Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 46
Default Sea Sickness

So, how does sea sickness work? Once you throw up, you're good? Or, if you get sea sickness, this is gonna be 4 days of hell for you.

I guess I'll find out myself in 2 weeks.. lol
__________________
05/09 - Carnival Paradise
03/10 - Carnival Paradise

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 96
Default

Some people get ther"sea legs" after only a few hours. But I've seen some who stay sick the entire cruise and have to spend the whole week in bed. I suggest buying some over the counter patchs before you go. You DON"T want to visit the ship's doctor, if you think the cruise cost you, wait till you get the medical bill!!!!!!!!!!! But really these ships don't rock and roll much and most of the time you will swear your walking around a large land resort. The captain goes out of his way to avoid stormy weather, since sick people wont buy those overprised drinks or spend time in the shops or casino.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturist
Some people get ther"sea legs" after only a few hours. But I've seen some who stay sick the entire cruise and have to spend the whole week in bed. I suggest buying some over the counter patchs before you go. You DON"T want to visit the ship's doctor, if you think the cruise cost you, wait till you get the medical bill!!!!!!!!!!! But really these ships don't rock and roll much and most of the time you will swear your walking around a large land resort. The captain goes out of his way to avoid stormy weather, since sick people wont buy those overprised drinks or spend time in the shops or casino.
Thanks for the heads up! Do they have insurance or anything in case I need to go to the doctor?
__________________
05/09 - Carnival Paradise
03/10 - Carnival Paradise

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:59 PM
green_rd's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indianapolis (USA)
Posts: 5,399
Default

It is like motion sickness. If you get motion sick brace yourself. Otherwise like Naturist said, you probably won't have much problem. Pick up a package of Bromine or Dramamine (Bromine is non-drowsy)
__________________
Bob

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:06 PM
joeyanddavid's Avatar
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 155
Default

if you do feel nauseous try a ginger ale.. ginger works well
__________________
Joey
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 96
Default

A couple that was on a cruise with us had to use the ship's doctor for a jellyfish sting that she got in the most intimate area. I know she said they accepted her medical plan. But how it turned out between her and the insurance company I don't know. Knowing insurance companies nowdays, I'm sure she got nailed for going to a out of network doctor. On our last cruise last week, I saw the sea sick patches in the ships store. But since everything in there was marked up 2 or 3 times, buy them at your local Wal-Mart before going and use the savings to buy the two of you a drink when you get onboard.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 149
Default

First of all, I hope that you have a wonderful cruise and for most people sea sickness is not an issue. My advice would be to buy bonine before leaving home. Take one bonine pill every night before you go to bed, and to take your first pill the night BEFORE you get on the cruise. Even though it is not suppose to cause drowsiness it can cause you to feel a little different. That is why I suggest taking it before bed, because if there are any effects it is while you are asleep.

If you feel like you are doing okay stop taking the pills and see what happens. If you start to feel bad during the day take an additional pill, order a ginger ale, and get on deck where there is fresh air, but do NOT sit near the edge were you can see the horizon bobbing (if it is bobbing at all).

Oh, if you are into a more home remedy solution start taking ginger pills two days before boarding the ship once a day and take ginger pills twice a day while on the ship. I personally do not think this works as well, but others swear by it.

Oh, a side note to everyone, the front desk will give you packets of bonine for free if you ask. Each packet contains two pills. If you are feeling sick go straight to the desk and ask for the pills. Read the directions on the packet, take the recommended dosage, get a ginger ale, and get in the fresh air! Lastly, do not sit in the hot Caribbean sun if you are feeling sick. Find a breezy, cool, shady spot where you are not looking at the bobbing horizon.

That is my advice take it for what it is worth.
__________________
NEXT: Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas 3/11/2012 Western Caribbean

Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas 12/4/2009 Bahamas
Carnival Valor 3/9/2008 Eastern Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas 6/24/2006 Western Mediterranean
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas 5/29/2006
Carnival Conquest 6/20/2004 Western Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas 12/20/2002 Bahamas
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:59 PM
ferrangi's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Antioch
Posts: 1,157
Default

Myself... I was worried about it at first, but then I thought I used to spend the whole day on the river in a 15 ft alumminum boat with my day I never got sick, but I was still moving when I hit land...
Anyway, I was going to take something before I started on the cruise but then I thought, if I take something now, I may have to keep taking it forever. So I just started with nothing and guess what, I don't need anything... yahooo.
__________________
Cruisin' Carvival
Carnival-Paradise Sept, 2007
Carnival-Pride Aug 31, 2008
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:21 PM
nurseypoo5's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Keller TX
Posts: 688
Default

I get sooooooo seasick on small boats at sea, like fishing boats, even larger ones that hold up to 200 people...go figure, cuz i love them.

I worried about this also...the first two cruises i didnt get ill, and the second one was horribly rocky, lots of seasick people...so wow i thought i was just freaking immune to it

Well...God laughed me down, cuz this last Jan, we went on the Conquest, and it was rocky but not nearly as bad as it was they jan before on the Ecstasy (smaller boat)...but on the second to last night...after playing cards for hours, i felt a bit "wierd"..now i hate to vomit and i'll fight it till i am about to die...but i was just laying in bed begging my husband to make the boat stop rocking. If youve ever been really drunk and the room is kinda spinning and you cant make it stop...and your nauseas, its kinda like that. I ended up throwing my toenails up...one really good long 20 minute session of ickiness....then i was able to lay down and sleep. I felt "ok" the n ext day, but didnt drink or eat to much. I didnt get sick again.

This is the one time i think you DO feel better after you throw up, and usually when people say that sentence i just want to scream BITE ME. but in this case its true. I did. I also put my seabands that i've carried with me for 2 yrs and never used before..ugly as they are i wore them the last day and it probably helped along with a few ginger capsules a friend gave me.

Dont be scared tho, or you will sike yourself into feeling bad. You willknow soon nuff if your gonna get seasick.

Also..the number one piece of advise i can give.....get a cabin mid ship as MID as you can get and go as low as you can go toward the bottom of the ship. Probably why i didnt get ill the second more rocky trip is because i was on the riveria deck midship vs the seasick cruise where i was on empress mid aft.

Good luck
__________________
Carnival Conquest 9/07
Carnival Ecstasy 1/08
Carnival Conquest (hey i cant afford airfare lol 1/11/09
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old May 1st, 2009, 01:09 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
I get sooooooo seasick on small boats at sea, like fishing boats, even larger ones that hold up to 200 people...go figure, cuz i love them.

I worried about this also...the first two cruises i didnt get ill, and the second one was horribly rocky, lots of seasick people...so wow i thought i was just freaking immune to it

Well...God laughed me down, cuz this last Jan, we went on the Conquest, and it was rocky but not nearly as bad as it was they jan before on the Ecstasy (smaller boat)...but on the second to last night...after playing cards for hours, i felt a bit "wierd"..now i hate to vomit and i'll fight it till i am about to die...but i was just laying in bed begging my husband to make the boat stop rocking. If youve ever been really drunk and the room is kinda spinning and you cant make it stop...and your nauseas, its kinda like that. I ended up throwing my toenails up...one really good long 20 minute session of ickiness....then i was able to lay down and sleep. I felt "ok" the n ext day, but didnt drink or eat to much. I didnt get sick again.

This is the one time i think you DO feel better after you throw up, and usually when people say that sentence i just want to scream BITE ME. but in this case its true. I did. I also put my seabands that i've carried with me for 2 yrs and never used before..ugly as they are i wore them the last day and it probably helped along with a few ginger capsules a friend gave me.

Dont be scared tho, or you will sike yourself into feeling bad. You willknow soon nuff if your gonna get seasick.

Also..the number one piece of advise i can give.....get a cabin mid ship as MID as you can get and go as low as you can go toward the bottom of the ship. Probably why i didnt get ill the second more rocky trip is because i was on the riveria deck midship vs the seasick cruise where i was on empress mid aft.

Good luck
Thanks! We got a suite, mid ship so hopefully if i'm sick I can atleast enjoy the suite.. lol
__________________
05/09 - Carnival Paradise
03/10 - Carnival Paradise

Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old May 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 46
Default

Obviously I know weather changes the "rockyness" however if the weather is all the same, is it more rocky departing, more rocky in the middle of the ocean, or is it about the same?

Trying to determine if I can survive the departure, and there's no storms, if I should be able to enjoy the rest of the trip.
__________________
05/09 - Carnival Paradise
03/10 - Carnival Paradise

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:27 PM
Thoth's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Miz-sippy
Posts: 1,604
Default

Maybe it was just luck of the draw, but I've found that the bigger the ship, the less bumpy the road. I can't recall speaking with anyone on the Destiny or Valor who got sea sick. The relatively small Holiday was a different story.
__________________
PAST TRIPS= Enchanted Capri
Carnival: Inspiration, Legend, Valor, Destiny, Holiday, Triumph, Splendor, Fantasy
HAL: Maasdam twice, Statendam, Oosterdam



Read and post cruise reviews


Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:55 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Western KY
Posts: 47
Default

Ginger capsules have worked for me. As stated before take 2 days before cruise & everyday of cruise. I even take 2 days after cruise until I get my land legs back. True about larger ships, less rocky. I was on the Holiday & I thought I was on an amusement ride. I did NOT get sick :o Enjoy. I think some people can talk themselves into being sick sometimes.
__________________
Ecstasy 1997
Imagination 2001
Holiday 2004


Liberty June 2012
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old May 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 46
Default

We are on the paradise.
__________________
05/09 - Carnival Paradise
03/10 - Carnival Paradise

Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:54 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,264
Default

Buy an over the counter drug for sea sickness/motion sickness, though with the stabalizers ships have now, you most likely won't need it.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:16 AM
ferrangi's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Antioch
Posts: 1,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
Dont be scared tho, or you will sike yourself into feeling bad. You willknow soon nuff if your gonna get seasick.
This is true... on my first cruise, I actually didn't think about it much, but for some reason my tummy was starting to get sick and then all the "stinkin' thinkin' started....
"Oh my goodness, I'm already sick, I'm not going to make it, what's going to happen, are we going to have to cancel, how much money are we going to lose... etc, etc... " "I haven't left the dock yet"
My nerves got the best of me, the whole idea of the cruise was too exciting and I suppose I had a few butterflies, which led to a panic attack... I couldn't wait to get to the room to get the sea sick pills we brought.. by the time we were allowed in our room, everything was fine.

Boy that was a close call....
And I haven't taken a pill yet.
__________________
Cruisin' Carvival
Carnival-Paradise Sept, 2007
Carnival-Pride Aug 31, 2008
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:37 PM
badknees's Avatar
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 164
Default

My first cruise was out of Port Canaveral, a four day to Nassau. I could tell I wasn't on solid ground from the minute I stepped on the ship. After about an hour I started feeling just a tiny bit off. My friends told me to go ahead and take a Bonine. I did and felt fine. I took one the second day and then didn't take anymore the rest of the cruise. It was a rough first evening and night. Everyone was staggering in the passageways. And I kept hearing cruisers say that this sure was rougher than usual.
After that I bought the wrist zapper thing "Relief Band"for cruising and take it with me all of the time. If I start feeling a bit off I put it on and wear it for awhile. I don't need it most of the time. They are expensive but we found it on the internet for around $100. There are non zapping ones but I decided I wanted the zapper. I would much rather have the device than take pills. Even the non-sleepy pills make me tired unless I keep moving. My husband says he wears his all of the time. He says he likes the zapping. Go figure. He's not generally weird.
I think a big thing is to do something as soon as you start feeling "funny". If you wait to see if it will pass it will get a good head start and you will soon be in your cabin barfing. Another friend who swears she never gets seasick started feeling bad and kept ignoring it because " I never get seasick." She jumped up at dinner one night and ran to the cabin to recover. Which seems to be pretty quickly after barfing and sleeping a while. She never admitted she was seasick. DON"T WAIT!!
Just have something handy and take it early or buy the "Relief Band". I wouldn't cruise without it.
We're cruising, I hope, in a couple of weeks and my husband is checking out the batteries on the Relief Band and getting zapped. What ever makes him happy.
__________________
NCL-Pride of America-May 2011-Hawaii
Carnival Elation-Feb 2011-Mexico
Carnival Elation-Nov 2010-Mexico
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old May 2nd, 2009, 03:28 PM
brendaintexas's Avatar
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 67
Default

I'm going on July 20 ecstasy....My son said a patch took all of his seasickness away. He has inherited all of my other weaknesses, so I think the patch will work well for me....it has to be prescribed by a doctor.

Good luck on your cruise, and wish me luck, too. I don't want to miss anything because of being sick!
__________________
Brenda
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southwest Georgia
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
I get sooooooo seasick on small boats at sea, like fishing boats, even larger ones that hold up to 200 people...go figure, cuz i love them.

I worried about this also...the first two cruises i didnt get ill, and the second one was horribly rocky, lots of seasick people...so wow i thought i was just freaking immune to it

Well...God laughed me down, cuz this last Jan, we went on the Conquest, and it was rocky but not nearly as bad as it was they jan before on the Ecstasy (smaller boat)...but on the second to last night...after playing cards for hours, i felt a bit "wierd"..now i hate to vomit and i'll fight it till i am about to die...but i was just laying in bed begging my husband to make the boat stop rocking. If youve ever been really drunk and the room is kinda spinning and you cant make it stop...and your nauseas, its kinda like that. I ended up throwing my toenails up...one really good long 20 minute session of ickiness....then i was able to lay down and sleep. I felt "ok" the n ext day, but didnt drink or eat to much. I didnt get sick again.

This is the one time i think you DO feel better after you throw up, and usually when people say that sentence i just want to scream BITE ME. but in this case its true. I did. I also put my seabands that i've carried with me for 2 yrs and never used before..ugly as they are i wore them the last day and it probably helped along with a few ginger capsules a friend gave me.

Dont be scared tho, or you will sike yourself into feeling bad. You willknow soon nuff if your gonna get seasick.

Also..the number one piece of advise i can give.....get a cabin mid ship as MID as you can get and go as low as you can go toward the bottom of the ship. Probably why i didnt get ill the second more rocky trip is because i was on the riveria deck midship vs the seasick cruise where i was on empress mid aft.

Good luck

I have never been on a cruise before, planning to take one next year. It seem that if you are on the lower deck you would feel the rocking more because you are closer to the water. So are you saying you feel it more on a higher deck? Hope it's not a stupid question!
__________________
msslim

Having problems? Talk to God on the spot. Try to nip small problems in the bud. Don't wait until it's time to go to bed to try and pray.

Every night before bed, think of one thing you're grateful for that you've never been grateful for before. GOD HAS A WAY OF TURNING THINGS AROUND FOR YOU. "If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31)
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,264
Default

You feel it more on higher decks because you are further away from the stabalizers(which control the rocking of the boat). You shouldn't feel anything very noticeable regardless unless you run into a storm, which is rare because of the satellite based radar systems onboard.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1
Default

Hey

I went on my first cruise in February (triumph). I was SO paranoid about getting seasick, I kept asking myself why I even agreed to go on a cruise in the first place. I get a bit carsick sometimes, especially in the morning of if I'm in the backseat. I also don't do amusement park rides. I've always been ok on planes and on short riverboat tours...but I was still so nervous. I spent WAY too much time looking for "cures" before the cruise.


I started taking one ginger pill (500 mg) per day 2 days before the cruise. Then, once aboard I took one pill each morning and evening -- sometimes one at lunch too. I also found I felt the movement more at night, so I'd take a small ginger chewable ("Ginger Trips" by Solaray- really convenient, though not the best taste!) if I woke up feeling a little off (this happened a few times). We had one really rough night/morning after leaving St. Maarten. (captain had to change course, but it took a few hours to get out of the high seas) People could barely walk in the hallways and many were reporting they were sick. I did not feel any different this day, though the motion was more obvious since we couldn't walk straight.
Seabands did nothing for me-- I put one on during our rough sea morning just to see if I noticed anything. I never felt like I needed anything more strong (like the Bonine I brought).

And for reference -- our cabin was pretty close to the aft on the empress deck.
I felt the movement most in the dining rooms (both forward and aft) and show lounge.


I've booked a room on Lido in the front of the ship for the next cruise. I hope the ginger pills will be enough for this location!
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:47 AM
brendaintexas's Avatar
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badknees
My first cruise was out of Port Canaveral, a four day to Nassau. I could tell I wasn't on solid ground from the minute I stepped on the ship. After about an hour I started feeling just a tiny bit off. My friends told me to go ahead and take a Bonine. I did and felt fine. I took one the second day and then didn't take anymore the rest of the cruise. It was a rough first evening and night. Everyone was staggering in the passageways. And I kept hearing cruisers say that this sure was rougher than usual.
After that I bought the wrist zapper thing "Relief Band"for cruising and take it with me all of the time. If I start feeling a bit off I put it on and wear it for awhile. I don't need it most of the time. They are expensive but we found it on the internet for around $100. There are non zapping ones but I decided I wanted the zapper. I would much rather have the device than take pills. Even the non-sleepy pills make me tired unless I keep moving. My husband says he wears his all of the time. He says he likes the zapping. Go figure. He's not generally weird.
I think a big thing is to do something as soon as you start feeling "funny". If you wait to see if it will pass it will get a good head start and you will soon be in your cabin barfing. Another friend who swears she never gets seasick started feeling bad and kept ignoring it because " I never get seasick." She jumped up at dinner one night and ran to the cabin to recover. Which seems to be pretty quickly after barfing and sleeping a while. She never admitted she was seasick. DON"T WAIT!!
Just have something handy and take it early or buy the "Relief Band". I wouldn't cruise without it.
We're cruising, I hope, in a couple of weeks and my husband is checking out the batteries on the Relief Band and getting zapped. What ever makes him happy.
That's hysterical, badknees! I don't know why, but that reminds me so much of my sixth-graders, esp. the boys. They would LOVE trying out that zapper. Once I walked my students down to my house, and the boys wanted to touch the electric fence I use to keep my 3 big Labs inside the fence!
__________________
Brenda
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 983
Default

I have tried them all. The RX patches (worked great but stayed in my systme for days afterwards making me feel like I was still on a rocking ship). The regular Dramamine made me too sleepy. For the last 12 or so cruises my DH and I have used the LESS DROWSY Dramamine. It is good for up to 24 hours, but in bad circumstances you can take it twice a day. We usually take one the night before we sail to go ahead and get it into our systems, then take one, just before dinner each night. It works great and if does tend to make us a little bit sleepy then we just get a good nights's rest. I am very sensitve to most meds but don't have a problem with this. I have, on occasion, had to take them for a couple of days after the cruise.

I have learned that it is best to be prepared than to be sorry. Once you get sick, nothing is going to help much until you get your feet on solid ground.

You can buy travel insurance to help with on board medical bills, but you normally have to pay the fees then get reimbursed, which can be a hassle. Don't be too afraid of the ship's medical fees though unless you have a serious illness on board. I once had to use the ship hospital and had both urine test run, an IV and a urine catheter as well as blood work. The hospital sent a wheelchair to my cabin, and after a couple of hours took me back to my cabin in a wheelchair. The next morning they came back and got me and took me to the ship hospital in a wheelchair and removed the catheter and checked me out again. Total Fee: $89. I could not have gone to the local emergency room with Blue Cross insurance and paid only $89.
__________________
Been there - done that:
2003 Holiday
2004 Fantasy
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 46
Default

I made the mistake of youtube'ing "rough seas" and watching a bunch of videos.

Now I'm scared to get on the damn ship!

When people come back and write reviews and say it was rough seas, is it seriously like that? Where tables and stuff is flying around?

I imagine no, but you never know.
__________________
05/09 - Carnival Paradise
03/10 - Carnival Paradise

Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:43 PM
badknees's Avatar
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 164
Default

Optiz
For heavens sake stay off of youtube. You saw how many videos from the number of cruises taken? Some areas are more prone to rough seas. Some ships are probably more prone. But the majority of rough seas do not involve flying furniture more like a little more staggering about. And if you're not drinking and not staggering but watching others stagger then it's probably not rough seas but inebriation.
Please go and enjoy your cruise. We cruisers are hooked on sailing because we start off from the minute we think we can work in a cruise having a wonderful anticipation of the trip. Things may not always go as expected but it doesn't matter. Deal with it when it happens.
We expect we will have a great time no matter what. We are always looking forward to the next time we can cruise, always.
My husband and I are going to do more cruising just as soon as he retires.
We can hardly wait.
We've already got a cruise booked in September. I would love to do a back to back when we can.
Throw caution to the wind and enjoy your cruise. You're worth it.
__________________
NCL-Pride of America-May 2011-Hawaii
Carnival Elation-Feb 2011-Mexico
Carnival Elation-Nov 2010-Mexico
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,264
Default

I personally don't think I will need anything for motion sickness. I have a tendency to hate being stuck on solid ground, as it were. Much prefer the air and sea to being stuck on land. Oh, the ironies of life. To belong where one cannot stay.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:16 AM
brendaintexas's Avatar
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badknees
Optiz
For heavens sake stay off of youtube. You saw how many videos from the number of cruises taken? Some areas are more prone to rough seas. Some ships are probably more prone. But the majority of rough seas do not involve flying furniture more like a little more staggering about. And if you're not drinking and not staggering but watching others stagger then it's probably not rough seas but inebriation.
Please go and enjoy your cruise. We cruisers are hooked on sailing because we start off from the minute we think we can work in a cruise having a wonderful anticipation of the trip. Things may not always go as expected but it doesn't matter. Deal with it when it happens.
We expect we will have a great time no matter what. We are always looking forward to the next time we can cruise, always.
My husband and I are going to do more cruising just as soon as he retires.
We can hardly wait.
We've already got a cruise booked in September. I would love to do a back to back when we can.
Throw caution to the wind and enjoy your cruise. You're worth it.
Badknees, what's the appeal of a back-to-back cruise?
__________________
Brenda
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:53 AM
badknees's Avatar
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 164
Default

Brenda
It's two weeks or so to someplace you like to go or sometimes an alternate itinerary, no change of hotels "ship" so no packing up between trips, you already know the ship and crew, no cooking, no cleaning, nothing but relaxing, you leave and come back to the same port and the big thing is just more cruising. Have you ever done a tour where you packed up and moved every day or two?
I went to a site where cruisers were discussing b2b and almost everyone said it was great.
Off the subject I couldn't believe how badly one person trashed Carnival. She told a lady to get her money back and pick a better line.
In checking out RC recently I saw where they don't allow even clothing steamers. There are also no laundry areas where there is an iron or ironing board. If you need something steamed or ironed you use their service. Someone said she sneaked her steamer on and it didn't get noticed. Also you are not allowed to take on any kind of liquor. Maybe they think that if you are cruising RC and since they feel their line is more sophisticated that you will have plenty of money to spend on liquor and laundry or steaming. I'm not dissing RC. It's a different line with a different attitude. I may try them sometime. But I was rather taken aback by the attitude of the poster.
__________________
NCL-Pride of America-May 2011-Hawaii
Carnival Elation-Feb 2011-Mexico
Carnival Elation-Nov 2010-Mexico
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:38 AM
brendaintexas's Avatar
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badknees
Brenda
It's two weeks or so to someplace you like to go or sometimes an alternate itinerary, no change of hotels "ship" so no packing up between trips, you already know the ship and crew, no cooking, no cleaning, nothing but relaxing, you leave and come back to the same port and the big thing is just more cruising. Have you ever done a tour where you packed up and moved every day or two?
I went to a site where cruisers were discussing b2b and almost everyone said it was great.
Off the subject I couldn't believe how badly one person trashed Carnival. She told a lady to get her money back and pick a better line.
In checking out RC recently I saw where they don't allow even clothing steamers. There are also no laundry areas where there is an iron or ironing board. If you need something steamed or ironed you use their service. Someone said she sneaked her steamer on and it didn't get noticed. Also you are not allowed to take on any kind of liquor. Maybe they think that if you are cruising RC and since they feel their line is more sophisticated that you will have plenty of money to spend on liquor and laundry or steaming. I'm not dissing RC. It's a different line with a different attitude. I may try them sometime. But I was rather taken aback by the attitude of the poster.
Thanks so much badknees....one more question....do Carnival ships have irons in the cabins?
__________________
Brenda
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:13 PM
badknees's Avatar
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 164
Default

Brenda
The best I can tell is that no ship has irons in cabins. I don't think you are allowed to take an iron on board any ship. They are a fire hazard. I don't know how many ships have laundry rooms with irons. Steamers are ok on Carnival but I don't know about other ships.
__________________
NCL-Pride of America-May 2011-Hawaii
Carnival Elation-Feb 2011-Mexico
Carnival Elation-Nov 2010-Mexico
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
barfing, caribbean, carnival, ill, paradise, passengers, removed, review, royal, sea, seasick, seasickness, sick, splendor, stories

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is sea sickness like car sickness? lauera9482 Ask CruiseMates Staff 4 February 21st, 2008 10:21 PM
Sea sickness vs. car sickness erdooley Health at Sea 5 November 15th, 2005 02:23 PM
Sea Sickness?? natalietexas Carnival Cruise Lines 18 February 19th, 2004 11:32 AM
Sea Sickness Rosemary Ask CruiseMates Staff 9 September 29th, 2003 06:28 PM
sea sickness,does ginger work?,sea bands? mitch Health at Sea 5 August 27th, 2001 04:59 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:27 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1