Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Thumbs down Tiny pillows

Who in the hospitality industry decided the guests like to sleep on little tiny pillows? If you go to there house do they have little tiny pillows on their bed?

I suppose this is some sort anti-theft tactic but it can literally be a pain in the neck!

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Admiral

People always laugh when they see the pictures we take of our stateroom. They inevitably notice the 8 - 10 pillows on the bed!

As you commented, the pillows are so small, we always have to ask for several more. We even went so far that when traveling in Europe, we took two memory foam pillows with us. We put them in those vacuum bags, then we sit on them to remove all the air so they end up almost flat and take up very little space. It sure makes sleeping a whole lot nicer, not to mention cleaner since we're sleeping on our own pillows.

We got small Malouf pillows for traveling and they're perfect! We loved them so much, we bought two king-size for our waterbed at home and they are the best pillows we've ever had - totally amazing. We also got two of their u-shape travel pillows, which are wonderful for those long airline flights. Never thought we would like a memory foam pillow, but I definitely recommend these.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:02 PM
First Mate

It all depends on where you stay and what you are willing to pay for hospitality.
I stay in hotels and on ships that have "pillow menus" with incredible choices. I wish I had pillows like that at home.

Now if you try to save a buck and stay at Motel 6 or cruise Carnival or NCL, you get what you pay for.
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Bruce, I have seen the pillow menus you describer and yes I was on Carnival. But I spent time pre and post cruise at supposed 4 star hotels with high thread count linens pulled over pillows were no better than Motel 6.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old November 22nd, 2012, 05:26 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Bruce, I have seen the pillow menus you describer and yes I was on Carnival. But I spent time pre and post cruise at supposed 4 star hotels with high thread count linens pulled over pillows were no better than Motel 6.
As I said previously, where you stay and what you are willing to pay makes the difference.
I wouldn't be too proud of taking a Carnival Cruise, and staying at a 4 Star Hotel rated by a fuel company doesn't really make it high quality.

Prying open that wallet and actually paying for quality makes the difference.
Old November 24th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Captain

We have always had standard size pillows in the hotels & cruise we go on