Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to kelly637
Default Please help! This is my first cruise. What do I pack?

Hi,
I'm going on an Alaskan cruise on July 18. We're going on the Norwegian Star. I have no idea what to pack clothes-wise. I've never been on a cruise. I've heard from the teen message boards (I'm 14) that people change a few times a day. Does anyone have some suggestions? Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Please help! This is my first cruise. What do I pack?

Hi Kelly,
Packing for an Alaska cruise takes some thinking....you'll need a few pairs of jeans or what ever pants you like to wear, sweat-shirts, t-shirts and throw in a pair of shorts or two, you could see some nice warm days. Also some rain gear, most likely you'll see some rain, after all it is a rain forest.

Then just follow the dress code for each evening for dinner, usually 2 formal nights, so bring your nice stuff :-)

Here is a link to a good article on packing for Alaska:

Packing for Alaska

Have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 29th, 2004, 12:24 PM
rshillman

A few items I suggest besides clothing:
1. My ship (RCL Radiance of the Seas) was terrific...but there was no clock in the room~so bring a travel clock
2. Extension cord with a power strip, in case there aren't enough outlets inthe cabin ~We were constantly re-charging digital camera batteries, laptop computer, and telephones (I have some techno-geeks in my family that cannot take a vacation without all of their "stuff")
3.Although we didn't have them,...I saw walkie-talkies to find other members of your family on the ship. They are helpful in the ports as well (up to 2 miles, I think).
4.If you have a choice indigital cameras, use the kind that have re-chargeable batteries. We took hundreds of pictures...my son's camera went through about 10 sets of AA batteries. I just re-charged minevery night.
5.Again, regarding cameras...everywhere you turn in a fantastic picture, with no camera skills necessary. so the optimum is a digital camera with LOTS of memory. Otherwise LOTS of film! Betwen my son and I, we took over 800 digital pictures in a week and hardly any were bad enough to be deleted.
6.Sunscreen..I never thought I would need it in Alaska...but I did, and then had to spend way too much for it on the ship.

I traveled with my 14 year old daughter and my 20 year old son. They had a blast...you will too! Its a trip of a lifetime so enjoy !
Old July 3rd, 2004, 08:46 AM
Passenger

Hi Kelly!

Here is some advice that I hope you find helpful:

1. Layering is the key in Alaska. The weather can change sooooo quickly there! Pack t-shirts, sweatshirts, a light jacket. If your family is planning to eat in some of the pay-extra restaurants, pack a couple of skirts or nice pants. You don't have to dress real fancy - just resort casual. They have one optional formal night on the Norwegian Star, so you might want to bring one fancy item. Keep in mind that comfort is everything! Sweatpants are great for outdoor excursions.

2. I owe a big thanks to one lady who offered the most wonderful piece of advice that, thankfully, we listened too. We went to Walmart and bought a rain poncho (less than $3.00) to go over our light jackets. Not only did it keep out rain, but also wind! It can get quite windy in some ports. When it does rain, however, it usually doesn't last long.

3. We just got back from the Star on the Alaskan cruise on June 6th, so please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

Hope this helps - and have a wonderful time! Alaska is so beautiful, you are sure to have an awesome trip!

Old July 3rd, 2004, 01:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Kelly, my addition to the list is a pair or two of rain/wind pants and either a windbreaker or "windshirt". The weather onboard can be breezy and a bit cool and damp. Also, STURDY WALKING SHOES OR LIGHT HIKING BOOTS with non-skid soles and the appropriate socks. Finally, add something to cover your ears. I like the wide fleece headbands as they are not too heavy and won't go flying off into the ocean like a hat will. Hope this helps. Have a great time!

Post Edited (07-03-04 13:57)
Old July 3rd, 2004, 06:57 PM
Alfred

Default Re: Re: Please help! This is my first cruise. What do I pack

This will also be my first cruise in September and I was wondering about this question. IF we are sailing RT from San Francisco to Alaska, does it matter what side of the ship our rooms are on (we have balconies) ? I have heard when sailing South to North you should be on one side of the ship or the other.
Or do you usually come back in the exact same route that you took up? In that case it would not matter. But it seemed by the itinerary that on the way back you do not cruise through the same areas, but are on a sea bound route back to the SF port.

Hope I am making sense...
Any help?
Old July 3rd, 2004, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Yes usually the routing is different on the round trip San Francisco runs. Starboard has been preferred in the past. But plan on being also out on deck seeing it all. You will have views part of the trip from each side. Nothing is ideal- go with what booking works best for you. Budget fully for costly excursions- you get only half a trip without them.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 11:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Karen I wasn't sure how to answer Alfred's question. For me a stateroom on an Alaskan cruise is a place to hang my clothes, shower and sleep...and that's about it. Never thought about which was the right side to be on. My "home" was always up on deck with my camera.

Old July 4th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Yes mine too!!! At a front open deck with the FULL views. The only way for me too.
Old July 5th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Passenger

Hi,

I live in Alaska...this is what to expect. The ports of ketchikan, juneau and sitka can very rainy. always plan your wardrobe in layers. pack one dress for dress up nights but bring extra accessories like a different sweater or scarf or jewelry to make yourself look different. It's warmest here in July but often that means 65-75 degrees F. Email me if you have any other questions. You will have a blast. Bring lots and lots of film and good walking shoes(no heels or you will be out of place)

mary
Old July 9th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Donna L.

Default Re: Re: Please help! This is my first cruise. What do I pack

We are cruising to ketchikan, juneau, and skagway July 16-23. Can you update me on the weather forcast.

Thanks