Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to asasj5
Default Magens or Trunk Bay??

Is there a huge difference between Magens and Trunk Bay? We won't have time to do both but I want to make sure I pick the best beach in terms of soft sand and calm water. We also need to leave enough time to shop so I would rather choose the most convenient if there's not a big gap!
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

If you want to shop and stay at the beach, you best go to Megans Bay and shop in Charlotte Amalie. Trunk bay is at St. Johns, and it takes a while to cross over.

Read and post cruise reviews

Old December 29th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Admiral

both beaches have white silky sand, and calm turquoise waters. Both are very popular with tourists so they do get a bit crowded. If you want to do any kind of snorkeling know that there is in NO snorkeling at Meagan's Bay Beach.
I feel that the beaches over on St. John island are more scenic than Meagan's Bay(which is gorgeous). You can do the beach and shop if you choose to go to St. John island. Its just takes a bit of planning. We grab a cab at the pier, take the taxi to Red Hook Harbor(25min) where we pick up the water ferry to CruzBay, St. John (30min0, then we grab a taxi to the beach (10min). We hit the beach in the morning, get back to the ship, drop off beach stuff, grab a bite to eat and then hit the mall at Havensight.
Check out this web site it is full of great info- www.vinow.com.
Old December 29th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Admiral

My vote would be "none of the above". Trunk Bay is nice but you will invest 2 to three hours in transportation alone. Cab to Red Hook, wait for ferry, ferry to St. John, cab to Trunk Bay (and of course return). All to go to a nice beach.
Maegens is a beautiful beach with no snorkelling, crowds, an admission fee, and "state park" facilities.
The best of all worlds is Saphire Bay. Cab ride is about the same as to Maegens and Saphire is two minutes beyond the Red Hook Ferry stop. While others are getting in line to take the ferry, you will be on the beach.
Beach is out in front of resort and condo's. It is quiet and uncrowded. There are chair and umbrella rentals as well as beach "toys" and activities rentals. Two places serve food and drinks and a convenience store/souvenir stand is a third alternative. Public restrooms and outdoor showers are available (no cost). View is across to St John and the BVI's beyond. Snorkelling right off the beach is tops.
Spend the morning at the beach (say 830 to 1pm) then take a cab from the cab stand at the resort (always plentiful) into Charlotte Amoile or to Havensight Mall for shopping. Give yourself a minimum of an hour to return to the ship from Charlotte Amoile as road does get congested as cruisers head back to ship.
Old December 29th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Magens or Trunk Bay??

Quote:
Originally Posted by asasj5
Is there a huge difference between Magens and Trunk Bay? We won't have time to do both but I want to make sure I pick the best beach in terms of soft sand and calm water. We also need to leave enough time to shop so I would rather choose the most convenient if there's not a big gap!
Forget St. Thomas altogether and spend your day on St. Johns! The prettiest LOT of beaches to be found in the Caribbean! Hide a taxi driver when you get of the water tender on St.John and spend the day visiting them all! St.Thomas is our least favorite island in the Caribbean, and we've been to like 15 of them! It's to American, to touristy, to commercial, to crowded, and not a pretty as most others. IMHO
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Please do not take the poster's advice who said to skip St. John. It is the most breathtaking place in the Caribbean. It is no big deal to go there and still haveplenty of time for shopping in the afternoon.

This is what we do: get off the ship early and take a taxi to Red Hook (taxi ride is about 20 min. depending on traffic, maybe less). We catch the 9 am ferry over to Cruz Bay, St. John. The ferry is $4 pp one way and it takes 20 minutes. It runs every hour on the hour. Once you get to Cruz Bay, St. John, there will be lots of taxi drivers willing to take you to any beach you want (Trunk Bay is nice, but Cinnamon Bay right next door is less crowded and still has amenities such as beach chair rentals, showers, bathrooms, etc.). It's free admission at Cinnamon Bay; Trunk Bay is about $4 pp. BTW, your taxi driver taking you from the ship to Red Hook may "hook" you up with a taxi driver over on St. John. Don't hesitate to take him up on his offer. He will tell you who to look for, and they will be standing at the dock waiting for you. The prices are all preset, so nobody will rip you off. We spend the day at the beach and have our driver come back to get us around 12:00 so we can catch the 12:30 (they run every half hour on the hour) ferry to Charlotte Amalie to do some shopping (the driver we tell to come back and get us at a predetermined time has never let us down; they all want to compete for your business, so he will show up to get you, don't worry). We skip going back to the ship entirely. If you take the ferry back to Charlotte Amalie instead of back to Red Hook, it will put you very nearby the shopping. We take a change of clothes with us and shower at the beach before heading back. We are easily able to do both and still be back at the ship by 3 or 4 p.m.
Old January 26th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Beginner

Have never been to trunk bay but as for Magen's Bay it definitly is not what everyone makes it out to be. I heard all this great stuff before I went and I won't be going back. Just not what I expect for a beach. There were no activities, and so many trees that there was not as much sun as I would have hoped for. Good Luck.
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Beginner

I agree with sugarnspice8104 on this one. Magen's bay is over rated. Nothing special. Never to Trunk Bay but next time for sure.
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:02 PM
First Mate

I would go to Trunk Bay, we were there and it is beautiful. It is often on the list of most beautiful beaches list. It does take a little longer to get to but is definitely worth it.
Old May 28th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Beginner

I TOTALLY agree with CRIDAPPERS and Sugarnspice8104 on the advice about Magen's Bay. It was very beautiful from the road above but disappointing when you actually went in the water. The facility for changing clothes was uncomfortable and the beach bar was a joke ! I would not recommend it for anything more than a photo opportunity. The water was not even very clear...