Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Arrow Cabin door decorations

Before joining CruiseMates I was on Cruise Critic a lot, so I got to see some really cute cabin door decorations. Seeing pictures of them made me want to make door signs.

Do any of you decorate your cabin doors? Have you ever done that either to celebrate a special occasion, make finding your cabin easier, or just make your door look personal and different?

I made a "first cruise" sign for my "Sensational weekend in Paradise" and an "escaping completely" sign for my first Princess cruise. They both have full color photographs and national flags at the bottom, a larger framed photo in the middle, and colorful text in 3D and bordered letters at the top. They also have a sand background and fish border. The last thing I have to do is buy magnetic paper to print them on that won't come off during a week of opening and shutting the cabin door.

If you decorate your cabin doors, post your pictures here. I assume I am not alone now because I got the idea from other people. What do you put on your cabin doors?

Looking forward to cruising!

Read and post cruise reviews

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Captain

Seems to be a popular way to celebrate birthdays especially for kids, I think it's cute.

Was thinking of getting a small white board for the door for messages. Planning on being at these activities join me if you wish kind of thing for friends and family. Without a phone I found it sometimes difficult to locate someone on the ship of 3000.
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

On our first CM group cruise on the Epic,which was a Halloween cruise, we saw the door below,and I thought it brilliant. On Saturday, we will have our 2nd CM group cruise on her again. My husband the printer, made a a Cruisemates sign for the door, so we can spot each other.Look at the this!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 15th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

OMG just when you thought you saw everything, you see something else .

I finally finished door signs for both cruises. I used Word Art at the top to make 3D and bordered letters in different textures, colors, and gradients. The bottom half is photos of the ship (Carnival Sensation), two places I will go to, and the Bahamas flag. I spent too much time on them to not buy magnetic paper.

My first cruise is the week before Halloween, so I probably will miss out on decorations for that.

Old March 18th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Familiar Face

Sorry, but decorating the outside of any room or apartment is trashy. Decorate inside to your heart's content, but don't ruin the view for everyone else in the hallway.
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

I live in Florida. This sounds very much like our condo commandos down here. All doors must be the same! Decorating the door is a fun part of cruising! Nothing wrong with being a little creative, as long as it doesnt damage the door permanantly. And it really does help assisting in finding your room, especially if you've had a little too much to drink. This would be a good topic for the "cruise gripes" forum, perhaps.
Old March 18th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

I remember reading a thread about Princess ship passengers decorating their doors. At least two people had gripes about their cabin stewards saying there is a rule against it. The reason they did not want paper on the door was the fire risk, so I thought if I have a sheet of magnetic paper instead of four small magnets holiding it up, I should be OK.

My mom is terrible in the finding directions department. However the main reason I will stick a magnet to it is it adds a fun element to the cruise. Why not since Carnival calls its fleet the fun ships? And for my first cruise ever, it is nice to have something marking the occasion.

Old March 20th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Admiral

I have no problem with people decorating their doors , especially if it's a group and as long as their decorations are funny and or tasteful and do not damage the door. I've seen some cute ones and some that weren't so cute but as I said, as long as it's all in fun, let it be.
What I do find a little hard to understand though is when I see where people say " it helps me find my cabin"--- Isn't that why they have numbers on cabin doors and hotel rooms? The numbers tell you all you need to know about where your cabin is and surely people who cruise can read numbers, at the least.
Just my humble opinion which is worthless to anyone but me, but I've never decorated a door and have yet to try to get into the wrong cabin !!
Old March 20th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

When someone says, "It helps me find my cabin," I assume that means it's like having the outside light on so when you are driving home at night it's easier to find your house. Of course, there also are people who totally forget where the cabin is if it is not right by an elevator. Maybe somebody is in a hurry and does not have time to look at numbers. Whatever the reason, I am sure those people are telling the truth.

You don't have to worry about mine bieng in bad taste. It is an announcement that I am on my first cruise (and Mom is on her first cruise too) and, drawing from the ship name, having a "Sensational Weekend In Paradise" a reference to the island Atlantis is on. Its pictures are color photos of Atlantis and the ship's exterior If anyone hates it, he or she probably hates the idea to have any door decoration unrelated to Christmas.