Old March 27th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Missing a Flight

I know this is a cruise site but,, What if you cant get off the ship in time to meet your flight deadline. I've never missed flight in my life but this time could be the first.
Flight leaves miami 1127am. Ship arrives 8am. There are NO other seats avail after the 1127 flight under 1300.00.... so we booked the 1127am.. What do the airlines do normally do to help you when that happens ?? American Airlines//
Old March 27th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Missing a Flight

If you didn't book your flight thru Carnival, I doubt if the airlines will do much to help.They might, but who knows....

And I guess I'm confused, why would you book your flight to leave after the ship arrives?? Can you book your flight the day before??

Good luck!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old March 27th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

I think Cash is refering to the return flight home which flying the day before is not an option since the ship will be at sea but maybe the day after will work
Old March 27th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If you're not travelling internationally, and you can carry off all your bags, you can be in the first group off the ship.

I also believe that in Miami, American Airlines is the only airline where you can check the bags right at the pier (though I'm not sure if they do this only for Royal Caribbean ships).

If you don't wait for any cruise line transfers, and just grab a taxi, I think you can make your flight.

Old March 27th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Good luck with that! Hopefully, you can get off the ship fairly quickly. If the ship arrives at 0800, it could well be at least an hour before passengers are cleared to leave the ship. You will need to be at the airport at least an hour before departure. Not sure of the travel time between the dock and the airport. It's going to be very tight. I wouldn't expect the airline to hold the departure for you since they will have a plane load of other people there expecting to leave on time. They might allow you to use your tickets to go standby on a later flight. I realize the next flight would cost a lot more but you took a real gamble at booking your flight so early. Hope it works out for you.
Old March 27th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Yeoman

I agree. Too early. The Miami airport on Saturdays and Sundays (cruise days) is a real zoo, because there are so many ships leaving and coming back on those days. If you miss your flight, you'll have to literally hang around the AA counter to see if they can get you out on the next flight. Cruisers don't usually book flights that early, because there's a good chance you might not make it. The pier is about a 20-minute ride to the airport. Taxi is $20.00 plus tip total (not per person). Plenty of taxis, but also plenty of traffic. Good luck!
Old March 28th, 2004, 07:39 AM
spike

A smart thing to do is make a reservation at an airport hotel in case you need to stay overnight. Just make sure they have a 4pm day of arrival cancellation policy, and you remember to cancel if you don't need the room.
Old March 28th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Yeoman

Good idea, Spike, especially at the Miami airport hotels.
Old March 29th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Shipbound

If you make this flight never do that again just consider your self lucky.

Gary
Old March 29th, 2004, 12:48 PM
bill123

your boat will be at dock sometime in the middle of the night , most likely the 8am time they gave you is the time you start getting off the ship, just let them know you have an early flight and they should let you disembark first.
Old March 29th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Yeoman

Kuki: OT, but just want to say that I just love your Dudley Dooright moose! Eh?
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:41 PM
Passenger

All cruises we have been on allowed priorty disembarkment for those flights before noon, as was our last one, Royal Caribbean, so don't worry about it and enjoy the cruise
Old April 3rd, 2004, 08:58 PM
Kellie

Default Re: Re: Missing a Flight

wondering what is a reasonable time to book a flight to allow enough time to disembark? Any suggestions?
Old April 3rd, 2004, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Missing a Flight

Try for 12:30--or later. In theory, you can make an earlier flight. But that entails everything working right. Something that rarely happens. And, even if it does, rushing to catch a flight is not the way to end a relaxing vacation.

Post Edited (04-03-04 21:24)
Old April 3rd, 2004, 10:34 PM
First Mate

When I was on Voyager last May, I had an 11:45 am flight. I was at the airport by 9:30 am, no problem. Just make sure you are one of the first ones off the ship. There shouldn't be any problem.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09