the Nazis couldn't be that bad....he THEN said he was Jewish & I was now a racist!! At least those who didn't choose to argue were now not involved.
Makes me proud to be an American.

Creeps come in all shapes, genders and nationalities. I have heard some ugly American's use the "We saved your butt from Nazis" rant and it really irritates me to no end. My mother was English and American's have no idea what the British went through to "hold the country" until America finally did the right thing. I don't think anyone reading this has ever spent the night in a bomb shelter and came out the next morning to see their home in rubble.

Then again: I have seen my own relatives (English) say some pretty stupid and xenophobic things about Americans and other nationalities.

Oh well: There's one in every crowd.

Take care,
Mike
__________________
Cruisemates Community Leader/Moderator

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old June 10th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Trip's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Boston
Posts: 19,867
Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default

I wonder how long that ignorant man held that in, ready to spout it, at what he thought was the apppropriate time?? Shame on him! How was everything else?
__________________


Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old June 10th, 2012, 06:28 PM
johnthed0g's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,655
Default

We finally just laughed at him...spontaneously & naturally, I thought he was going to explode!!
Trip.. the cruise was great, as you know all 3 Queens together as a tribute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1182.jpg (97.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1184.jpg (83.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1271.jpg (78.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1169.jpg (94.7 KB, 5 views)
__________________
Some answer questions...I also question answers
JTD 2010
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old June 10th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Trip's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Boston
Posts: 19,867
Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default

John, so glad you enjoyed this special historical get together of the Queens
__________________


Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old June 10th, 2012, 06:36 PM
snorklr45's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 380
Default

That guy is an idiot!! People like that is what makes people in other countries hate us. Unfortunately however, ugly people behaving in incorrigible ways come from all countries, all races..all sizes.

I have had the reverse happen to me. I guess for whatever reason the service people in Cancun have been treated poorly by Americans to the point that they have been downright rude to me at check in (major hotels in the Cancun Hotel Zone). I've bent over backwards to be nice on check-in..To no avail. I get snarls and I heard a check in clerk (speaking in Spanish) tell her coworker how stupid, ugly and drunk Americans are. I wasn't drinking, I'm not stupid and don't think I'm ugly. I guess she did not realize I knew enough Spanish to understand her cutting remarks. My room was almost always wrong when booked in the Hotel Zone (booked a King and always got two doubles). I finally stopped going to Cancun, period. I have been to Cancun probably ten times. I kept booking a different hotel hoping for a different outcome with service personnel. Final time was 2007. I cannot imagine that attitudes there have gotten better. The only hotel that I was treated decently (still got wrong bedding) was the Marriott Casa Magna.


What's funny is..Cozumel is an about face from the attitudes I found in Cancun. The service people in Cozumel are so nice and friendly. I love it there!! So now I just book direct flights into Cozumel and any of their hospitable hotels are great! They do not harbor any hostility toward Americans (not that I could detect!). They are the loveliest people. I would have a second home there if I could afford it.

Just my 2 cents
__________________

CarnivalTriumph
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old June 10th, 2012, 06:47 PM
johnthed0g's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,655
Default

I DID think of you guys on this site & the true decency shown by most...I felt embarrassed for you & YOU weren't there!!
Anyway... next one, next month ALL SEVEN P&O ships in Southampton!!
__________________
Some answer questions...I also question answers
JTD 2010
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old June 10th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Should have givin that low life a "Bronx Salute".
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,261
Send a message via MSN to belgique
Default

When one encounters such awful people, you just have to think to yourself, "What is wrong in his life to make him so miserable?" Not that you really care, but that you can be thankful for your life. And you can empathize and help the person who is being, quite frankly, bullied.
__________________
belgique
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:07 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Sorry my friends across the pond....but this did happen on QM2.
In the buffet/self serve area a man was demanding "his" table & that a young couple be moved from it (remember this is the buffet) out of sympathy for the poor Eastern European waitress the couple moved, the guy who demanded the table was not happy & was ranting at the couple who were half his age with twice the class. I couldn't help comment on behalf of the young couple & the younger waitress & he started on me, better me than them anyway....but, & here is the big BUT..the problem was what came next...."I am an AMERICAN I can have what I want because you Brits would be under the Nazis if it wasn't for us!"...I did say if you are typical then the Nazis couldn't be that bad....he THEN said he was Jewish & I was now a racist!! At least those who didn't choose to argue were now not involved.
If we were that young couple I would have accidently dump my try on him as we left his table.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bliss
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4acruise View Post
If we were that young couple I would have accidently dump my try on him as we left his table.
Now G, I got to say I'm a bit disappointed b/c i know your roots. you know i luvs you though! Personally it would've been like the other cruise where I had to chat with security for boxing with the guy <shrugs> that's just me though. I sure do hate when people give Americans or any group as a whole a bad name yet it happens way to much.
__________________


Sweet
loves to cruise!






Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2012, 05:00 PM
Surfguyxxx1's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Palm Bay FL and Princeton NJ
Posts: 675
Default

Once an a#%hole always an a#%hole!! Take the high road and move on; paybacks a *****....
__________________
Horizon-12/03
Empress -10/04
Diamond-02/05
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old April 11th, 2013, 04:39 PM
momofmeg's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Makes me proud to be an American.

Creeps come in all shapes, genders and nationalities. I have heard some ugly American's use the "We saved your butt from Nazis" rant and it really irritates me to no end. My mother was English and American's have no idea what the British went through to "hold the country" until America finally did the right thing. I don't think anyone reading this has ever spent the night in a bomb shelter and came out the next morning to see their home in rubble.

Then again: I have seen my own relatives (English) say some pretty stupid and xenophobic things about Americans and other nationalities.

Oh well: There's one in every crowd.

Take care,
Mike
When it comes to prejudice there are jerks from everywhere
__________________
Equal opportunity cruiser since 1998-4 Carnival, 4 RCI, 3 HAL, 3 Princess, 4 Celebrity, 3 NCL, 1 Disney


I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:52 PM
johnthed0g's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,655
Default

I had forgotten this one nearly a year ago now, I expect the poor man exploded...
__________________
Some answer questions...I also question answers
JTD 2010
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 10,900
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default

For that guy to be walking aorund with that in the front of his mind enough to actually come out and say it out loud is odd - and sad.

I am always one to give people like that the benefit of the doubt - maybe his whole family died in concentration camps, except he and his brother who fought the battle of the bulge and his brother died there -

Who knows?

The point is that you are supposed to get learn from the past, accept the changes and move on - otherwise you are dishonoring the people (like the Brits who kept Hitler occupied while the Russians crept up on Berlin) who truly made history.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old April 12th, 2013, 12:28 PM
momofmeg's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
For that guy to be walking aorund with that in the front of his mind enough to actually come out and say it out loud is odd - and sad.

I am always one to give people like that the benefit of the doubt - maybe his whole family died in concentration camps, except he and his brother who fought the battle of the bulge and his brother died there -

Who knows?

The point is that you are supposed to get learn from the past, accept the changes and move on - otherwise you are dishonoring the people (like the Brits who kept Hitler occupied while the Russians crept up on Berlin) who truly made history.
My friend's daughter married a man originally form North Vietnam. Her uncle can't stand him simply because the uncle is a Vietnam vet. This poor guy was not even born until after that war. He had nothing to do with it.

Similarly, being an "army brat" as a kid, I remember kids whose mothers were Japaneze and German. Us kids never had a problem with that-until one boy's father told him he should hate a little girl whose mother was German( her father American-so she was Amercian) because she was a "nazi." Sometimes people need to accept "the war is OVER" and the younger generation were not around then and had nothing to do with it.

Besides, I am an English, Irish, French, Scottish, Dutch, Cherokee and Choctow descent Amercian. My father was a "southern boy" whose great grandfather was a confederate,and a prisoner of war by the northern armies during that war. My mother's ( Mom was from the midwest US whose family came from NY and Illinois) great grandmother lost a brother and her first husband in the US Civil war and they were on the "northern side."

So, my point,it seems my ancestors until the last 100- 150 years were always killing each other. That is now all ancient history though-isn't it? In my mind World War II is now ancient history also to people of my daughter's generation.
As long as the same atrocites never happen again-I say put that war behind you. BTW-Nazis persecuted more than Jews. You find that out VERY clearly if you go to the holocaust Museum in DC. If Your child had Downs-too bad they were executed. If you were not a mainstream religion-too bad off to concentration camps you went and you may very well have died there.

My point-this shows how small minded that Jewish Amercian man was. In a way he echoed Hitler didn't he? Small minded about anyone that was different was Hitler's signature. His attitude fits right in with Hitler's.
__________________
Equal opportunity cruiser since 1998-4 Carnival, 4 RCI, 3 HAL, 3 Princess, 4 Celebrity, 3 NCL, 1 Disney


I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old May 6th, 2013, 03:04 PM
DavidB's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,128
Default

Being on a ship or anywhere actually with other people, is no reason or excuse for being an Ar*e to others that had nothing to do with a scenario now in your head for something you either experienced years ago in another life, or maybe one you did not experience but one handed down through family experience and/or actual history. Yes, these historical facts are true, and can be so bad,but we canít as decent people today react in that way in public to others for things that have happened in all our families pasts, every nationality in the world could do that today, react for what "others" have done to them in previous generations, there would be war in the streets if we all did this today. So why does this guy think he can do this, pick on folks and bully them for a cause or in his head a reason for his actions, and get away with it? The person in question or subject at the start of this post has no place in modern society; he picked the wrong fight or place to vent. No reason for that, no excuse for that, a misguided individual, who should actually be pitied if truth be told, if that is how they live their life

Last edited by DavidB; May 6th, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old May 6th, 2013, 04:09 PM
storybookcruises.com's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 1,542
Default

As the saying goes, "You can't fix stupid!"

Pete
__________________
Travel Agent/Cruise Specialist w/12 yrs exp and 47 Cruises on 11 cruise lines! Favorites: Paul Gauguin - Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises - Europe; Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America - 12-nights Baltics & Russia; RCCL - 14-nights Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America - 14-day Alaskan cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days Hawaii w/7-night NCL cruise; Oceania - 25 days in Asia; more than 3 months touring Europe by train. And many all-inclusive resorts!
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old June 2nd, 2013, 04:50 PM
Aerogirl's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A little south of insanity
Posts: 4,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise planner View Post
As the saying goes, "You can't fix stupid!"

Pete
So right you are!
__________________
You can shake the sand from you shoes but it will never leave your soul

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~


Need some cruise help?


Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old September 17th, 2013, 03:51 PM
momofmeg's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
Being on a ship or anywhere actually with other people, is no reason or excuse for being an Ar*e to others that had nothing to do with a scenario now in your head for something you either experienced years ago in another life, or maybe one you did not experience but one handed down through family experience and/or actual history. Yes, these historical facts are true, and can be so bad,but we canít as decent people today react in that way in public to others for things that have happened in all our families pasts, every nationality in the world could do that today, react for what "others" have done to them in previous generations, there would be war in the streets if we all did this today. So why does this guy think he can do this, pick on folks and bully them for a cause or in his head a reason for his actions, and get away with it? The person in question or subject at the start of this post has no place in modern society; he picked the wrong fight or place to vent. No reason for that, no excuse for that, a misguided individual, who should actually be pitied if truth be told, if that is how they live their life
some People, I am afraid, will always be fools and so of course we will meet such on cruise ships. I could not believe what people said about the new Miss America who is an born in the US American of Indian descent. She was called Alqaeda. Are most Indians even Muslims? I was thinking Hindi and Buddhist are the main religions from that country. Besides, we know most Muslims are not extremists, only a handful.
__________________
Equal opportunity cruiser since 1998-4 Carnival, 4 RCI, 3 HAL, 3 Princess, 4 Celebrity, 3 NCL, 1 Disney


I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old September 17th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 10,900
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default

Unfortunately people in this country are very uneducated about Asian Indians. Here in Phoenix we had a man assassinated right after 9/11 because he was wearing a turban - but he was an East Indian of the Sikh sect. (I guess in this country that might sound a little too similar to Sunni or Shi'ite - so people often get them confused). While the Brits have a pretty close relationship to East Indians, in this country we never really had that.

Americans are just awful at geography - and I don't know why, but I often think our educational system just doesn't care. I swear I don't know what they teach in public schools any more, I always got A's in world history and geography, but half the kids I know today couldn't find Canada on a map.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old September 17th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Dave Beers's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg View Post
Are most Indians even Muslims? I was thinking Hindi and Buddhist are the main religions from that country. Besides, we know most Muslims are not extremists, only a handful.
Actually Islam is the 2nd largest religion in India with almost 200 million followers. Buddhism is a distinct minority at less than 1% of the population. There are twice as many Christians in India than Buddhists.

Lots of ignorance and xenophobia out there in America. One reason we've taken our son on cruises every year since he was two years old (he is 19 now) is to expose him to other nationalities and cultures.
__________________
Dave
Forum Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old September 18th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Queen of Oakville's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Posts: 1,231
Default

Paul, I could not help but share this. Saw this on facebook yesterday. Your post made me think of this.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lj3iNxZ8Dww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=lj3iNxZ8Dww
__________________

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old September 18th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 10,900
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default

Yes - she was well-coached wasn't she?

"No matter what - just make sure you mention South Africa (?!?) and Iraq"

I think she even said "some people in America in our schools don't have mamps"

What's a mamp?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
americans, cancun, historically, hostility, mybb, objectional, people, pictures, powered, qm2, rhapsody, stupid, ugly, vbulletin, waitress

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll... Are u a Port person, or a ship Person? Kuki Chit - Chat for Cruisers 43 April 30th, 2013 10:47 AM
And The Winner Is !!!!!!! venice Chit - Chat for Cruisers 7 August 23rd, 2008 04:43 PM
And The Winner Is? Trip Chit - Chat for Cruisers 16 September 7th, 2006 12:17 PM
And the Winner is !!!! Trip Chit - Chat for Cruisers 17 July 8th, 2005 10:10 PM
We have a winner! Carole and Johnny Chit - Chat for Cruisers 7 September 15th, 2003 04:00 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:06 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1