Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:08 PM
First Mate

Default Pools On Board All Ships - Is It Me??

The first time I ever cruised, I noticed how small the on board pools were and the fact that there was NO WAY 2-4k passengers could be accommodated by them. They were always packed like sardines and never looked at all tempting as a result. Since then, I have found other ships have equally small pools and the same problem with overcrowding. Hence, I have never once even bothered to go to the pool area - not even to try to get a lounge chair to lay out. Who wants to fight the crowds and chair hogs? Am I the only one who LIKES pools but avoids them on cruise ships??

CarnivalTriumph
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorklr45 View Post
The first time I ever cruised, I noticed how small the on board pools were and the fact that there was NO WAY 2-4k passengers could be accommodated by them. They were always packed like sardines and never looked at all tempting as a result. Since then, I have found other ships have equally small pools and the same problem with overcrowding. Hence, I have never once even bothered to go to the pool area - not even to try to get a lounge chair to lay out. Who wants to fight the crowds and chair hogs? Am I the only one who LIKES pools but avoids them on cruise ships??
Actually I don't like pools on ships or at anyones house for that matter...instead of laying at the pool I would rather sit in the Library and read a good book or magazine that I brought with me or sit on the Veranda. I always booked a Veranda on all cruises...the Crystal cruise in december will be no different.
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Never been in a pool on a ship nor wished to sit near one, looks dreadful...then there is the chair hogs thing...
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Captain

I always get 2nd dinner and then use the pool during first seating when half the ship is eating. Gives me from 6-8:30, plenty of time for a dip or soak in the hotub and never crowded.
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
I always get 2nd dinner and then use the pool during first seating when half the ship is eating. Gives me from 6-8:30, plenty of time for a dip or soak in the hotub and never crowded.
Yup, that's the system....

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Admiral

I love the aft pools on Princess. I do tend to stay away from the main pool area but that aft, with that view....love it

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Only time we've ever use the pool is when in port...when MOST everyone is off the ship. Nice and quite.

On RCCL, Holland and Celebrity (the only lines we've been on...so far)they empty and refill the pool daily...so not really worried by the yukkies that would concern me in a hotel/motel pool or spa.
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Admiral

I think that RCCL pools are larger than Carnival's overall. The smaller RCCL class ships probably have the largest pool areas per pax. There are two large side by side pools on the Lido of the Monarch for example. In the photo there is another pool just as large behind the one you see.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I was pleasantly suprised at the pools on both Freedom class and the Oasis class, two pools side by side along with a special pool area for the little ones. Another added plus is they are all fresh water and not salt water...They were rarely too full of swimmers.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Admiral

My feet have not been in a pool since Dorney Park in 1986 .
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Call me crazy, but, I have never been around a pool that was overly crowded. I have discovered that aft pools are usually much more peaceful, with most ammenities back there as well. I first discoverd them on the Conquest.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 15th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Admiral

We usually enjoy the sun a couple of decks up from the pool. I love to swim but rarely get into a ship or hotel pool. Most have very little room.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Admiral

I like the aft pools/hot tubs during dining hours.
Old June 16th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I was pleasantly suprised at the pools on both Freedom class and the Oasis class, two pools side by side along with a special pool area for the little ones. Another added plus is they are all fresh water and not salt water...They were rarely too full of swimmers.
I agree with you100%. The pools on those ships are great, and I also did not find them crowded at all.

On my next cruise I will be going on the Oasis for the second time. I will be using those pools again.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old June 16th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Admiral

I may decide to try the pool on my next cruise

(Manuel ,June 21 is the transformation date for me)
Old June 18th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Princess ships have the Sanctuary pools. You do NOT have to pay the Sanctuary fee to use those pools - they are not huge, but do have a resistance machine which makes a good workout in a short time.

Aft pools on Princess are usually less crowded and a beautiful way to spend an afternoon.

I never met a pool I didn't like!
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't find the pools themselves being overcrowded, except ones that allow kids. It is the area around the pools that are crowded, especially the pool were the band is playing or there are activies. If I cannot find a lounge chair on the pool deck, I usually can on the deck above overlooking the pool.

One of the 1st things I do on a ship is look for a pool that restricts kids and will frequent that pool doing the cruise.

O F C'er
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Admiral

I agree OFC. I think all cruise ships should have one adult pool. One of my biggest disappointments with the new Carnival Magic is that it does NOT have one. As I like to point out, "the Disney Magic has more Adult pools than the Carnival Magic".

Yes I am on a campaign to get Carnival to make the aft pool an adult pool on the Magic, but alas it looks like it may be going the other way. Looks like they will be opening all the adult pools in the fleet to kids. Bad move IMHO.

Future Cruises:
Old June 21st, 2012, 11:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

I loved the adult pool on the Disney Wonder. It is up fron away from the soda machines and ice cream...when I'm not on my veranda I like to hang out there.
I never got in.. .just hung out.
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgique View Post
Princess ships have the Sanctuary pools. You do NOT have to pay the Sanctuary fee to use those pools - they are not huge, but do have a resistance machine which makes a good workout in a short time.

Aft pools on Princess are usually less crowded and a beautiful way to spend an afternoon.

I never met a pool I didn't like!
The only two Princess ships that actually have a dedicated "Sanctuary Pool" are island and coral and yes you do have to pay for those, they are situated in the Sanctuary. The other Sanctuary's are usually close to the pool by the Lotus Spa and are free.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 30th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Familiar Face

From my experience on different cruise lines, they don't really want you in the pool, no money to be made!
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllabon View Post
From my experience on different cruise lines, they don't really want you in the pool, no money to be made!
However on most cruise lines they want you near the pool so they can sell you those expensive funny looking drinks.
Old August 27th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Familiar Face

I have only been on one cruise and taking my 2nd this January on Epic. My TA the first one recommended we use the aft pool and not the midship because there is usually less people going aft and more kiddos and parents doing the midships. So, on my first cruise, we got our cabin just 50 feet down the corridor from the outside door leading onto the aft pools (Sapphire Princess) and of course perfect for the aft deck party! I was pleased with her recommendation and this Epic cruise, we are again Aft end cruising.
Old August 27th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Captain

I am an early riser and I liked to hit the empty hot tubs on the Dawn in the morning. There was hardly anyone around and the hot soak felt great!
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Captain

A few years back, we drained the pools nearly every day, cleaned them, and refilled them immediately.
Those were in the good old days when passengers followed the rules and instructions about showering before entering the pool.

Then we had our fuel price crisis, and had to come up with ways to reduce fuel consumption. It costs us about US$400 in fuel to produce enough fresh water to fill the average ship's swimming pool. As soon as that info was known to the bean counters, we had a new schedule for changing the water in the pools. Now we can wait for weeks to get the pool water changed. We keep dumping more and more bromine and chlorine into the pools for safety, only draining the water when you can no longer see the bottom.

At the same time, North Americans have stopped showering before swimming. All that deodorant, makeup, body lotions, perfumes, suntan lotion, fecal matter, urine, and god only knows what else, end up in that pool for many days.

I will not even get close to one of those bacteria soup basins.
Old March 25th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
A few years back, we drained the pools nearly every day, cleaned them, and refilled them immediately.
Those were in the good old days when passengers followed the rules and instructions about showering before entering the pool.

Then we had our fuel price crisis, and had to come up with ways to reduce fuel consumption. It costs us about US$400 in fuel to produce enough fresh water to fill the average ship's swimming pool. As soon as that info was known to the bean counters, we had a new schedule for changing the water in the pools. Now we can wait for weeks to get the pool water changed. We keep dumping more and more bromine and chlorine into the pools for safety, only draining the water when you can no longer see the bottom.

At the same time, North Americans have stopped showering before swimming. All that deodorant, makeup, body lotions, perfumes, suntan lotion, fecal matter, urine, and god only knows what else, end up in that pool for many days.

I will not even get close to one of those bacteria soup basins.
It's a pet peeve of mine and I agree 100%. I do shower before getting in he pool on the ship and I have to say I'm usually the ONLY ONE who does. Since I am aware of the problem I always note how many others do it and on a rare occasion I'll see one other. On average on a 7-day cruise I'll see two people shower b4 entering the pool.

As a pool owner it amazes me to watch a guest 'lather' up in all kinds of sun product and then immediately jump in the pool. What's the point?

Future Cruises:
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Admiral

To each his own but after 40 + cruises I have yet to get in a pool and if I did it would only because I accidentally fell into one.
Bruce, in my mind, is fairly accurate as to what the pools are so I tend to stay away. I can swim in a pool at home and not have to worry about it being
used by several thousands of people in the last couple of weeks , regardless of where they're from.
But as I said, to each his / her own thing.
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Admiral

I looked into the hot tubs on our last cruise and they were lotion soup. No thanks.

I grew up swimming in a spring fed pool (seriously - it has a little stream feeding it and a couple of springs at the bottom. So the idea of showering often evades me. I know cruisers are notorious for ignoring posted signs and comments in printed materials. But I don't think I have ever seen anything like "Shower before Swimming" posted around a ship pool.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old March 30th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Familiar Face

I hate the non showering dummies as well...but on the use we used the aft adults only areas in the evenings and found them pretty much empty allowing me and the DW to enjoy the hot tubs with just me and her most nights, except one where as my kids would say a "creeper" climbed right in, was maybe 18, seemed intoxicated and was carrying one of those fancy drinks, asked DW if she was with me...then asked if she was into multiple men...we got out and left...but that can and will happen anyplace with the abundance of alcohol...we went back the next night saw him bothering some other couple, we ate some pizza and waited until they got upset and had security called then we went into the other Hot tub....I will also say to the poster who said that the water was fresh water in the pools on the conquest mybe it is me or something but it seemed like salt water in the aft pool when I did try it out...

Old March 30th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
]But I don't think I have ever seen anything like "Shower before Swimming" posted around a ship pool.
They are there.

Future Cruises: