Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Passenger

Default Letter of Consent for minors and Passport

Can anyone tell me if both are needed when traveling with children of divorced parents. I know passports are now required (and they alone have restrictions for minors, but my sister has full custody of both of her children and has court documentation of that. Is a Letter of Consent to travel required or will court documentation be enough stating she has custody be enough. Has anyone ever had this issue before? Your thoughts would be appreciated, we want to make sure we have what we need before we go.
Thanks,
Leslie

Star Princess (Spring Bread 4/9/06)
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Re: Letter of Consent for minors and Passport

Leslie, I would play it safe if I was you. To have full custody doesn't mean you have permission to take the children out of the country. This is a safe guard to protect the other parent. If you have both passports, and letter of permission, then you will have what you need, and not have to worry about it. They might not ask for it, but if they do, you have it, with no problems. Hope this helps.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Admiral

You need the letter of consent from both parents. Custody does not mean permission to remove them from the jurisdiction of the USA. You will also want to have a letter giving you permission to make all medical decisions on their behalf as well.
Jim

Old June 29th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Admiral

My niece has a child that has no father listed on the birth certificate. The child is a minor. How do they handle this? We will be leaving before the end of the year so passports aren't necessary. What does a parent do when the other parent basically doesn't exist??
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Admiral

I would bring the birth certificate (which if you don't have a passport you have to anyway).

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am divorced and have full custody of my daughter. I live in California and assuming the laws aren't any different in the other states, as long as she has full custody of her children she does NOT need a letter of consent. All I needed to get my daughter's passport (by the way, she is 8) was her birth certificate and the court order (it must be fully executed and certified that it is a copy of the original). They do keep both papers as they need to verify all the information is true and correct. When they mail the passports they send back all the paperwork that was turned in. I was never asked for a letter and I am glad since my ex and I do not get along at all. Your sister should not have any problems.

MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2006
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-DECEMBER 2005
MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2005
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-AUGUST 2004
Old July 3rd, 2005, 09:22 AM
Admiral

>>I live in California and assuming the laws aren't any different in the other states, as long as she has full custody of her children she does NOT need a letter of consent.>>

It's not the *state* laws you are concerned with, it's what Mexico or Belize, or whatever country you are entering requires. You aren't bringing a passport, or other documentation to get OUT of the country, but to get into another and then back out.

And as far assuming laws aren't different from state to state - they are often VERY different.

Bring the birth certificate.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04