Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Default Balcony doors...

I have been watching a thread elsewhwere in which someone asked the innocent question "is it ok to leave the balcony doors open" or words to that effect. In my opinion there should have been one answer "NO" but this has rambled on for days now it beggers belief that people find stuff to argue about, mostly it's anyone who speaks up gets slapped by the "inner circle".
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

balcony doors open - of cource it is OK if the weather is OK,
if not I would close the door.

I can not remember that I closed my balcony door on Epic or on R8.

There can be only one problem - the strong wind if you open the cabon door
to your cabin : be carefull then
Old February 20th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It's the way of the message boards. Everyone has an opinion and it's their right to state it.

The facts are: The balcony doors are "supposed" to remain closed to control the air conditioning and the slight chance of a large wave hitting the ship or some stupid person throwing a cigarette and it starting curtains or other things on fire.

But people like to leave their doors open and hear the sea and smell the salt air.

Frankly, I don't care just don't complain that you can hear my conversation, during the middle of the day, on my balcony, because you leave your door open.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 20th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Admiral

I am shocked....I thought everyone kept the doors shut because it confuses the Aircon not only in your cabin but in several others too.
Old February 20th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Ah, but this isn't an " open or shut " case ---Some say yes, leave it open--some say no, close it. Some say they like to sleep with the balcony open to hear the waves, water, etc. It does , as far as I know put a load on the a/c system,and as well, will fill your cabin with damp, humid air and then the next day you have to run the a/c wide open to try to cool off the cabin again.And too, as was mentioned, no matter how many times it's announced not to do it, there's always some nut who will throw cigarette butts overboard and they can and do blow back into the balconies at times. One could very easily blow back far enough to get the curtains and bedding on fire. One fine morning I went out onto our balcony and a cigarette butt had landed in the white plastic chair and had burned a place a couple inches long into the plastic. The chair was usable but for all practical purposes was ruined. And so, some are against leaving it open.
One thing you need to be careful of and especially so if you have a small child or children is to remember that if the balcony door is open, day or night, and you open the cabin door, there's usually a very strong surge of wind that will slam your cabin door especially hard and if you should have a small child in the way, it could get hurt very badly by the force of the slamming door.
Having said that, I sleep with mine shut as I don't want to get a cigarette butt into the bed with my butt and don't want to have all the humid air pouring into the cabin and then have to spend the next day with the a/c full tilt to try to cool it off, so I can open the door again that night an start all over again the next day.
So. open or close--Tis your choice--is it better to try to hear a faint splashing now and then and risk being caught up in a fire, have a humid , damp cabin, or tis it better to comply and shut the door, enjoy the motion of the ship and sleep in comfort!!
And besides, there could be cat burglars climbing about on the balcony rails, looking for that open door through which to enter and make away with your valuables while you are lying there snoring away!
Old February 21st, 2011, 06:04 AM
Admiral

I am amazed that anyone would keep the door open after being told that it must be kept shut for safety & operational reasons. My point was I don't see how a question like this can go on for pages...maybe it can?
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

>>I am amazed that anyone would keep the door open after being told that it must be >>kept shut for safety & operational reasons.

I would do it , because I see no reason so close the door.
Balcony cabin cost too much , so I don't care in that case what they tell.

>>it confuses the Aircon
I Don't think it confused anyting : moderns ships have unconfusible Airocdition.

As a matter of fact I don't like aicondition very much, so if it confused - i would be
happy.