Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Porter Watkins

Default World Cruise - clothes!!!

Considering a world cruise lasting 108 days. Obviously cannot begin to pack enough in airline-allowed suitcases(size or weight). Do the cruiselines help here? or do we just ship boxes to our cabin on the ship? If so, how far in advance and how do we do this? By UPS? Can we be pretty sure that the boxes will be in our cabin when we board? Then after the trip is over, will the liner help us ship our return boxes home somehow? (full of clothes and stuff bought around the world) We'd be going from the ship straight to the airport, so wouldn't have time or any way to go to a UPS store or such. We are thinking of either the Cunard line or Holland America for this trip. Thank you. pw
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2005, 01:34 PM
First Mate

Default Re: World Cruise - clothes!!!

wow, that would be the cruise of my dreams.

why go threw all the trouble of '' packing, sending clothes to and from the cruise and having a cabin full of boxes of clothes ''' for the whole cruise???? i could probably buy a new wardrobe in the ports with that money.

i would pack as if i were going to be on a 2 week cruise. do laundry on the ship and pick up new things in the ports. no one on the ship is going to remember what i wore anyway after the first couple of days.

Old August 14th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Don't know about HAL and Cunard; however, Radisson shipped 250 pounds ahead and shipped on return, also.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 14th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Porter Watkins

Default Re: Re: World Cruise - clothes!!!

Thanks for the reply. I'll call each line and see what it is they suggest if I don't hear a definitive answer. pw
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Gertrude

You really have to check with each individual cruise line to see what their practice is. Also these practices change so get it in writing when you make a deposit.

Also call the airlines and find out how much they charge for excess baggage, it may be less expensive just to take the extra luggage with you as extra baggage. Various entities use air couriers paying the airfare of someone so they can get the passenger extra baggage rate for their shipping rather than just shippng their packages.

If shipping isnt practical or possible dont worry you can pack light. On deck on sea days you'll mostly wear a bathing suit all day and you really can rewear your clothes on the cruise. You dont need 108 different outfits. Another thing to check is whether the cruise line either offers laundry machines or a landry service to passengers. It may be more practical and less expensive to have your laundry done once in a while rather than have enough clothes for 108 days.
Old August 15th, 2005, 08:00 AM
dfrancis

There is a free self-service laundry on the QE2, or you can have it done for you for a fee.
Old August 18th, 2005, 02:48 PM
George S

Hi!
You can check as many pieces of luggage as you wish, as long as you are willing to pay for them. My Grandparents go to Florida every year and always check about 7 or 8 bags between them. The first 4 are free and they pay 90.00 one way for each additional suitcase. This is USAirways fees. Other airlines may charge different prices. Nevertheless, don't just assume your airline won't allow it, they will. Its revenue.
Have a GREAT time!!! Gosh, 108 days, that is a dream come true!