Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

Old January 24th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Familiar Face

Default Never considered this ...

I had always booked my reservations either online or directly with a cruise ship company - thinking these would be easily the least expensive ways to cruise. I figured, once I got a travel agent in between me and the cruise, they had to be paid, right?

Not so, and not nearly so. In a recent go-round with HAL, I found that the cruise line had no available rooms at the lowest advertised rates. I assumed that must be the case across the board, but did a little more digging and not only found rooms at the price point of $599 (instead of $699), but over two rooms picked up an additional $200 on shipboard credits.

The combination of savings dropped my costs from $3565 (one of the two rooms I booked was a Deluxe Verandah at $899 per person, guaranteed) down to essentially $3174 - a $400 savings. On the same ship.

FWIW, the same port, basically same stops, using the same type arrangements through Celebrity: $3700. For me, this wound as one of those V-8 moments, realizing what I should have known all along ... it pays to price check.
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Admiral

We always use TA's however ,we had a terrible TA and will never use her again.
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Admiral

we always use a TA, have a great one, have always said that a great TA is worth her/his weight in gold, i just want to pick up the phone tell her we want to go, and let her take it from there, she know us, our wants and dont wants, likes and dislikes and picks a few cruises for us to choos from
Old January 26th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Familiar Face

Default Tried

I tried working with a local TA. Almost out of hand, she turned down looking at cruises. "I can't make any money on them, and you can do better just looking online."

Surprised the heck out of me. I mean, I had always been an internet seeker, but I was willing to give the local gal my business. Then this happened online, finding the TA through a hyperlink. I want to say it was Avoya but she picked me up quite a bit.

Tell you what; I turned right around and pre-ordered $400 worth of onboard enjoyments. MDR? Not for me!!!
Old January 26th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Admiral

It never ceases to amaze me when I read posts like this, I thought everyone must realise that any virtually holiday is cheaper via a TA. Thanks for posting the info though.