Navigator Reviews

  • Average User Rating

    Very Good/Excellent
  • My Rating

    You have not rated this yet

User Ratings

Overall Rating
from 7 reviews


Service Level

Value for Money

Ship Décor

Public Rooms


Kid's Programs

Daytime Activities


Shore Tours


Alternative Dining

7 User Reviews of Navigator Cruise Ship

Not the Luxury Cruise it was billed as!
Publication Date: June 22, 2015

Regents Seven Seas Cruise 2015

Our Cruise – 10 day, Leaving and returning to Miami, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Ship - SS Navigator, To The Western Caribbean, Suite Category D Concierge, Booked with Luxury Cruise & Vacation Specialist/Luxury Cruise Connections

To sum up this cruise:

Date of Cruise 3/7/15 to 3/18/15

Was it worth the money- NO

Would I recommend this cruise – NO

Food – 3 out of 5

Service 4 out of 5

Accommodations (Stateroom) 5 out of 5

Shore Excursions - 2 out of 5

Service before the cruise – 5 out of 5

Service after the cruise 1 out of 5

Booking agent before final Payment – excellent, after final payment Poor, after the cruise “No Return Calls”

This was to be our over the top 25 anniversary cruise for us and our best friends. We had been on several cruises before but wanted something really special. Over all I would give this cruise an average rating and not worth the high end cost. I have been on several cruises, but never an all-inclusive high end cruise. I would never take this cruise again. I’ll break it down so you can determine what is valuable

to you and if you are willing to pay for few extras you get.

With the Regent Cruises, they arrange your travel and purchase your airline tickets, hotel accommodation, connections from the airport, hotel and the ship. This stage went very well except for one leg, which I will explain later. When we arrived at the airport, there was a representative to meet us at baggage claim. He took our luggage to a staging area where we waited for a couple of other passengers. The airline had lost my wheel chair, so they sent the other passengers to the hotel and sent a special car for my wife and me.

The hotel was very nice, a high end hotel, the rooms were very nice and overlooked the Miami harbor. Breakfast was provided in a private meeting room. The room was very crowded and they finally had to set up additional tables. The breakfast was poor at best, powdered eggs and some kind of bacon with some little pastries and some fruit. Not the best start.

After breakfast we loaded onto buses for the trip to the boat. This was all handled in a very orderly manner. The luggage was loaded onto the buses and we didn’t see them again until we got to our stateroom.

However on the return trip from the ship to the airport, this was a nightmare. We left the ship and loaded onto buses in a very quick and orderly method. Much better than any cruise I have ever been on before. When we arrived at the airport, the bus pulled into the back of the airport, an area of the airport I have never seen and looked like a place we shouldn’t be. There were no agents or porters, in fact, there were no other people in sight. The bus drivers ask us to stay on the bus while he unloaded the luggage, I know why he wanted to get out of there before we knew what was happening. There were no airport personnel, porters or luggage carts available. There was an airport entrance about 100 yards away which took us into the baggage claim area. Check in was up stairs, so we were left with our luggage, no help and a long way to drag it.

The staterooms were very nice, very large with a walk-in closet, a large bathroom with both a shower and bath tub. The Cabin Steward great, she kept the room very neat and clean. Turning down the beds at night and making the beds each morning. She was un-noticeable unless you called on her. She was very responsive to every request. The king size bed was one of the best beds I have ever slept on. The refrigerator was stocked with beer, water and sodas and was restocked every day. Bottles of wine would be delivered via room service any time of day. Room service was quick and very good, even the morning breakfast would arrive within 10 to 15 minutes.

Food%u2026..The sales pitch was it was like eating in a 5 star restaurant every night. I don’t think so; the food was good but not a 5 star standard by any means. I would give it may-be a 3 to 3.5 stars. I had better food on Carnival Cruise lines. They also have a specialty Restaurant, Prime 7 Steak House, which was supposed to be over the top. You had to make reservation at no additional cost. We arrive and were seated by the kitchen in a small and very crowded dining room. There were 4 of us and we had Prime Rib, 2-Ribeye Steaks and surf and turf. I don’t think any of us ate it all and not because there was to much food. The steaks and prime rib were tough, the lobster was overcooked and it was just not enjoyable. You did have a 5 course meal every night and they spent a lot of time replacing silverware and dishes, like a 5 star restaurant. Dinner was not a quick affair; it usually took from 2 to 2.5 hours to eat each night. Service was not quick and if you asked for something different, you would have to ask several times. I must say that the wine flowed freely, there was always someone there to re-fill the glass or top them off. The wine as well as all the liquor was top shelf. Breakfast of sausage and eggs consisted of 2 eggs, two small sausages links and 2 small round (about quarter size) home fries. Lunches around the pool were standard fare, Hot dogs, Hamburgers and sandwiches which were very good. They also had a buffet each day with a different theme. Which was OK, they had a Mexican Theme one day that was bad, if they hadn’t told us, I don’t think I would have known it was Mexican.

Most of the excursions were included with just a few that had an extra charge, but there were plenty of free ones to choose from. But they did not live up to billing either. At our first port, we didn’t even stop because the sea was to rough and we couldn’t get into the dock. So they just slowed down and took their time to get to the next port. Most of the excursions are lousy, poorly planned and you no longer even get the rest stop with snacks/beverages. I would prefer to pay more for a quality excursion. Now we only go on our own independent tours and have so much more fun.

Spa: Way Way overpriced

All of the shows start at 9:30 so we didn’t make it to any of them. By the time we finished dinner most of the time the show had already started. They did have tea and game each day which was very entertaining and fun. They would play bingo and trivia games where you could win tickets for prizes from the gift shop. The tea was served with different type’s appetizers and small desserts which were very good.

My next cruise will NOT be with Regents Seven Seas and I will not book with Luxury Cruise & Vacation

Lyle & Susan Hagedorn - Floyd VA

Mike &Dianne Butler – Austin TX

Expand Review
Read More
Eastern Caribbean
Publication Date: March 14, 2008

We arrived at Fort Lauderdale airport, collected our bags, and took a cab to the port. The security guard at the entrance was snippy when I told her the name of our ship was "the Regent Navigator." "Next time you should know the name of your ship," she said, which suggests it was on her list as the Regent Seven Seas Navigator. Ah, well.

We were ushered onboard immediately and sent up for lunch -- a welcome "bonus" meal that makes embarkation on Regent a pleasant experience. Our cabin was well laid out -- bathroom with both shower and tub, walk-in closet with safe, a dresser with a 120 volt plug, queen size bed, sitting area with DVD player, flat screen TV, and a bottle of chilled "house" bubbly on the table, desk with a stocked refrigerator (beer, bottled water, soft drinks), and a veranda.

Navigator is beginning to show her age. Some of the fabrics are frayed, and the decor is dated. There is a lot of movement at times, perhaps because the Navigator's hull was planned for a Russian icebreaker. The size and overall atmosphere are fine, however, and the crew

seem to enjoy making the passengers happy.

The food in the Compass Rose was excellent, and the buffet on deck 10 provided fine breakfasts and lunches. For the first week the reservations-required Portofino had a wine tasting followed by a sit down dinner. The second week it morphed into an "Italian steakhouse" with an appetizer and desert buffet. The wine tasting was accompanied by appetizers and was worth skipping dinner at the Compass Rose. The Italian steakhouse was nothing special.

We were cruising over the Easter holiday, and several of the ports were virtually shut down, so we took a few tours. The drive-in volcano on St. Lucia is worth a look, and this was combined with a plantation visit that includes a "cocoa dance" (not what I expected at all).

Some experienced cruisers complained that the officers weren't as involved as they expected, but overall Regent has a fine product. At the end of two weeks we were relaxed, wined and dined to our heart's content, and even had seen the "green flash" one sunset. Disembarking was efficient, but don't pay $29 per person for a transfer to the Ft. Lauderdale airport. The cab fare is only $15. We'll be back to try the Voyager later this year.

Expand Review
Read More
Regent Seven Seas Navigator
Publication Date: October 7, 2006

My husband and I were travelers on the Navigator. I'll apologize up front because this will be really long, and I have tons of facts and stories . Yikes. We average about one cruise every 3 years and had this trip in the planning phase for more than 2 years. I'd been dreaming of Greece since High School and decided in early 2004 that this was going to happen in 2006.

I gathered the brochures from my travel agent and searched out any cruise line that had significant itineraries in Greece. I didn't really want Italy, didn't really want Turkey, just wanted port after port in Greece. Well, most of the lines have a combination of the two extra countries and in 2004 the itinerary that I wanted was on either Crystal or Radisson Seven Seas (rebranded to Regent SS in early 2006). At that time, the itineraries that interested me began in Venice (a concession) and hit Corfu, then all the regular Greek islands. With my travel agent's assistance we narrowed down our line to RSSC. Regent doesn't get their cruise catalogs out as early as other cruise lines, so I

didn't see the itineraries for 2006 until July 2005, and they'd changed. I decided to accept the removal of Corfu for Dubrovnik and one day in Kusadasi, and made my deposit. I'm a little obsessive with my planning and research and had folders for each port all ready when our dates finally rolled around. We arrived in Venice 2 days early. We wanted to enjoy the city, not take any chances on flight delays and battle jet lag before boarding the ship. We made our own flight and hotel arrangements and had a terrific time exploring Venice, walking enormous amounts and sampling the yummy restaurants. Be warned, restrooms in Venice are non-existent and if you are lucky enough to find one, it'll cost you about Euro 1 to use. We watched a guy get chewed out by the bathroom attendant when he used the sinks to wash his hands but didn't pay.

Our ship, the Navigator, arrived on Saturday morning and we were able to board around 1pm. It's a smaller ship, only a 490 passenger capacity, and like the rest of Regent, mostly balconies. We booked the cheapest category, down on deck 5 and forward, no balcony, but it still was complete luxury! In coming directly from our hotel to board, we ran into problems dropping off our large luggage. We booked our hotel near Piazzale Roma in Venice, which is close to the ship terminal. I'd read something on a message board about being able to take a shortcut to the pier from our hotel which would make transportation to the ship unnecessary. This route includes a wonderful pedestrian sidewalk and a bridge over a canal, but alas, the bridge over the railway lines was blocked off with huge sheets of plywood. I gather that this blockage is permanent and has something to do with port security. So, we'd done a test run the day before boarding the ship, and knew that we'd be dragging the luggage on the alternate route: up a sidewalk to the highway from the mainland, then back down through the port entryway, which isn't really made for foot traffic.

We got an early start hauling our bags on the route, stopping frequently to let others by, or resting (too many resort casual clothes and shoes?) But when we got down to the passenger drop offs, it was still only 12:10, and the Regent literature says 1pm to board, we crossed our fingers and proceeded. One of the big signs next to the parking lot electronically lists all the ships in port and which pier was their entry. RSSC was sharing a pier with the MSC line (mostly Italian passengers). The signs on the sidewalk point the MSC cruisers one direction and the Regent cruisers another. There was no indication that we were to drop off our bags anywhere, so we entered and while the foot traffic went up an escalator, we took the elevator with our luggage. When we entered the RSSC-marked entrance an employee hustled up to us to say that we couldn't bring our large luggage through this way! I asked where they went and she told me that it was to be dropped off outside at the big white tent. So we went back down the elevator and across the street and parking lot to a small white tent. But that wasn't it either, wrong cruise line. They sent us back even further toward the entrance to a larger, dingy white tent. There were signs for Princess and MSC for the luggage drop, but no indication that this was the right place for Regent. I left a sweaty husband standing there, while I walked to the guard station to ask where the luggage for Regent went - they didn't understand me and were of no assistance. I went back to my husband completely exasperated - where did our luggage get dropped off?! I was weighing my options of going back into the pier building and re-asking the employee when someone in Regent uniform walked into the crowds and opened one of the garage doors and hung a Regent sign.

Hallelujah!! There we go! Evidently our only mistake was to arrive too early, before Regent was ready to receive us. We dumped our luggage probably before they were ready, and went back to our pier building. We went through the metal detectors on the 2nd floor and then were directed down a back stairwell to the pier-side sidewalk. Part of the Marittima cruise terminal is under construction, so some of the ship parking is moved further out. 2 nice Regent employees directed us to load into a shuttle bus, with another 8 passengers, and we drove a whopping 200 yards down the pier, past the MSC ship to the Navigator on the end. We were greeted by the ship's staff, and walked up the gangway. With a flute of champagne, we went through the check-in process in the Compass Rose dining room and then a porter took us up to the pool deck. There was a full buffet in Portofino and another entirely different buffet at the pool grill. After getting served from the bar staff and getting a little something to eat, we heaved a sigh of relief and knew that all the details are now taken care of! At about 2:30, the cruise director came over the public address system to say that all suites were now ready. Our suite was phenomenal!! The closet, the bathroom, ahh, fit for royalty. We met our housekeeper Hershey, a tall and exceptionally beautiful Pilipino girl, she had a bottle of champagne on ice for us, gave us the tour and took the slip of paper that indicated what bottles of alcohol that we wanted for our stateroom.

The ship had one more day in port, we were scheduled to embark at 1pm on Sunday for Croatia. So for the remainder of Saturday, and Sunday beginning at 7am, Regent provided complimentary shuttles to complimentary vaporetto into Venice's St. Mark's Square. The Navigator cast off and left our pier at 1pm, and cruised down the Guidecca Canal along the Zattere and in front of St. Mark's. There is truly no better way to see Venice than from this vantage point! We had a terrific commentary from the ship's lecturer about what we were seeing as we glided down the canal. One of the enormous Princess ships was just behind us, so it was like a ship parade.

The Compass Rose meals were absolutely tremendous! We chose to sit with a large group the first night and met some terrific couples and one of the performers, then the second night we met even more new people. There were 2 large groups on this itinerary - an enormous group from Yamaha and then one from some sort of medical supply company. So, these people mostly sat within their own groups and we were able to meet a cross section of the non-affiliated people during meals. Portofino, the reservation only restaurant was also amazing, but oh my goodness, the sheer amount of food was astonishing!

I don't know if the Mediterranean is normally a rough crossing, but that second night on our way to Croatia the ship was bouncing, it didn't bother me, but my poor husband was caught a little green. Maybe because the Navigator is a smaller ship it has a little more motion? We had several evenings and nights which were rough. On of the perks of being a cruiser on this line is that Regent brings a local tour guide on board to answer questions at each port. This person will sit at a desk in the reception foyer area and they usually have maps of the port cities and areas and can answer local questions.

In the morning we reached Dubrovnik, Croatia. This is a wonderful port, we were there with the Rotterdam and it's a port that requires tendering. The Croatian people are absolutely gorgeous and they speak flawless English, the money is Croatian Kunars which you can change on the ship. The old wall around the city is a great way to spend some time, it cost Euro 6 per person and the entrance (the Pile Gate) was a little hard to find. From the tender dock, walk through the big wall and around left up a narrow alley. We'd worn our swimsuits under our regular clothes in the hopes that we could find a beach to play on. One of the bartenders from the ship suggested the public beach on the back side of the Old Town, we could see it from the wall. And we could also see on the ocean-side falling dramatically from the wall to the Adriatic, several little café-bars with chairs and tables on the terracing. We came down from the wall after a complete loop, and walked through town, unlike Venice, the streets are straight and it's easy to walk all the way through. We went out the "back gate" which is actually a drawbridge over what used to be a moat. They've added park area in the moat and you can walk down it to the back harbor, and the beach. The beach is beautiful but very rocky, so we did some wading in our water sandals. The rocks are dark colored and then there's bunches of pretty little white shells, and as I looked, the little shells moved. Because they are hermit crabs, Yay, and very cute they are! We sat on the rocks and then sat along the wall, got a little sun. We walked up through the new town, and found another beach further along the coast to the north. Then we walked back through Old Town and tried to find the gate through the wall to one of the terraces, and Voila! We walked directly to the door to one of the bars. We were served cold drinks from the bar, we sat in the sun and when we got too hot, our bartender, Barbara, suggested that we jump off of the rocks into the ocean and enjoy a refreshing swim. It's such a treat, they've poured concrete steps down to the edge, and then the rocks drop off into deep water. The water is chilly, but still perfect. One of the nice European ladies that is a regular let me borrow her swim goggles to look at the fish. I love these little accidents that happen when you explore on your own. We stayed for maybe 90 minutes then made our way back to the tender.

The next day was Katakolon, it's the port city on the Greek Peloponnesus, the entry to the ruins of Olympia. I kinda felt bad for this village. I'm sure that for generations they were a quiet town who relied on fishing, and then when the pier was built and the cruise ships added them to the itinerary, that they expanded fast. There's one main street, and the shop owners were really nice, spoke fairly good English. We were one of the first cruisers into town, and a shopowner greeted us kindly and asked how many passengers on our ship, and when we were embarking. When she got the information she shouted it down the street to all the other interested shopowners. I found the tourist items to be a little cheaper here than on the other islands and in Athens. They had the usual kitsch, and some really nice leather items. We walked past town and down the length of the harbor along the water, it wasn't very nice beach, kinda dirty and there were dead jelly fish here and there. It was a good walk, but we didn't do anything exciting. I suppose that we could have walked the opposite direction to the lighthouse on the headland, and there might have been a nicer beach that direction, but we didn't. Evidently there is an Air Force base somewhere close, because we were buzzed by fighter craft over and over. Our shipmates said that Olympia was nice.

Next day was Santorini, the quintessential Greek Island! We arrived at sunrise and I was out on the upper deck taking photos and getting seriously windblown. Unfortunately, we were anchored in the harbor along with 4 other ships, and I'm not sure if it's cheaper, if it's mandated or what, but all the ships are using a Santorini company for tendering. When we reached the pier with hundreds of other ship people, the line for the cable cars was the length of the pier. And the walkway up to the donkey path was equally as packed. We pushed our way through the donkey line, because we wanted to walk. Now, if I'd put any thought into it at all, I would have known that where there's donkeys, there's manure. However, when you start climbing stairs in donkey poo, it's a festive experience.

It was a brutal climb, the donkeys with passengers passing on the way up, and then because it was still early in the day, the donkey herders wanted to take advantage of the crowd at the bottom and didn't yet have riders to come down. So they'd run the herds of donkeys back down the path, which is alarming as a walker to look up and see 10 donkeys running down the stairs at you. However, the donkeys never even grazed me and my husband. I am very proud to say that we made it all the way up the steps, it was hard, I was sweating torrents, but I earned an extra dessert at dinner!

One of the perks of being a cruiser on this line is that Regent brings a local tour guide on board to answer questions at each port. This person will sit at a desk in the reception foyer area and they usually have maps of the port cities and areas and can answer local questions. So before leaving the ship, we asked the guide about local buses. We didn't want to have to pay for a taxi, and then arrange for them either to wait while we finished our tasks or to come back at a certain time. The bus stop is down from the cable car building at the top, it's actually back south a bit. The best way to find it is to walk south along "Gold Street" until you get to the hotel Atlantis, then you make your way down the non-cliff side of the incline. There's a food stand and in the back corner is the bus kiosk, although you buy and pay for your bus ride while on the bus, the kiosk has the schedules. We didn't find this bus station that first time, however, we found 2 bus stops, one across the street from the other, and since we wanted to ride to Oia on the north end of the island and then go to one of the beaches on the south end, we figured that whatever bus arrived first would be our way of knowing which way to go first. And the first bus went to Oia, it was very full, cost Euro 1.10 per person, we braced ourselves in the back doorwell, and rode standing up the whole way. I don't know if the route is always the same but from Fira to Oia, the bus goes on the high road (west), skirting the cliff caused by the volcano, it's winding with steep dropoffs, and then coming back to Fira from Oia, the bus goes along the coast on the east side.

We were dropped off in Oia, and this is definitely the place to be! Narrow alleys, many shops, great people, and amazing views! We did some wandering, shopping and ended out on the point overlooking the Oia harbor. There was a similar path from the harbor up to the edge of the village on the cliff as in Fira, but I didn't think that I was up to another climb, so we didn't make our way down. We spent maybe a couple hours in Oia, then went back to the bus area and waited for the next one back to Fira. Unlike Venice, at least there are available public restrooms on Santorini, and they're free, but they're filthy and the women's rooms don't have toilet seats. So, girls - be prepared to hover. We heard later that some of the people on the shore excursions were charged Euro 0.50 for a several squares of toilet paper and the toilet.

We caught the bus back to Fira, it looks like anyone on the coast road can just stand on the side of the road and flag down the bus at any time. There's quite a few little beaches, and if you don't need a snack bar or anything fancy, this might be a option. The bus returns to the bus station that I wish we'd found first. The station is completely surrounded by schools. You can hear the kids playing on the playgrounds and at lunch many were walking down the streets or hanging out on the corners. So we waited for the bus to Kamari beach to open it's doors for the 2pm, and got a seat in the back, away from the other tourists. What we didn't know is that the city buses get used for the school buses. So at 1:55 all of the sudden the station was overrun by the middle school and high school students who proceeded to board all 6 different buses. We were surrounded by teens, and like you would expect, they were ignoring us. It was exactly like teens in the US, felt like home with my 15 year old. So we rode to the next little town, let off some teens and picked up a few elementary students, and eventually made it to Kamari. We got off the bus and with a handful of other tourists, we walked down a main street that parallels the beach until we reached the retail district and a direct route to the beach.

Kamari is a black sand beach, pretty rocky, and the surf is a little rough. There a gobs of lounge chairs and umbrellas and little changing huts. The day was overcast, so I only went out to my shorts, but Randy went swimming and enjoyed it. The headland to the south is enormous and juts out into the ocean. I guess that if we'd taken a different bus, that the beach of Perissa is just on the other side of the "mountain". Perissa is supposed to have red sand beaches. We didn't stay very long, about an hour, and then headed back to our bus stop, where we loaded up and went back to Fira. It felt like a full day but it was still early in the afternoon. We did a little window shopping, there's some truly gifted artists that set up along Gold Street in the afternoon, and I kick myself for not picking up a couple of watercolors. We chose the cable car for the jaunt down to the pier, there was no line, it cost Euro 3.50 per person and was quick and easy. Back on the ship I wasn't able to get my sunset picture from Santorini as we were sailing away, the fog was rolling in from the ocean and the sun disappeared well above the horizon.

We never ate breakfast in the dining room or anywhere really but the buffet. The servers learn what you like pretty quickly and had my hot tea without asking most mornings. They'll make any egg dish or omelet that you'd like and this request comes after being seated. You can have the coffee in the pots or request something special like a latte or cappuccino. I'd heard on the message boards that if you gave the kitchen one days notice that they'd pack a lunch for you to take with you on any of your excursions. We intended to try it, but either forgot to give notice or felt uneasy requesting such a special service. Twice we made bagel sandwiches out of the breakfast buffet and carried them to the beach and that worked really well with a couple of bottles of water and sodas from our suite. We missed quite a few lunches while in port, so several times we'd come back about in time for the afternoon tea - it was really terrific and decadent. Then if you weren't stuffed enough from all that food, cocktail snacks are always available either by the pool or in one of the lounges at 6pm before dinner.

Be warned, that if you want to do any laundry, starting about 3 days into the cruise, the machines start to have lines of people waiting for them. And if a passenger cannot find an empty machine on their own deck, they slum down to the other decks. I set the alarm on Thursday morning at 6, and was easily able to get one load in, and with the high powered machines, it only took 45 minutes to both wash and dry my clothes. They are free and the detergent is also free because it's pumped into the machines automatically during a cycle.

Coming into Mykonos, early in the morning, we had a spectacular thunderstorm! So much lightning! It must have sounded amazing from outside, but I only viewed it from the cabin. When daylight came, I thought that we were going to be disappointed with our planned beach day. It was kinda gray, but the weather report on the BBC said that the front was supposed to clear over the Aegean. Hoping for the best, we dressed for a beach day and packed our beach bag. Again, we stopped by the port desk in the reception area and spoke to the local man there. He wasn't particularly helpful as his family owned a series of jewelry stores, and he'd rather that we shopped than take a bus to the beach. But he grudgingly gave us directions to the town bus station, and then suggested that we shop at his stores. The station is almost all the way up the hill, and I cannot be more specific because we kinda lucked onto it. For Mykonos buses you have to purchase your ticket from the mini marts or a tobacco shop in order to ride, and you'd better purchase 2 per person, because you'll need the second for the return trip. Priced the same as Santorini, Euro 1.10 per trip/per person= Euro 4.40 altogether for both of us. We looked at the bus schedule and since it's October, it's end of season, and the weather isn't scorching, so they run the buses less frequently and not to the further beaches. We could wait 15 minutes and catch the bus to Platas Gialos, the closest beach to town, or wait 45 minutes for the bus to Paradise Beach. We didn't want to wait, so we caught the first one. Boy, bus drivers on both islands are very territorial! They don't get over for NO ONE, and they swear and gesture to any other vehicle on the road that doesn't yield to the bus. We were left off with the other passengers at the end of the road and bus route at Platas Gialos. We liked the look of it, but a group from the ship was there before us. We'd seen them zooming around on 4-wheelers back at the bus stop. They didn't know where they were and didn't have maps, we answered their questions from our map and they were back on their way.

The beach is beautiful, quite a few people, the sand and water are terrific and there's a platform out in the water, so you can go out and claim it and hang out in the middle of the bay. Further down the beach, past a large area of rocks and out on the tip of the headland was another beach, with no people and several boats anchored. I was happy with our destination, and then Randy decided he really wanted to go to Paradise Beach. After grumbling under my breath that if he'd spoken up we could have just taken that bus, we looked at the map and decided that Paradise should just be on the other side of the headland. So we splashed down the length of the beach in our water sandals, and walked up a road at the end past all of the snackbars and bars. We ended up in a residential section with dead end roads and long driveways, basically in people's back yards, which isn't good. We couldn't find our way through, so had to back track down some driveways and came out to the main road and walked to Paraga Beach, the next beach on the coast. Initially Paraga looked deserted and possibly closed for the season. We had to wind our way through closed gates and sidewalks and ended up on the beach with a tiny scattering of people. We thought that we'd be at Paradise, but this was just on the other side of the headland beach that we saw from Platas Gialos. The walk down the beach and over the headland was a little more difficult this time, climbing up boulders until we found a path along a chain link fence. We walked way out on the point to get to the corner of the property owners fence, then came back down the other side with Paradise Beach in sight. Hallelujah!

We paid for 2 lounge chairs and an umbrella and made ourselves at home. There's a reef, possibly man-made, out from the shoreline about 75 yards, and it makes the water against the beach really calm, and then it's really fun to swim out and then stand on the shelf way out in the water. My husband was enjoying himself out there and had a conversation with a nice man from France who was reaching into the nooks and crannies of this shelf and pulling out sea anemones, the giant black long-spiked ones. This man was going to take them back to his hotel and have them prepared to eat. After seeing that, when we walked on the reef, we wore our water sandals.

The weather was nice, we had high clouds that sometimes blocked the sun, but it was still pleasantly hot, about 80` F. Going back to town at the end of the afternoon, we just walked out to the road and look for the bus stop sign, it's in front of the little convenience store. The bus was on time and swept us back to the bus station, and then we walked through town. Most of the shops had closed for the day, but we managed to find Petra, the mascot Pelican. He was sleeping and I didn't want to poke at him as he has a reputation for biting, but still I got a great picture. The wind had kicked up quite a bit, so we were glad to catch the Regent shuttle from town back to the pier (a distance of maybe 1 mile?).

Last port before disembarkment - Kusadasi, Turkey. We'd initially wanted to do an elaborate Ephesus tour here, but my husband wanted to save our ruin-viewing until Athens instead. So, we were slow to leave the ship, checked with the port lady and got directions to the nearest beach - Ladies Beach just south of the main town and pier. We exited the ship and went through our first port building, similar to each stop in the Caribbean, with the duty free shopping and the security guards. There's a starbucks in the ship-only shopping and the vendors are exceptionally courteous. We walked out of the cordoned off area and walked across the street to the bazaar. Wow, this is a different experience in shopping! Always greeted with shouts of, "My friend! My friend! You come to my shop!" And it's a little amusing, we know that the shop owners have been asked by their own city to calm down the browbeating because the tourists don't like it, so we heard again and again, "No, high pressure, you come my shop!" My husband could handle only one street, so he camped out at the end of the block while I did some more serious looking. We didn't buy much, mostly stuff from the little grocery store. The pistachios are amazing!! Then we found a cab to take us to the beach, $6. Most of Kusadasi will take American money as well as euros, although their money is the Turkish lira.

The beach is down the road, around the hill with the large statue, and then through a residential area, our cab driver tried to talk us into going to a much better beach further down the coast, but we were firm. He dropped us off right at the beach, it's long with a huge section of hotels and restaurants and bars along the back. We walked down and back to determine the best position, and since it was fairly early in the day, we chose the furthest north end because the sun was behind many of the hotels so the beach was in the shade further down. We paid for our lounge chairs, declined an umbrella and went swimming. The breakers are constant, but the water is only knee high for about 100 yards out. You can rent snorkeling equipment as well as kayaks and other equipment, from several shacks. It was a beautiful day, the hottest that we'd seen, we got some good sunshine, spent a little time in the shops and ate our sandwiches from the ship's breakfast buffet. It was a good day. We decided to walk back, it wasn't that far and the biggest hurdle had been to find the beach in the first place, but the cab driver had done that for us. It was good to walk some more, the sidewalk along the water at times was crumbly and incomplete, but worked just fine. We passed a nice resort that had it's own little peninsula, and then we could see in the distance another island, just off of the mainland that had a pier built to it. It had what looked to be an ancient fort on it. We walked down the pier which was home to many fishing vessels and probably tourist boats, and entered the fort. It was free and really nice, the dwelling is really old and the pathways and gardens are beautiful. We had to pay Euro 0.30 to use the restrooms, but they were incredibly clean and worth it. We sat down and enjoyed the scenery for a moment before continuing to the port. After finishing the shopping, we walked through the security zone and reboarded the ship. The people who visited Ephesus and especially the terraced houses absolutely loved the expedition.

Embarkation in Athens - It's always hard to leave a magnificent ship, but we needed to be out of our rooms by 8am, so had breakfast, grabbed our carry-offs and found a table in the seven seas lounge. Since we had several more days in Athens and our own hotel, we were one of the last groups to be called, and that's fine. The luggage was lined up inside the port building by color and easy to find. We just rolled it out and asked a taxi to take us to our hotel near Monastiraki Square.

Some observations, it's odd that the hot tubs are drained each evening, and unusable at bedtime. They are re-filled in the mornings and aren't yet hot in the afternoons. It seems counterintuitive that you begin the warming process each morning just to empty them. The pool gets closed off at the same time in the evenings as the hot tubs. The much discussed vibration on the Navigator is noticeable. We purposely chose a suite at the front of the ship (yeah, I know, not "ship speak") and never felt anything. But in the seven seas showroom, it was horribly noticeable when we were at sea, and very noisy during the movies or shows. I know that there are a lot of Navigator-haters out there on the message boards, but it's a beautiful, intimate ship and if you do your homework, you won't be caught in a poor cabin. I hate to take a life changing vacation and come out of it with only complaints.

We had terrific service on the Navigator, the reception desk was always manned, the employees were welcoming and helpful. I love having the plush robes in the rooms, it made for the best nap in the afternoon, to put on a heavy robe, not disturbing the beautifully made bed, and toss on the wool throw also provided and doze off. I know that the Navigator is going in this December for refurbishing, but our beds and bedding were sumptuous. The bathroom was a dream, we used the shower stall most of the time, but I had a fully immersed bath one day. We loved the thoughtful additions like complimentary shuttles into town, complimentary vaporettos into downtown Venice. As already expressed, the local tour desk in each port onboard was terrific. I loved choosing whether to dine alone or with others each evening in the Compass Rose. We used room service several times and it was fabulous. I sat in an afternoon lecture on how to navigate a ship and that was completely engaging. We would definitely chose Regent again, and Navigator if we have the opportunity.

Expand Review
Read More
Eastern Caribbean
Publication Date: May 20, 2004

Ship is well maintained. Food is excellant especially in the Portifino Cafe. Service is outstanding. Cabins are small compared to other cruiselines superior accomodations. Nothing to do in the evenings. Have sailed on Freighters that are more stable in moderate seas than this vessel.

Several days dishes in dining rooms crashed, elevators closed and pool closed due to moderate sea conditions. Ships has very noticible propeller cavitation over stern. Ship has interesting history prior to Radisson's purchase. Give it a try if you have your sea legs.

Read More
South America
Publication Date: April 21, 2002

World Cruise 2002 - Rio de Janerio to Ft. Lauderdale In the aftermath of 9/11 much has changed, including many cruise ship itineraries. Radisson, which had planned the Inaugural World Cruise of it's 490 passenger Seven Seas Navigator to go through the Suez and Mediterranean, altered its itinerary to go around the Cape of Good Hope instead. As a result, in its later segments after Cape Town, the ship was less than sold out, to put it mildly. In March, they offered past Radisson guests price concessions, a complementary pre- cruise tour, low-cost business class air upgrades, and perhaps most intriguing to us, an invitation to join the shake-down cruise of Radisson's new Seven Seas Voyager, scheduled to be completed in Genoa next March, 2003. My wife Pat and I were definitely interested!

Since we had earlier booked the inaugural transatlantic cruise of Holland American's Prisendam (the former Royal Viking Sun) plus the following two segments in Western Europe and the Baltic (a total of 37 days), we didn't feel we could take the full trip from Cape Town, including a pre-cruise safari in South Africa. Instead, we opted for the shorter 14

day Rio to Ft. Lauderdale segment, preceded by the tour to Iguaçu Falls. According to Brazilian sources, Iguaçu is the world's largest waterfalls. Although tricky to get to and see, the Falls are truly magnificent! Iguaçu is much larger than Niagara, and is said to be taller than Angel Falls in Venezuela. The falls are inland on the Argentina/Brazil border. After a bit of a run-around concerning our flight arrangements (resolved by a cooperative Radisson air rep and our very competent agent, Vicki) we arrived at the Tampa airport early, only to discover the Delta flight scheduled to take us to Atlanta to connect with their flight to Rio was late. Initially the Delta agent (supervisor?) was adamant there was no problem, until the earlier flight to Atlanta, leaving from the gate next to us, had closed up. Then she listened, looked at our tickets, and realized the problem.

Eventually, after a big hassle, we were re-routed on an American Airlines flight from Miami, but had to reclaim our bags in Tampa, go through security again, and have bags hand-searched, luckily by a nice, helpful American Airlines porter/security guard(?). And, with no two seats together; we were assigned seats on either side of someone sitting in the middle seat of a 2-3-2 business class row on a Boeing 777. This turned out to be a ploy to get the whole row to himself; when faced with reality, he moved to an aisle seat, so my wife and I were able to sit together, even if not in the most desirable place.

Generally, we avoid domestic airlines for international flights when possible, but I must admit that the American Airlines "extra room" tactic certainly gave us room to stretch out. And their service was pretty good, too. Radisson had flown us in business class on a Continental 777 from Newark to Rome in the fall of 2000, and we found it to be very good as well, although the AA flight had more leg room I think. In our opinion, the Boeing 777 is superior to anything else flying commercially today.

We had spoken with Radisson reps during the rearrangement of flights, and sure enough, their agent in Rio was expecting us. Things went quite smoothly, and although the security for our bags in notorious Rio seemed casual, everything arrived promptly and safely. Radisson had booked us in the LeMeridien Hotel, directly across Avenue Atlântica from Copacobana Beach. Our room for that night was available, without additional charge, upon check-in about 10 AM. We were in a ocean-front room on the 36th floor, so high the people on the beach looked like ants. So much for girl- (or boy-) watching. After a quiet, security-conscious day and night in Rio (we had an bad experience there earlier), we flew next morning via San Paulo to the city of Foz do Iguaçu, where we were taken by bus to the Iguaçu Falls National Park. The flights, on Varig, the Brazilian airline, were delightful. Attractive, sharp, well-dressed and -groomed flight attendants. Fast, cheerful service. Quick turn- arounds in San Paulo. The stewardesses served drinks and a snack on the forty-five minute flight to San Paulo, and lunch and drinks on the one hour flight from there to Foz do Iguaçu! Ditto on the return. Remember how nice air travel used to be in the U.S.? How special it seemed? In Brazil, it still is.

Viewing Iguaçu Falls requires a lot of walking and climbing, some of it challenging. The first day, we went by bus, jeep and, after a treacherous climb on steep, un-guarded stairs, zodiac boat up the river right to the base of the falls, getting wet but not soaked. Another, more daring group went right under part of the falls, but it appeared they were prepared, having stripped to the waist or to bikini tops.

After a good meal and a long night in hard beds in the Spanish Colonial style hotel in the park, the next morning we crossed the Argentine border by bus, where we caught two trains and then took a hike to the catwalks which extend out over the river 1100 meters to the very edge of the most dramatic part of Iguaçu Falls, the Devil's Throat. This is a horseshoe shaped section which appeared to be 300 or 400 yards across and perhaps half a mile long. What a marvelous sight! On the way, we passed the "ruins" of the old catwalk, which collapsed a couple of years earlier. Ah, well. That evening we dined in Paul Bocuse's restaurant atop the hotel. A good meal, high but not outrageously priced, but nothing spectacular. It had a great view of the lights of Copacobana. This time we had a ocean-front room on the 14th floor, so we could actually see the people on the beach. Lovely.

At the concierge's suggestion, we went to the Hippy Market in Ipanema Sunday morning. Held in a park several blocks in from the famous beach, this weekly open air market specializes in local art, crafts and jewelry, with clothing and souvenirs also available. I got Pat a huge topaz and silver necklace. We also bought a very nice modern sculpture, as well as a couple of small limited- edition prints, all exceptionally easy on the pocketbook. We had a great time. If you're in Rio on Sunday, don't miss it!

Back at the hotel, we just had time to collect the luggage from our room and grab a drink before catching the bus to the ship. Boarding a Radisson ship is a delightful experience, you are welcomed with a glass of Champagne, and the formalities are handled quickly, efficiently and pleasantly. The only downside here was that the passenger ship terminal in Rio is a long building. They drop you at one end, forcing you to walk quite a distance carrying your hand luggage past yet another gauntlet of hucksters for the inevitable jewelry and other duty-free shops in order to reach the greeting area and gangway. Once there, you're in Radisson's friendly, competent hands, but till then, you're on your own.

Because of our other cruise plans, we had asked for the lowest cost cabin available. On Radisson's Seven Seas ships, all suites are at least 300 sq. ft., and most have balconies. In this case, we got a suite on six deck, port side, without a balcony. Instead, each morning we had seamen outside on a walkway, hosing down and cleaning up. The first morning, a passenger wandered back and forth, lost we presume, but that happened only once. We learned to close the drape before retiring. Cabins on the Seven Seas Navigator are really terrific; spacious, well-furnished and -equipped, exceptionally comfortable. The baths are perhaps the best afloat, with separate tub and shower and a spacious vanity. We don't miss the double sinks some folks favor, having consciously left them off the plans of the last two houses we've built. Everything else was there in abundance, especially large, absorbent towels and bath-sheets and even pool towels! Our cabin stewardess and her helper were just delightful, cheerful, prompt, nice. Actually, that goes for everyone on board the Navigator. We've never been on a friendlier ship. Or heard of one. The entire crew seems to go out of their way to be nice, to greet you, to get whatever you want or need. May sound exaggerated, but isn't. Try it, you'll see.

Knowing passengers joining the ship may not have had lunch, they kept the informal dining room on ten deck, the Portofino, open late. Thoughtful! Lunch was delicious, a nice buffet plus carving and pasta stations, while out on deck, a grill offered hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. On most days, there were two grills outside during lunch, the second with at least four or five choices, including a grilled fish and some kind of steak. They also offered fruit, cheese and other deserts. More than enough; too much, really.

That first day our waitress seemed to have a large, busy station, part of which was outside on deck, but we didn't wait overly long for anything. We soon learned to sit on the other side of the room, in Ann Marie's area. She's a very efficient, friendly English girl who seemed to anticipate our needs after only a couple of days. Throughout the cruise, service in all of the dining rooms was excellent to outstanding.

After lunch and a couple of hours unpacking into the very spacious cabin and walk-in closet, we explored the ship. Then we were invited on deck for Champagne, to watch as we sailed out of Rio de Janeiro. It was dark, but the lights were a sight themselves, and Sugar Loaf was silhouetted against them. Then, to dinner. We put ourselves in the hands of the Maître D', Miki, asking him to put us at "a large table with interesting people". On this and every other evening that we didn't make our own arrangements, Miki put us with people we enjoyed. We sat with the Staff Captain the first formal evening, and at the Captain's table twice (the Captain wasn't there when we were -- we sat there when we were with a large group, as it was one of few tables for ten available). Whatever you want, they tried to accommodate you. One night Pat wasn't feeling up to snuff, so we ate in our suite from the dining room menu. They served us in courses as if we were in the Compass Rose restaurant. Classy.

On Radisson ships, wine and drinks with dinner are included; no extra charge. The sommelier and his assistants knew their wine, but more important, they quickly got to know their guests. That first night, both the red and white wines served were Burgundies. I much prefer Burgundy to a Bordeaux, for example. The next night, the white was another Burgundy, but the red was Bordeaux. Having had a pleasant experience earlier on the Seven Seas Mariner, I thought I'd try again, and see what happened. I asked if any of the Burgundy they had served the previous night was available. But of course! Almost without delay, there it was. After that, wherever we sat (remember, the main Compass Rose restaurant holds almost 500 passengers when the ship is full) here comes one of the wine stewards asking if we were having the Burgundy tonight? And several knew us by name. This service is typical of what we experienced throughout the cruise.

One night early on we had dinner with two couples who were "circumnavigators" (i.e., had been on the ship for the entire World Cruise). They were very interesting, talking about the highlights (and the few low spots as well) of the trip to date. One of the men, a digital photography buff, was making an album of the entire cruise, a marvel according to the other couple. Although quite modest, he had been a very senior IBM systems engineer, and had been talked into teaching a three class digital photography and photo album course. I told him I had just bought a digital camera and was interested. One of the drawbacks of cruising on a small ship like the SS Navigator is that there are a limited number of things to do, particularly on sea days, so I welcomed this opportunity Unavoidably, I arrived late for the first class, held in the Stars Lounge outside the large Seven Seas show room. The class was over-subscribed, but we pulled up more chairs and everyone was accommodated. The class itself was very interesting. Ron, the instructor, was a good lecturer, exceptionally knowledgeable about his topic.

For the second class, I arrived early to find Ron with a projector, a table, and his own PC, struggling to rearrange the chairs into a classroom layout, so everyone could hear and see the screen. I helped, as did a couple of other early arrivals. The chairs were heavy and not easy to grab on to, so it was difficult to move them. When I spoke to Ron afterward, he said that after the first classes, support for his efforts was basically limited to announcing the class in the ship's daily newspaper, and providing the projector and screen. Later, I spoke with the officer who ran the computer lab, but he seemed unable to help. When pressed, he suggested I discuss it with the Cruise Director or even the Hotel Director. So I did. This resulted in only real negative in our cruise on the Seven Seas Navigator. I've been a bureaucrat myself, and have dealt with them for much of my career. I know when I'm getting the run- around or a brush-off. These guys didn't even try to hide it. For the only time on board the Navigator, I met with indifference and a defensive, negative attitude. The hotel director explained plans and implied he would get help for the room set-up, but none appeared. Unfortunately for him, the cruise director happened along when we were breaking the room down the second time, and I unloaded on him, but all I got were excuses and B.S. This was out of character for the ship and, in fact, for the whole Radisson line. There may have been something I didn't understand or know about going on, but it seemed to me here was an opportunity to give passengers something useful and desirable to do on a boring sea day, at little or no cost, yet they ignored it at first, and derided it when questioned head on. Certainly not typical or helpful.

My wife and I had planned a cruise from (or to) Australia and New Zealand, either on the Navigator this fall or on the Mariner next winter, but our experience this trip and on a longer cruise since have caused us to re-think our plans. This cruise was 13 days, calling at four ports: Salvidor de Bahia and Fortaliza in Brazil, Bridgetown, Barbados, and San Juan, PR on the way to Ft. Lauderdale. That left nine sea days. We don't play bridge, and are spoiled by our 45' lap pool at home. The casino crew went out of their way to drum up interest, running classes for neophytes early on and blackjack tournaments later. We enjoyed that. The library is pretty good, and there are enough computers when the ship has 350+ guests. Just upgrade memory and fix the charge- back software before the next long cruise, please. There were some good speakers, particularly former Attorney General and PA Governor Dick Thornburg (although his wife cut off informal conversation after the lecture, and little or no time was provided for questions.) Prof. Michael Mendelsohn, who talked on a variety of topics, was also quite interesting. But that doesn't begin to fill up nine days! Now think about expanding that to 45 days, with 19-22 at sea. Gives you something to pause about, doesn't it. It has us, I'm afraid. A few other observations: We never missed a meal, and the food was good to excellent. Perhaps not as good as the Signatures dining room on the Mariner, maybe even not as good as the Mariner overall. We both gained weight, not a lot but some. Pat wished for more variety in the on-board shops. We met quite a few very nice people. In fact, on every Radisson ship we seem to meet nice people. As for entertainment, the Peter Grey Terhune company are attractive, talented, energetic, and they sing and dance well. The concert pianist was excellent, although we missed her first (best?) show, unavoidably. Larry Hagman was on board and turned out to be rather entertaining speaker, although I never did care for either Dallas or I Dream of Jeanie. All in all, for a smaller ship, we found the entertainment surprisingly good.

The ports visited after Rio were less than inspired, in our opinion. We would have liked to cruise up the Amazon a way, or perhaps stop at Devil's Island. We did go ashore in each of the four ports, but took a tour only in Barbados. That was sponsored by our travel agent's Voyager Club, but we didn't think much of it. Of course, we've seen a lot of islands. "Free" tours are often worth just what you pay for them.

Next year the Mariner's World Cruise is scheduled to skip Rio, going directly from Ascension Island to Fortaleza. That certainly will be exciting! (NOT!) We've compared Radisson's port selections with some of its competitor's; in our opinion, we find them sorely lacking. Who plans these trips, anyway, the bookkeeping department? Of course, if you don't like the itinerary, you don't have to go. On this cruise, the hospitality and excellence of the ship itself, the excursion to Iguaçu, and the time in Rio made the whole thing worthwhile for us. Open single seating in the dining room is a major plus. It puts a real handicap on Crystal, which has two sittings for dinner. Seabourn and Silversea use smaller ships, and you do pay for their "all inclusive" approach. If you're not a drinker, or don't use the included amenities, you're paying for someone who is/does. Radisson balances this well, we think: drinks with dinner and an initial setup in your room are included, as are non-alcoholic beverages. After that, you pay for what you use. Works for us. All things considered, we'll be aboard Radisson again, but selectively.

Actually, we did book two future cruises while on this one. The first is the inaugural cruise of the new Seven Seas Voyager, which follows the shakedown cruise we've been invited on. Not worth it to fly to Europe for one week. We also booked a Montreal to Palm Beach cruise on the Navigator for the Fall of 2003, itinerary unseen. The initial details and ports of call were just awful, but now that they've made some real changes and expanded it to three trips over 20 days, we've picked up our option. We are looking forward Charleston and Savannah, but will miss Newport. And a first, West Point. Neat. And they listened to past passenger comments, AMAZING!

We do like Radisson, we like it best, in fact, but improvements are still needed in a couple of key areas. Some of the annoyances would be quite easy to fix, we feel. Like more interesting, informative activities on sea days (al la Crystal), and some more customer input and real thought given to itinerary planning.

Expand Review
Read More
Dont waste your time (or money) scheduling a massage
Publication Date: January 13, 2016

We just got back from a 10 day cruise on the Navigator. The people on this ship are first class, Friendly, always smiling, EXCEPT the spa. We scheduled a couples massage, Rearranged our schedule to match our massage. When we get there, they come out 30 minutes PAST our scheduled time and tell us, they are too busy and will need to cancel! No I'm sorry, can we reschedule, Just "we cant do your couples massage!! WOW, Very hateful people in the Spa. Now the rest of the ship, the people were AWESOME. Shore excursions were a little disappointing, but not horribly. Overall, this would have been a 4-4.5 star trip if it hadn't been for the Spa issue. Don't waste your time or money on the Spa.

Read More
Seven Seas Navigator
Publication Date: February 2, 2005

The Seven Seas Navigator is a lovely 490 passenger all outside suites ship with impeccable service, wonderful cuisine and great entertainment. We recently sailed on her from Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica, through the Panama Canal to Fort Lauderdale, with stops in the Panama Canal Zone, Cartagena, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Calica. Embarkation took all of five minutes with champagne in hand. The standard suites are very spacious (300 sq. feet plus balcony) and are beautifully decorated.

There is a living room area with sofa, chair, bookshelves with TV/vcr and fridge (which is stocked with complimentary soft drinks throughout the cruise), there is an initial complementary stocking of two large size liquor bottles as well. There is an actual walk-in closet with lots of storage space, and includes a safe. The marble bathroom is spacious as well, and includes a separate full-size tub and shower. The cuisine was excellent and includes choices in the regular dining room, or alternative Italian restaurant. A choice of complimentary wines was available with dinner and flowed freely. What was a standout if one could be picked, was the incomparable service. Service levels were uniformly excellent throughout the ship and

always included a smile and attention to detail. It was not unusual to have 3 wait staff at our dining room table for six. The only negative thing I could say is that I wish the cruise had been longer. We have been on over 30 cruises and this was the best.
Expand Review
Read More
Write a Review
Results 1 - 7 of 7 1