Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2005, 08:56 PM
tyttyx

Default Icy Strait Point, Alaska

My cruiseship will be tendered in Icy Strait Point, Alaska. Anyone can help to advise what is the difference between TENDERED and DOCKED ?

Any recommended shore excursion for Icy Strait Point ?
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Icy Strait Point, Alaska

Tendered- you will get on a small boat from your ship and boated to the dock. Go to www.cruisecritic.com a resident posts there. Top tours recommended are the whale watches and bear tours if going later in the season.
Old April 26th, 2005, 01:19 AM
tyttyx

Default Re: Re: Icy Strait Point, Alaska

Is the whale watching better in Icy Strait Point or would it be better with Capt Larry in Juneau ? Any advise ?
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Admiral

About the same with humpbacks in both areas.
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:57 PM
S Waltz

Does anyone know if there are tour companies in port at Icy Strait? We are really splurging in the other ports and we thought we would wait to see how the weather is the day we arrive at Icy Strait. If weather is nice, we might do the bike tour. Can you book it that day on the cruise ship?
Old April 27th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Admiral

If you are looking at a ship tour- they usually close out before you get to port, bike tours will also sell out.
Old April 27th, 2005, 08:24 PM
tyttyx

Heard the two top attraction in Icy Strait is Whale and Bear Watching. From the reviews I read, Icy Straits seems to have the MOST whale as compared to Juneau (even thoug it's already good at Juneau) and chances of seeing many whales on all trips. And the bear watching trip also has good chance of seeing brown bear.....

Is that true ? Anyone can comment ?

I'm now stuck on which port to choose for whale watching since both Juneau and Icy Strait get very good comments. Pls help !!

Is there any other ports that can be substitiuted from Icy Strait that I can see brown bear (my ports are Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Icy Strait Point and land portion is Seward, Alyeska, Anchorage, Fairbanks , Denali, Talkeetn).
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Denali Park- I'll assume you are on a cruise tour- is Tundra Wilderness tour included??? You will have brown bear viewing on that tour, but these are about 1/2 the size of the coastal browns. Binoculars are necessary, at least 10 power in my opinion. If you want the brown bears- eating salmon, Icy Strait is your cheapest option.
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:51 AM
jq

Default Re: Re: Icy Strait Point, Alaska

If you went back and looked at old posts, mine were some that you probably found giving positive response for whalewatching a ISP. Depending on the weather and your interests, you may want to schedule whalewatching for both as we did. On our last trip in Sep, we had rain and a lousy day in Junea so a wet tour with Capt Larry. Everyone was soaked, camera gear was all wet no matter what you tried, but we still saw whales but pictures were all grey. ISP was nice sunny day and we saw lots of whales doing lots of things. But next trip, it could be the opposite. We wanted to do whalewatch and bear tour in ISP but didn't have enough time due to times of the tours. So we did not book until we got on ship because we wanted to see how we did on our bear tour to Katmai NP first and if we did not see bear, we were going to choose this one. But we saw our bears, and booked the whalewatch. BQ will be going to ISP and can give us more info. The first ships should be in in the next week or two.
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:14 PM
tyttyx

Any recommendation whether should the whale watch and bear watch in Icy Strait to book with cruise ship or book any independent tour when arrive in the shore ?
Old April 29th, 2005, 06:03 PM
First Mate

Always book in advance, or you run the risk (almost certain) of it being sold out. I don't know of independents in ISP, so you might want to book with the ship.

Carnival Spirit to Alaska
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:36 AM
Admiral

I won't be in ISP until August, hopefully someone will be going earlier for postings.
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:26 AM
beckybear

There are no independents in Icy Strait Point. The owner of Icy Strait Point is the local Native (Indian) Association. They control everything. You can book when you get off, but it will be the same tour and you won't get io at a cheaper price like you do when you book trips independently in other ports.

As for "better" there is no better Juneau or Icy Strait Point. If you have lots of things you are interested in doing in Juneau, then definitely do our whale watching in Icy Strait Point. ISP does not have the broad range of activites Juneau has.

Becky
http://www.Alaskapersonaltours.com
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:20 AM
Admiral

There is an independent whale watch in Hoonah, FISHES contact them via email. fishes@hoonah.net Have gotten excellent reviews.