Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default 5 year old and Dunns River Falls

What is your opinion about a 5 year old climbing the falls? Too young? Any ideas what I can do with him while my husband and 2 older sons climb if not recommended? Thanks alot!!!!
Old September 30th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

The only problem I see is that you have to physcially PULL the person behind you up each step. Many steps are easy, but then there are some that are not so easy. I remember when I climbed it I had a young boy behind me and I found it hard because he was so light I practially yanked him up to be on the same rock I was on...He was not very big and he couldn't pull up one of his parents who was behind him, I had to help pull them up....

You could try to get a guide all to yourself and tip him well for you and your family, that way you don't have to worry about who your young one will have behind him!!!! The thing with the falls is everyone goes up in a chain.

It is well worth the climb, I did it and loved it!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old September 30th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Captain

We took our daughters and all had a blast. You just have to remember that you or your spouse will need to help each other as well as the helping the next person below you because your child will not be able to help pull another adult up. This was not a problem for us and there were lots of other children as well. The only issue we had was trying to keep up with her since her climbing skills and flexibility far exceed ours. Take him and have a blast.
Old September 30th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Admiral

I swam in the water at the bottom of the Falls with my grandson while my daughter and son-in-law enjoyed the climb. My big, strapping son-in-law slipped on the rocks and banged up his knee so bad that he had to visit the ship's infirmary when we returned to the ship. The rocks are slippery and, as misguidedangel mentioned, you have to hold hands while climbing so if you do take him put him between you and your husband because he will not be able to pull another person up behind him.
Old October 1st, 2008, 08:36 AM
Admiral

I would not recommend it.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old October 1st, 2008, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Default Re: 5 year old and Dunns River Falls

BTDT with my kiddo at that age. We went last as a child that age is a better pullee than a puller up the falls. Be sure you all have water shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmom
What is your opinion about a 5 year old climbing the falls? Too young? Any ideas what I can do with him while my husband and 2 older sons climb if not recommended? Thanks alot!!!!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old October 1st, 2008, 11:39 AM
Captain

A 5 year old is pretty young.. it takes a lot of energy not to mention some strength. The last thing you want is to have him hurt himself and you have to deal with medical care in a foreign country. Let him swim in the water near the beach with supervision while the rest of your party can enjoy the falls. He will probably rather play in the sand anyway...
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:40 PM
Admiral

I would be really cautious about taking a child that young up the Falls. The rock "steps" are steep for an adult and very slippery, plus the water is flowing down them. I've known several adults, including those physically fit, who have gotten hurt climbing the Falls. One man broke his arm, another cracked his head. So, I'm not talking minor injuries. Think hard about whether it is really worth it. Having to pull your child up the falls will also throw you off balance.
I've done it twice when I was younger. Glad I did, but never again.
Have fun...safely, whatever you decide.
Marty
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well you guys have convinced me. He's not going up on the Falls. I want to try to find something for everyone and would prefer not to split up the family for the day. Maybe another excursion for all of us but at the same time I'm feeling sad that the rest of the family would miss out on something wonderful.
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:44 PM
Admiral

It is not that easy of a decision. My guy has done the falls, and been in the water with sharks, rays, manatees, dolphins and whales, and even climbed El Castile at age 5 - 10 cruises and not a scratch on him. The ex takes him on one and he comes back all cut up from tripping on uneven pavement.

There is a trail/stairs by the falls and it is possible to go from the top of the falls to the bottom and back without climbing.<possible solution>

That said you could also just do a plantation tour, but then some years back folks were robbed on one of those. So the safe decision can become the unsafe decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmom
Well you guys have convinced me. He's not going up on the Falls. I want to try to find something for everyone and would prefer not to split up the family for the day. Maybe another excursion for all of us but at the same time I'm feeling sad that the rest of the family would miss out on something wonderful.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Admiral

We went floating on bamboo rafts on the "Great River" (I'm from the South...it is a wide shallow stream)..there are two people to each raft.

It was fun and interesting without being to over the top and there was a rum tasting at the end which was interesting as well.

This was a ship excursion.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND