Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Default Worst cruise lines

Which cruise lines would you absolutely NEVER cruise on again ?
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Well worst is very subjective. I'm not sure there are any "worst" lines out there, just one's that don't fit us. I've sailed 5 different lines and if it were the right ship, right itinerary, right price, I'd sail any of them again....although some more willingly than others. I have interest in booking some of the European lines, Costa (even before the accident) or MSC for instance.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old April 18th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Carnival - never again
Coral Princess 9-18-06 (Alaska)
Carnival Fantasy 02-04-2008, Caribbean
RC - Grandeur of the Seas 8-2010-Caribbean
Ruby Princess 2-3-2013 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess - 9-21-2013 - New England
RC - Serenade of the Seas 4-2014 - Bahamas
Old April 18th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Admiral

For us it would be NCL but you can never say never. If the right price for the right cruise we would cruise with them again. And even though many conplain about the Pride of America I would cruise that ship to be able to see Hawaii and if my grandson is still working to see him.

One our first cruise with MSC there were many American's that were very unhappy especially about the food that they constantly stated they would never cruise MSC again and would tell their freinds not to either. The problem was that the food on MSC is very Italian, to my husband and myself we just felt that some of the food was bland, but no where near what others were saying.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Captain

I dont plan to sail NCL again until they make some changes. We are Main Dining Room people, and the food there was just awful. I suspect this was on purpose, to get us to go to the $$$ restaurents. Entertainment was sub-par also. On our last cruise on Carnival, the food quality had declined as well.
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I don't think there is a bad cruise line, rather, perhaps, a bad ship within a line. I will say though, I would sail HAL, only with a CM group, not as a couple.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 18th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Admiral

I've polled friends and relatives and the majority have said they would never cruise on NCL again .
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ask your family and fiends when their last NCL crusie was...things sure have changed..food and entertainment options get lots of thumbs up.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:37 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

Pesonally......loved ncl

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Default Worst Cruise Lines

Carnival.

Judy
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Admiral

I don't have any "worst" cruise lines or ones I wouldn't cruise again (of course, except for those that don't exist anymore). I think we all find our preferences and figure "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Then there is Kukimoon who has yet to find a ship he didn't like and keeps searching.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I don't have a worst. I would say that Royal Caribbean is my least favorite and that is because for three RCCL cruises in a row we did not enjoy the food and the service wasn't too good on the last one. However, Royal Caribbean has some beautiful ships and great activities.

Much of the "food" stuff is luck of the draw and I know others on our last Royal Caribbean cruise thought the food was fine. It's a matter of opinion, preference and who was cooking at the time you were served.

I have read and heard people who hated Azamara because it was boring. There are no production shows and it is a smaller ship. Then again, their goal is not to be an "Entertainment Ship". They are destination oriented and provide a luxury hotel feel to their ships. I love it but others don't.

I sailed on Epic and had overall great food, wonderful entertainment, and cruised with great people. However, I won't sail Epic again unless it's really cheap and/or a phenominal itinerary. The layout of the ship, it's external appearance and the cabin layouts just bothered me so much that I don't want to go back. That's my problem, but it's something that really bothers me even if it isn't quite logical. I find that the case with many people. There are one or two things that make something bad in their minds even though there are ten good things to offset those one or two things. It's interesting how the human mind works.

Take care and enjoy whatever cruise line or ship you sail.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Admiral

On the o0ther hand i LOVED the Epic, The handicapped cabin that Ray ahd I had was plenty large! The food in the main dining room I think we both loved the besf.

But then it was a Cruisemates Cruise and they pulled out all the stops (thanks to Paul and Matt). I was always leery of NCL but I have to admit that of my four cruises, that one was the best.

Then of course it pays to "know" people.

Regardless, I'll sail NCLagain, even before RCL which our previous cruises had been aboard but the cuisine had fallen considerably.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
On the o0ther hand i LOVED the Epic, The handicapped cabin that Ray had I had was plenty large! The food in the main dining room I think we both loved the best.

But then it was a Cruisemates Cruise and they pulled out all the stops (thanks to Paul and Matt). I was always leery of NCL but I have to admit that of my four cruises, that one was the best.

Then of course it pays to "know" people.

Regardless, I'll sail NCLagain, even before RCL which our previous cruises had been aboard but the cuisine had fallen considerably.
Todd:
I know you had a good time and so did I when I went last year. The handicap accessible cabins aren't the same as the "regular" cabins. They are much larger and symmetrical. I know I wouldn't have the same opinion if I stayed in one. The aft H/A cabin that Linda had last year was the same size as an aft Penthouse suite. Actually, that is what the cabin directly above it is.

I upgraded to a Large Balcony Cabin from the aft cabin because there were three of us sailing. I was very disappointed in the "large balcony cabin". Those cabins are now designated as Mini-suites. I know anyone who has sailed on other NCL ships in a mini-suite will be quite disappointed when they book and sail in Epic's mini-suite.

No matter: As I said before, it's interesting how a couple of things can turn someone off even if other things were great.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old April 19th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Admiral

David and I have cruised well over thirty cruises each. The worst by far was Norwegian C.L.

We cruised with Notwegian in Europe, Hawaii, and NW United States. All three cruises were of poor quality.

Thr food and service were both terrible with few exceptions. The Hawaii cruise was the clincher with feces on the walls of our cabin, blood stains on the floor and carpeting. The coup de gras was when our room steward quit after three days and we had to clean and bus our own cabin for the remainder of the cruise-

Multiple complaints went to deaf ears in the pursers' office as well as NCL headquarters. We both agree we would never cruise NCL even if the cruise was free.

When friends ask us about NCL we are quick to suggest they do not think about NCL.
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It is funny - I really should not say who I would not cruise with again because of my job title - but there are a few where I just have no desire.

I do agree with Linda that ship selection matters a lot. We really enjoyed our NCL Hawaii vacation - Chuck, your experience sounds very unusual, like one of the very early cruises before they got their act together with the American crew.

I have not taken any regular NCL cruises except for two on Norwegian Epic, and I enjoyed both of them a great deal. I love O'Sheehans and of course the entertainment is first rate.

But I have not sailed on Norwegian Sea to Mexico or anything like that, and older smaller ship might be really different.

I don't care for the 1990's era ships of the mainstream lines. I generally don't like small ships, but I really would personally disagree on the Azamara statement above. I often cruise ot see the world, and Azamara has great food and service for that kind of cruising. I don't care about bingo, bands by the pool, production shows (of average caliber) etc. I love a ship that spend a lot of time (overnights) in port and feeds me quickly and well.

The last ships I would personally recommend are small ships (under 70,000-tons) on long itineraries with lots of sea days, and I don't care how "luxury" it is. To ME that is a boring time. But I took a 15-day Crystal cruise with just one port of call and enjoyed every single day of it because there is so much to do onboard.

I have to say I like most ships, prefer bigger & newer ones, and itinerary matters to me. If I don't like the itin I had better like the ship a lot. I would not do a transatlantic on an older cruise ship with no activities.

Linda - you mention HAL, but that is one line where ship selection is VERY important, because they have a lot of older smaller ships, but they also have newer and much more active ships - They are vastly different in my book. I really like the newer HAL ships a lot.
Old April 19th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Paul,

Since I'm the only one that has mentioned Azamara so far I think you were referring to my comment. I think we basically have the same opinion.

Quote:
I have read and heard people who hated Azamara because it was boring. There are no production shows and it is a smaller ship. Then again, their goal is not to be an "Entertainment Ship". They are destination oriented and provide a luxury hotel feel to their ships. I love it but others don't.
I probably didn't make myself clear. They are destination oriented, port intensive but don't offer the large scale entertainment that larger ships do. Yes: Their food is excellent.

Take care,
Mike

Old April 20th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes, you made it clear, I was just agreeing with you.
Old April 20th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I really don't have a least favorite. I guess of the majors I'd be least attracted to NCL. But if they started sailing from Texas again I would be on them just for the convenience.

I liked the food on MSC and would sail them again...there were hopes for them to sail from Houston since they have such a huge container operation there, but not so far.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 20th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I also liked the food on MSC in Europe. I found that since they have to cater to such a diverse audience that they really provide a wide variety - at the buffets for example.

Breakfast would have fresh croissants, steaks, omelets and any kind of egg order, mueslix, fresh fruit, cheese, sausage meats (English-style) and bacon, etc.

Lunch would have pasta, seafood (like octopus & squid), charicot (French steaks), german schnitzel, sausages & saurkraut. All good.

The alternative restaurants had some of the best food I've had, including the 24-hour sports bar (which no one seemed to know about) where you could get a hamburger and fries freshly cooked at any time.
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Familiar Face

Surprisingly, Disney. I think it was because we expected it to be more up to Disney standards. It was still a great cruise, though.
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Admiral

White Star Line

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014