Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmaker
I cruised Splendor on 9/20/09 and even tho I had alot of fun, I understand where you are coming from. I noticed the older crowd, 1.00 off drinks and would have smoked (I am a non-smoker, social smoker) if it were more readily available. I was mostly on aft deck 9 pool area and alot of the smokers had to go up 1 deck and smoke by themselves. (Sad) I will say that I had to jump in the hot tub and pool area to meet people and make cruise friends. I am over 50 and had a great time. I was quite surprised when some very fun african american gals got kicked out of the pool. I thought Carnival was the fun ship. I saw them later that afternoon in the pool and everything was cool. Just differences in fun I guess. I am sorry you didnt have a better cruise, I guess I would go crazy with fun leaving from a different port. Maybe next time I will venture out to the Carribbean.

Were those girls making tons of racket around noonish on a sea day? If so I was there and they annoyed the hell out of me. One in particular. They were having a good time though. I thought the whole experience was great. I dont care what color people are, the crew was friendly and the food was good. I dont smoke so I dont care about that. I really hate people that have to crap on Carnival every time they dont get their expectations met. I dont want to sail with the OP. He is a downer and he can go to a land based resort.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
I cruised Splendor on 9/20/09 and even tho I had alot of fun, I understand where you are coming from. I noticed the older crowd, 1.00 off drinks and would have smoked (I am a non-smoker, social smoker) if it were more readily available. I was mostly on aft deck 9 pool area and alot of the smokers had to go up 1 deck and smoke by themselves. (Sad) I will say that I had to jump in the hot tub and pool area to meet people and make cruise friends. I am over 50 and had a great time. I was quite surprised when some very fun african american gals got kicked out of the pool. I thought Carnival was the fun ship. I saw them later that afternoon in the pool and everything was cool. Just differences in fun I guess. I am sorry you didnt have a better cruise, I guess I would go crazy with fun leaving from a different port. Maybe next time I will venture out to the Carribbean.

Were those girls making tons of racket around noonish on a sea day? If so I was there and they annoyed the hell out of me. One in particular. They were having a good time though. I thought the whole experience was great. I dont care what color people are, the crew was friendly and the food was good. I dont smoke so I dont care about that. I really hate people that have to crap on Carnival every time they dont get their expectations met. I dont want to sail with the OP. He is a downer and he can go to a land based resort.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
Old October 16th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Captain

Default Re: I agree about Splendor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen46
I agree with you. We just returned from our cruise on Oct. 11 and were very disappointed in the ship. The crew was great and we did have a large young crowd. But the changes did not make us happy campers:
1. The lack of smoking area. One couple was told they would be fined $250.00 if they smoked on their balcony!
2. The restroom were hard to find and very small. In order for 2 people to pass each other, one person had to step in a stall.
3. No beverages (ice tea, coffee, etc) out on the Lido deck near the pizza! You had to trail all the way back into the buffet to get a drink.
4. Very few coffee pots on the Lido deck. By the time I stood in line to get my coffee in the morning, my breakfast was cold. There were only 2 machines near the eggs and they often ran out.
5. A lot of blocked areas. We never could get up to the bow area. We have always been able to on other ships.

It takes a lot for me to complain. I heard many angry people and I think their concerns were valid. I also heard about the $1.00 discount instead of free but we didn't go.

I hope they move the Splendor. Bring back the Pride. We are planning a 20th anniversary cruise with family next year (Nov. 2010). We won't sail the Splendor again.

The ONLY people who would be fined for smoking in their cabins are people with a SPA cabin. This is common knowledge for anyone who is booking this ship. So the other 90% of the cabins are still smoking as are their balconies. What a ridiculous statement to make about the cabins when 90% of them still allow smoking.

Yes, the entire Lido on the Splendor is nonsmoking because it is a covered area and is considered an indoor space (even when the retractable roof is open). This ship was NOT built for Carnival. It was built for Costa. But Costa did not have the bookings to accept it when it was finished...so Carnival took it into its fleet.

I am not debating the OP complaints about no free drinks... just correcting their incorrect information. NOTHING HAS BEEN TAKEN AWAY IN THIS DEPARTMENT>

Yes, the Captain's Party has been changed. But there are still FREE drinks at the Farewell Party. So instead of the incorrect information that Carnival has taken something AWAY...they have actually ADDED something. Free drinks at the Farewell party AND discounted drinks at the Captains' celebration. Last time I checked...TWO events are more than ONE.

This was changed because cruisers wanted more "face time" with the Captain and officers. So instead of one quick hand shake....guests can now have a real conversation. And it lasts for 3 hours....

The complaint about the Spa lockers is ridiculous. The lockers are available to everyone. I did not have one Spa treatment the entire time I was on the Splendor and I used the lockers every day without a problem.

There is a reduction to one sauna/steam room which is co-ed...instead of the male/female rooms but this one is still FREE.

Again, this ship ADDED the option of a thalasso pool. Again, nothing has been "taken away" from the spa in the jaccuzi area....most Carnival ships do not have jaccuzi in the gym area.

Sorry that smoking is being more and more restricted. That is the world we live in today. Carnival bills itself as a "family" cruise line and the exposure of children to second hand smoke is no longer an option.

There will always be places for smokers to smoke...but the only folks that should be inconvenienced ...are the ones with the addiction. No one else should have to suffer for another person's habit. No one (not even a smoker) has the right to harm another human being. Cigarettes (just like alcohol) are legal...but that does not give anyone the right to inflict harm on a child.

I won't even try to understand the "minority" complaint. Like it is Carnival's fault who books a cruise????? We have sailed from almost every port .....and every port has a different demographic sailing from it.

At any one time...there are up to 60 countries presented on a Carnival Cruise line.

Now if that isn't diversity...I don't know what is.

Just because someone thought "a particular" race wasn't represented well....tends to make the complaint sound more like a racist one than a cruise one.

Very well said. Also, you can smoke in the cigar bar on deck 4 anytime you want and you have a huge room to yourself. And as was earlier said most drinks are well under $10. Get the facts Jack!!
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Just a note on the Captian's cocktail party vs the farewell party. There were two captian's cocktail parites. One before each dinner seating. If I'm understanding correctly there is only one hour long farewell party on the last night and the ad is buried in the capers so people won't notice it. I understand what Carnival is doing they are aiming towards dumping the farewell party altogther it is a cost cutting measure. Better to offer $1 off drinks and get the bar revenue then free drinks.

I enjoy Carnival and all cruiselines have been cost cutting because of the decrease in cruise price. But please be aware that is what Carnival is doing. Carnival is taking away one of the parties with free drinks.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well, I'm going on the Splendor anyway. OM
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:06 AM
First Mate

When I posted back on Oct 13th I mentioned the diversity of the folks on the cruise. It was merely in response to ibcruizen and there was no hidden meaning or ulterior motive. It was purely informational. I personally do not care who cruises at the same time I do. I wouldn't want to be on a cruise say from Russia (yes I know there aren't many of them ) where I was the only English speaking cruiser. But then again, depending on where the cruise was headed maybe I would. Anyway I just wanted to clear up my comments on the diversity of the cruisers.

Need some cruise help?
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:00 PM
First Mate

I'm not going to turn this into a racial debate but; I recently cruised out of Puerto Rico on RCCL and until you're at the bottom of a very tall totem pole, you problem don't know how low you really are.

I'm Black (being called African American is an insult to me), and my girlfriend is Asian, and cruising from Puerto Rico we were very surprised (looking back, I have no idea why we'd be surprised), to be amoung very few Black, Asian, or White people onboard.

I'm not complaining but; whomever says they don't notice race is a lie. You can't help but to notice when things are "seasoned differently". Especially when you have time, day after day to soak up information.

On a 7 day cruise you begin to recognize all sorts of things when you're in such an environment. We had a great time on our cruise and because we can enjoy ourselves with everyone or with ourselves.
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Does one have to be Black, Brown,Striped, African American, Mexican American, Irish-American, etc. etc.??
Why can't we just be American's and let it go at that ?
It doesn't make any difference to me what color someone is or isn't--it's the person that matters--if someone's a nut, then their a nut--they don't have to stake a claim on being a white nut, black nut, Irish nut, etc--a nut is just that-- a nut--that's all.
I don't count how many different colors, nationalities, etc. I see when I go cruising--maybe that's a new game we can come up with--see how many Germans, Brits, French, Canadians, Americans ( of course we have to separate out the Americans into colors, religions, etc ) and at the end of the cruise give whomever has the most accurate count a cigar for their week of wasted work!!
My last cruise a few weeks ago my wife and I were sitting at a table in the buffet and 3 German couples came by looking for somewhere to sit-- It was crowded--they asked if they could sit with us-- we said sure-- a couple of them could speak some English and I can say a few words in German--we had fun trying to talk with each other. The ones who couldn't speak English had our conversation translated by the couple who could and vice versa--but one thing everyone understands is laughter-- we all enjoyed our lunch and maybe it was made a little more enjoyable because of the fact we had a little diversity at the table.

People should be like Pop Eye the Sailor man who used to say---
" I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam--I'm Pop Eye the Sailor Man"

Old October 18th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MAN
Well, I'm going on the Splendor anyway. OM
Old Man I agree with you completely I'm looking forward to my cruise on Splendor in May. My post was just to point out that yes the cruise price has decease and due to this fact there are cut backs. No Midnight Buffet, No captian's cocktail party, and no fruit punch. These types of cut backs are across all the major market cruiselines so switching lines won't make a difference. The industry is changing with the times. I like this site because it keeps me up on the changes. So I won't be disappointed once on board.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:53 PM
First Mate

Have not seen these cutbacks on Holland and Celebrity . Any comments in this regard?
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
Quote:

Briguy,
It could have been the same group. But the day I am talking about was storm day. The pool was very full and I guess very loud because is must have annoyed a few of the young couples. Oh well, I also enjoyed Splendor and thought the crew was friendly. I also didn't mind the decor. I was a little annoyed because only 2 of the aft elevators were working at any given time and I had to take stairs most of the time. But hey, I got exercise and did not gain any weight. I guess it was too bad we didnt meet up. Did you karoke?
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Admiral

After visiting about 35 different countries, I have a hypothesis that people are people. We have more in common than we differ....perhaps I'm wrong in such conjecture.
Reading history and I love history, I feel that we humans and human nature haven't changed in at least 2500 years.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:14 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
After visiting about 35 different countries, I have a hypothesis that people are people. We have more in common than we differ....perhaps I'm wrong in such conjecture.
After as many countries myself I agree... In fact if you look into a crowd at a "new" place you can make out people that you thought you knew... but in fact are strangers. It seems that we all have "dopplegangers" in other countries. They MAY be your "color" or not but look so much like your friend/sister/neighbor/etc. that you are amazed for a second or two until you realize it is not them.

While living in St. Thomas I went over to St. Croix for the day and saw another "lookalike" that proceeded to come over to me and ask if my father ran a country club in St. Matthews, SC... I was astounded... he WAS a friend on a vacation.. WOW someone who I actually knew. Never would have seen him if I had not been on a day trip to another island. LOL
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG
I'm not going to turn this into a racial debate but; I recently cruised out of Puerto Rico on RCCL and until you're at the bottom of a very tall totem pole, you problem don't know how low you really are.

I'm Black (being called African American is an insult to me), and my girlfriend is Asian, and cruising from Puerto Rico we were very surprised (looking back, I have no idea why we'd be surprised), to be amoung very few Black, Asian, or White people onboard.

I'm not complaining but; whomever says they don't notice race is a lie. You can't help but to notice when things are "seasoned differently". Especially when you have time, day after day to soak up information.

On a 7 day cruise you begin to recognize all sorts of things when you're in such an environment. We had a great time on our cruise and because we can enjoy ourselves with everyone or with ourselves.
EMG, I had to respond to you, I laughed out loud at your prefrence to be call black instead of African American only because I feel the same way. It could be a generational thing (smile). This is not a race statement I'm going to make, but a life one, I believe EMG is totally correct when he says that people who say the don't notice race on a ship is a lie. I know that what ever race you are, if the majority is of something you are not , you do notice. Is it racist to do so, ofcourse not, I personally enjoy a mixed crowd in many situations, If I went on a cruise that there were only a few like me would I notice, yes. Would that cause me not to enjoy my cruise. Ofcourse not,I enjoy all people. Just my two cents

Carnival Fascination March 2008
Carnival Destiny March 2009
Carnival Imagination June 2010
All Inclusive Cancun August 2010
Carnival Destiny October 2010
Carnival Fantasy May 2011
Carnival Fantasy October 2011
Carnival Fascination January 2012
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
Quote:

Briguy,
It could have been the same group. But the day I am talking about was storm day. The pool was very full and I guess very loud because is must have annoyed a few of the young couples. Oh well, I also enjoyed Splendor and thought the crew was friendly. I also didn't mind the decor. I was a little annoyed because only 2 of the aft elevators were working at any given time and I had to take stairs most of the time. But hey, I got exercise and did not gain any weight. I guess it was too bad we didnt meet up. Did you karoke?

Karoake'd a few times and tried out for the legends but got eliminated early. I was Elton in the show last year but there were better singers than me this time so I didnt feel too bad. It did make my realize I am not that good though. Think I will stay off the big stage for awhile.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Mouche 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) I have to smile, I agree it is generational ...I'm still trying to figure out why the statement was made in the original posting ...I have been blessed to being a world traveler since the late 70's and a cruiser since the mid 70's...when one travels and cruises to Europe on a European based cruise line...Americans (no matter what the color of one's skin is) may be viewed differently more based upon one's conduct and attitude as opposed to one's color...my most recent cruise was this past April to the South of France, on a river cruise on Princess De Provence, on Peter Deilmann (German owned)..there were 144 cruisers, of which 132 were from Germany (makes sense) and 12 Americans, my friend and I were the only guest of color and by a wide margin the youngest (both in our 50's)...were we treated differently ?..virtually all of our German co-passengers spoke various levels of English, and not one American spoke any German, so we were embraced by our co-cruisers to practice their English and there was a healthy level of curiousity to reach out to engage my friend and I, more because we were from New Orleans (and they wanted to know about Katrina and our music) and my Jazz teeshirts then the color of my skin..and why we had selected Peter Deilmann..so yes, we were treated differently (which we enjoyed)...I have cruised thru 4 decades and watched the emergence of a greater diveristy of cruising guests..if one does not make it an issue, more then likely it won't be...my brother and his wife are getting ready to go next month on the Hogs on the High Seas (HOGS) Biker Cruise...I wonder if they will be treated differently ...the diversity make up on any cruise, on any line, on any given week is a crap shoot and cruising should be about everyone getting along for a week...IMHO
Old October 24th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Passenger

As someone who has sailed on the Fantasy class ships both out of the East Coast and the West Coast, I will have to say that I enjoyed the Carnival Elation 5 night to Cabo and Ensenada more than the one on the Sensation to the Bahamas. I felt the people on the Elation were more respectful and courteous than on my cruise on the Sensation. Maybe I am biased since I have lived in the west my whole life but I just found people to be more pushy and rude on the Sensation. JMHO

Past cruises:
December 2008 Carnival Sensation
May 2009 Carnival Valor
September 2009 Carnival Elation
Old October 26th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: A few things you should know about the Splendor - WARNIN

I don't want to go point by point, but I just got off Splendor and wanted to share my experience.

The Captains reception or whatever it was called is now more like what I understand the RCCL event to be like. There was a Farewell event as described above, but we avoided the "cram into the aft lounge for a free beverage" event.

Smoking: Yes it is becoming more restricted. This is in line with the national trend. Smoking is now not allowed on the Lido at all, the only open areas that allow smoking are the starboard sides of deck 10 (sheltered) and 11 (open). The casino and two lounges (piano and cigar bars) were the only ones to allow smoking. As a non-smoker the thing I notice is that as the areas available to smokers dwindle the intensity of the smoke in those places increases. The piano bar was almost unbearable to me.

I think the only time I spent more than $10 on a drink was in Long Beach, with tip & tax included. The specialty drinks where 7.25, and there was plenty available for less.

The spa thing is kind of annoying as they did add a cost that passengers did not have to bear previously. The "hot tub" is now the thalo-thingy, but the rest of the "thermo suite" used to be available to all.

Our stateroom steward was okay, but our dining room servers were great. I had no problems with the other crew I encountered. This was our first Mexican Riviera cruise, we changed time zones 4 times in a week. Doing that week after week has got to mess with you a little bit.

I'd peg the average age lower than IB but it might still have been on the high side of 50. I'm not a late nighter so I can't comment there. There was a lot of diversity on the cruise though. A very large number of Hispanic/Latin people, a lot of East Asians, and I was rarely in a crowd without seeing a few African American folks, but that was probably a smaller grouping than I had seen on our Caribbean cruises. For some reason there seemed to be a lot of gay men on board, not sure why I even noticed, but I did and my DW also commented on it.

Who knows why the demographics change from week to week so much.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Admiral

Bob thanks for the update. What did you think of Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. Since you were diverted from Mazaltan to Enseneda I won't ask what you thought of Enseneda. Because I know what I think of Enseneda and it's not good.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
Mouche 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) I have to smile, I agree it is generational ...I'm still trying to figure out why the statement was made in the original posting ...I have been blessed to being a world traveler since the late 70's and a cruiser since the mid 70's...when one travels and cruises to Europe on a European based cruise line...Americans (no matter what the color of one's skin is) may be viewed differently more based upon one's conduct and attitude as opposed to one's color...my most recent cruise was this past April to the South of France, on a river cruise on Princess De Provence, on Peter Deilmann (German owned)..there were 144 cruisers, of which 132 were from Germany (makes sense) and 12 Americans, my friend and I were the only guest of color and by a wide margin the youngest (both in our 50's)...were we treated differently ?..virtually all of our German co-passengers spoke various levels of English, and not one American spoke any German, so we were embraced by our co-cruisers to practice their English and there was a healthy level of curiousity to reach out to engage my friend and I, more because we were from New Orleans (and they wanted to know about Katrina and our music) and my Jazz teeshirts then the color of my skin..and why we had selected Peter Deilmann..so yes, we were treated differently (which we enjoyed)...I have cruised thru 4 decades and watched the emergence of a greater diveristy of cruising guests..if one does not make it an issue, more then likely it won't be...my brother and his wife are getting ready to go next month on the Hogs on the High Seas (HOGS) Biker Cruise...I wonder if they will be treated differently ...the diversity make up on any cruise, on any line, on any given week is a crap shoot and cruising should be about everyone getting along for a week...IMHO
Hey Venice, I'm not sure why the orginal poster posted as she did, I wondered that too, but I just had to respond to EMG's post, so you too think it generational . I just pray one day before my life ends that I get to call myself a world traveler like you!!!

Carnival Fascination March 2008
Carnival Destiny March 2009
Carnival Imagination June 2010
All Inclusive Cancun August 2010
Carnival Destiny October 2010
Carnival Fantasy May 2011
Carnival Fantasy October 2011
Carnival Fascination January 2012
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Bob thanks for the update. What did you think of Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. Since you were diverted from Mazaltan to Enseneda I won't ask what you thought of Enseneda. Because I know what I think of Enseneda and it's not good.
We didn't get to see much of either because of shore excursions. Out time in PV was trimmed from 14 to 8 hours because of the diversion. PV seemed like a beautiful city and I'd like to see more of it. We could go back to either in a heart beat.

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Captain

We are cruising on the Splendor on Nov. 29th...
Been on the Conquest a couple of times & loved it...
Can you still get hot chocalate & coffee at the back of the buffet room???
I enjoyed setting in the buffet area (off hours) on the Conquest & read & relax (well padded seats)...
Does the Splendor have the "Past Cruiser" party with the free drinks (about the only time I indulge)..
Bob & Kathy

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Bob - yes hot chocolate and coffee in the Splendido (lido buffet) The ice cream machine is also in the restaurant rather than out on deck. There was a past cruiser party, we did not attend. The DW was a little queasy, we were rocking and rolling a little bit due to hurricane Rick.

Old October 28th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Passenger

Default It's Across the Board

We hadn't sailed in about three years (owing to family needs). We then went on NCL on 9/20, RCCI on 10/4 and we're booked onto the Carnival Elation on 11/30. Our fare (pp) for a 4-day cruise (OV) is $40.00, port fees are $99.00 each plus taxes. (The fare only for balcony room if we could have gotten it was $210.00).

We noticed many, many cost-saving measures on NCL and a lot more "opportunities" to purchase things around the ship. The cost of adult beverages had increased to about $9.00 for the fun drinks. They were about a dollar less on RCCI. Especially on NCL, the crew just looked tired. I noticed that our cabin steward seemed to have more rooms and that there were fewer bar waiters. After embarkation day, I noticed fewer alcohol drinkers than I've ever seen.

The point is, at $10.00 a day per person, it's quite a deal, especially if you throw in meals (all you can eat, however simple) and entertainment. I feel as though I have to be somewhat understanding of the cruise lines' fiscal needs in this economy. I certainly hope that the cruise experience returns to its former glory in the future, but right now I'm prepared to take advantage of the lower fares and pay for the extras.

Smoking is a problem with all the lines. Celebrity has very few venues and you can't even smoke on your balcony. RCCI lets you smoke on the balcony, along with a couple of indoor and outdoor areas. NCL lets you smoke on the balcony but the only indoor area was the casino and there was no place to converse. I hope that they sort this out.

I wish the cruise experience was what it was even 10 years ago. I also wish I weighed what I did 10 years ago.
Old October 28th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Passenger

Default It's Across the Board

We hadn't sailed in about three years (owing to family needs). We then went on NCL on 9/20, RCCI on 10/4 and we're booked onto the Carnival Elation on 11/30. Our fare (pp) for a 4-day cruise (OV) is $40.00, port fees are $99.00 each plus taxes. (The fare only for balcony room if we could have gotten it was $210.00).

We noticed many, many cost-saving measures on NCL and a lot more "opportunities" to purchase things around the ship. The cost of adult beverages had increased to about $9.00 for the fun drinks. They were about a dollar less on RCCI. Especially on NCL, the crew just looked tired. I noticed that our cabin steward seemed to have more rooms and that there were fewer bar waiters. After embarkation day, I noticed fewer alcohol drinkers than I've ever seen.

The point is, at $10.00 a day per person, it's quite a deal, especially if you throw in meals (all you can eat, however simple) and entertainment. I feel as though I have to be somewhat understanding of the cruise lines' fiscal needs in this economy. I certainly hope that the cruise experience returns to its former glory in the future, but right now I'm prepared to take advantage of the lower fares and pay for the extras.

Smoking is a problem with all the lines. Celebrity has very few venues and you can't even smoke on your balcony. RCCI lets you smoke on the balcony, along with a couple of indoor and outdoor areas. NCL lets you smoke on the balcony but the only indoor area was the casino and there was no place to converse. I hope that they sort this out.

I wish the cruise experience was what it was even 10 years ago. I also wish I weighed what I did 10 years ago.
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Familiar Face

Default Relax!

Some of you have to relax when on holidays. No holiday is perfect, but as far as I am concerned, cruises are almost perfect. My wife and I will be on the Splendor on Sunday (November 1st) and it can't come fast enough! Hey, we get a break from working, cooking, washing dishes and we get some sun and warm weather with nice, different scenery each day. What else could we ask for? It has taken 51 years, but I have finally learned that life is not perfect.

Nov. 1st Splendor
2008 Destiny
2008 Liberty
2007 Conquest
2006 Valor
2005 Triumph
1983 Carnivale
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:54 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050 View Post
Katlady, I only saw Fruit Punch at the past passenger and farewell parties.
This wason the valor last week.
Argh. Fruit punch/vodka was my drink of choice last time. What juices DO they have?
Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

IB... i am sorry you had a bad cruise. For singles i know how frustrating that can be.

I realize you are also black, or mixed, or afro-American (forgive me if I dont have the right terminology). I will tell you something because I know how intelligent and introspective you are.

I took my (white) partner, who grew up and had never even been to California on a mexican Riviera Carnival Cruise. And compared to New Yorkers, the one thing she kept saying about the other passengers was "everyone's is so nice."

She was used to New Yorkers not looking other people in the eye, not making casual conversation, etc. Californians do that much more...

BUT, Californians can also be very vapid, and especially about one thing, and that is ethnicity.

One of the big differences I noticed between New York and Los Angeles (I have lived in both for almost a decade each), is that new Yorkers are not uncomfortable with the issue of race or ethnicity. They take pride in whatever they are. Think of a New Yorker, "Am I Italian? what do you think? Of course I am! I'm a third generation goombah." And they would be smiling and joking about it with you.

But a Californian would never dare ask a person "what ethnicity are you?" It is considered a rude topic to even ask. No one mentions their heritage in LA.

That is just California. They are so afraid of offending people of any ethnic background, sooo politically correct, that they were probably afraid to talk to you in fear of saying the wrong thing. I don't know, I may be crazy, but it seems to me "Angelinos" just don't mix like New Yorkers and East Coast people do. Their neighborhoods aren't as integrated, they live in cars instead of subways... you know what I mean?

Personally, I think it is sad. I wish there had been more people you could identify with on the cruise. It was also probably full of families, too, and not as many singles.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 01:38 AM
Admiral

That's funny because I have lived in California my whole life. As a hairdresser when someone had an accent I would ask them about then ask questions about their country. I think maybe cause my dad is from Portugal at came to the USA at the age of 17 that I'm not to worried. If you are polite and generally interested in what different cultures no one is offended. I did hair for 14 years, my ear for asian accents is very good now. To me a person from Vietnam sounds nothing like someone from Japan. Cultural these areas are worlds apart also. It surprises and delights people when I correctly guess there country of origin. Political correctness is drilled in our heads down here. I never want to offend someone so I'm careful about the things I say.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Katlady...

When someone has an accent, yes, but I could tell you plenty of stories about Angelinos not wanting to address the topic of enthnicity of people based in their looks or their name. I just know from experience, from having worked with a lot of people in L.A. that the typical human resources person at a company would rule that you not ask or mention it.

Meanwhile, in New York City when it comes to diversity they are much more upfront about it. You can tell just be asking what neighborhood someone lives in. I ligved in a Ukrainian/japanese neighborhood in Manhattan, but also with a row of fantastic Indian restaurants one block away. I think it is because it is a landing place for so many immigrants while Los Angeles is more of a place people move to when they want to get away from their past.

In cruising we are VERY upfront about ethnicity or nationality because we have ships where all the crew come from almost anyplace in the world, and so it is a very normal topic of conversation, Crewmembers even list their nationality on their name tags on many cruise lines.

I admit, I don't care for Los Angeles as a society very much. I never found the people there to be as up front and honest about things as I like. A New Yorker will tell you if he isn't interested or offended by something you said, but after he tells you he is done discussing it. No harm done.

In Los Angeles people will prevaricate and not say what they really think, and they will let you waste time discussing something they are not interested in or agree with and act like they agree with you. Hence if you live there you soon get paranoid about what people are really thinking, because they rarely really ever tell you.

Especially when it comes to work. An Angelino will say "oh yeah, we're on it," or "we'll talk" when they really don't mean it. It's like a guy saying "I'll call you" just to be nice.

I should say, really, that I think it is a major cultural different between the east coast and the west coast. I have found people here in Phoenix and up in Seattle to be the same way. I prefer the New York way, myself, but a lot of West Coasters find New Yorkers very brash. They are brash, but in the long run, it works out better societally, I think.

Just a theory, I think to have to live in both places for awhile to understand what I am saying.