Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Viking River Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2016, 12:38 PM
Familiar Face

Default Rhine River general ?'s. First time Viking

Help! And thanks so much. We are doing Rhine from Basil to Amsterdam in early November.

1. AT the ports, how close are we to shopping? (small local shops) Are there any ports that have them within walking distance? Or would we need taxis? We are planning on taking Viking included excursions at each port but would like to do some local Christmas shopping in off time.

2. How much money should we have converted to local currency..we would like to do ahead through AAA.I am assuming you would need this for small local shops

3. Can all our tips that we give be added to our Viking account credit card, or do we need extra for that? Does Viking automatically add tips or do we designate amount?

Thank you so much
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:00 PM
Captain

Hi Fab143,
We did this same cruise, from Basel to Amsterdam, in April 2016. I will answer the questions for you to your satisfaction, I hope!

1. You can be very close (Basel, Cologne) or a little ways away (Koblenz, Durnstein) but still walkable as long as you can walk a ways - maybe 2-3 kilometers. The distance is sometimes quite far for the main shopping areas, but Viking usually has a free shuttle at those ports.

2. We converted our $$ at AAA, too. But you really don't need to as most shops in tourist areas accept credit cards and a lot will accept US $$. I believe we converted $300 - $400 and came home with over 153 Euros! If you plan to use credit card, call your card's customer service number and advise them of your travel plans. Otherwise, they may decline your card on purchases because of fraud safety plans.

3. I believe Viking automatically adds tips to your shipboard account (using your credit card to pay for these). The amounts are pre-designated unless you want to change the amounts. You will need to talk to the reception desk to change the amounts. All tips are gathered for Viking except the cruise director (one who updates you daily on the next day's happening in the lounge prior to dinner). This tip will be on your Viking account, if you want (must tell them so at the desk) or you can handle directly with the cruise director.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. We have done two Viking cruises already and have two more planned.