Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:41 PM
Beginner

Default Best side of the ship, Port or Starboard

Going on Carnival Legend in November. I am looking to choose my cabin. The ports are leaving from Tampa to Grand Cayman, Cozemel, Belize, isle Roatan and back to Tampa. Looking to choose the best side for scenery from a Balcony room.
Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2009, 01:47 PM
Admiral

I've done this one and am doing it again, also in November. At night, you can't really see anything anyway, so the view doesn't matter. But, if I had to pick, I would guess starboard, since the ship is heading south. But, which side they dock on is seemingly random, and you get the reverse coming home. I think our balcony was on the starboard side last time, but I can't swear to it. They usually dock when I am up on deck anyway so I didn't really pay attention. And the closeup views of the ports are not terribly exciting anyway. You will also be tendering into Cayman and Belize, and no way to tell which direction the ship will be facing when at anchor.
Marty
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

In Grand Cayman they tender, so it doesn't matter. In Cozumel the port side is the port side, the other side looks out at the sea so not much to see.I can't believe I just wrote that sentence.

I don't know about Roatan or Belize.

Would you rather see the dock or the water?
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Best side of the ship, Port or Starboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Going on Carnival Legend in November. I am looking to choose my cabin. The ports are leaving from Tampa to Grand Cayman, Cozemel, Belize, isle Roatan and back to Tampa. Looking to choose the best side for scenery from a Balcony room.
Thanks for your input.
You tender in Grand Cayman so it makes no difference.

If you are on the port side of the ship in Cozumel and dock on the north side of the Carnival pier you will see the port and some of the island. If you dock on the south side of the pier you will probably see another ship. The ships dock on both sides and which ship gets which side changes from sailing to sailing.

If you dock on the north side of the pier: Starboard: Island/Ocean, Port: Another ship

You tender in Belize so once again it makes no difference.

I'm not sure how the ships dock in Roatan.

It really makes no difference which side of the ship you are on so book the cabin in the location that is best for you. I.E. near an elevator or closer to the areas you want to frequent.

Now if you visiting Glacier Bay then port is the best side to be on.

Take care,
Mik,e

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Mike, you are right, I forgot they dock on both sides of the pier in Cozumel - because I only have memories of being on one side even though I have docked there three times (and tendered countless times)

Ah - its a crapshoot. You never can tell. In the long run it usually doesn't make much difference because it more fun to be out on deck during sailaway, and when you are in port you will be onshore, and when you are at sea the view is the same no matter which side you are one.

This is honestly a question experienced cruisers almost never ask, because we know from experience it just doesn't come up as a concern that often. Even in Venice where you would say port side if leaving from there, if the sights are that compelling you really want to be out on deck anyway.

That being said, since your are basically sailing a big counter-clockwise circle you might see more on the starboard side (looking out) than in. But if I had a better cabin choice on the port side I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take it.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Beginner

Thank you for the advice. I most likely spend most of the time wandering the ship or doing some of the excursions but I just thought maybe late at night there maybe some islands that are lite up to see off in the distance. I will take your advice and get the best available room and browse this form for everyone's input in the different message boards. This site is very helpful and hopefully i can provide some input for others when I return from my cruise.
Old September 5th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Captain

Paul, I'm sure there is a literary award in your future!

Loved it.

MB
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Passenger

One of the most important things to consider is what is above your head while in your cabin. On our last trip we were under the Lido deck and it was a lot of noise, guests, stewards ,and deck workers moving table and chairs at all hours of the day,night and early morning was the worst when they would be washing down the deck. Many people complained to the front deck but nothing was done, it was the type of build of the ship,she was old,the new ships have more sound proofing between the decks. So if you are a light sleeper check was overhead. Like the "Bowling Alley"
Zuiderdam 2006
Westerdam 2007
Statendam 2008
River Odyssey 2008
Prinsendam 2009
Volendam Booked for 10-26-09
Bizet Booked for 5- 7-10