Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
Passenger

Default Help! Disney World or Carnival Fantasy with 2 kids??

Ok so we have been booked at Disney's Ft Wilderness Lodge for the past 9 months. Now i am thinking of going on the Fantasy for August 14 out of Charleston. I have two kids ages 6 & 8. Will the girls have as good a time on the ship as they would at Disney. I am very torn on what to do and have to make a decision. I cant afford the Disney cruise so that is out. Should we go for something different and try the cruise????
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:46 PM
Passenger

i'd like to add we were at disney last summer and had such a great time decided to go back again this year
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Familiar Face

I think that would be a decision made by you and your children. Have they ever been to Disney or on a cruise. After being on 12 total cruises with family that has children of those ages, I personaly feel they would like the cruise. Carnival has activities just for children. You can go to Carnival's website and sit down with the children and show them all the different things on the Fantasy. The Fantasy does have the Evolutions upgrades now, 3 water slides, updated area around the main pool, putt putt golf, Adult Serenity area, etc. I feel the cruise would possibly be less expensive for food, entertainment, etc. Compared to disney, a cruise ship has more areas to step inside out of the heat. We are actually travelling to Charleston in October just to sail the Fantasy again. This will be our 4th cruise on the Fantasy. Oh, and the Music Highlights Band in the Cats Lounge is terriffic. Rick

Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:11 PM
Admiral

How many days at Disney? How long is the cruise on the Fantasy?
Old July 3rd, 2010, 05:24 PM
Familiar Face

They will have more fun at Disney because of their young age.

But...........they will have different fun and more of it on the cruise. The kids programs are very good on Carnival.

Since you went to Disney last year I would go on the cruise.

Ships I've Sailed:

Carnival Fascination July 6th 2009

Old July 3rd, 2010, 05:49 PM
Passenger

thanks rjlexie, im glad to see im not crazy for driving that distance im sure there are many others also. thanks for your response.

rosetattoo it would be equal at 7 nights at either disney or fantasy. Disney will include free dining which we did last year and loved it. The price for the cruise is actually just a bit cheaper (being around the same price this is what is making it so hard for me and i guess the reason why i am towards the cruise at the last minute) also figure we would be driving an extra 5 hours one way to go to Disney plus an extra nights lodging with meals.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
Admiral

I know the kids would have a lot of fun at Disney, but also can tell you that they'd have a FANTASTIC time aboard the ship. We do a family reunion cruise every year and the younger kids ALWAYS have a wonderful time. Fact is, that we have trouble getting them to leave the kids area and activities, to come to dinner every night. Also, I'd bet that YOU will have a much more relaxing time aboard ship than you would walking, and walking and walking in the hot sun.....
Bottom line is that either would be great for both you, and the kids.

"SKY"
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Tough one...the good thing about a cruise is your children will have new experiences and make new memories. I believe they will have a great time on the Fantasy. I've been taking my grandson on cruises since he was 8 years old and now that he is 19 years old, he constantly talks about the great moments that we shared on our cruises together and is still sailing with me whenever we can. Not to downplay a Disney vacation because I am a Disneyholic BUT the ticket prices have increased, food at the theme parks is always a budget buster for a family even with the dining plan, not to mention snacks, souvenirs, hotels, mouse ears, etc. It's all the ancillary expenses at Disney that can break the bank. Also, when you are at Disney, you spend exhausting days in the theme parks but don't quite experience the quality time you would have on a cruise vessel even if the girls went to Camp Carnival. I think you have to go with your gut on this one. I only live 15 minutes from the Magic Kingdom and go quite often because I have a Florida resident annual pass, however, I believe cruising is an adventure they will never forget and a great shared experience. August is very hot and humid in Orlando and makes for a tough day of trudging around the theme parks.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Beginner

DD is 7 and we have done DisneyWorld the last 3 years including a Disney Cruise (all late August). This year we are doing a cruise out of Port Canaveral (RCCL) so may or may not do Disney also - depends on the budget. Considering the ages of your kids I probably would do Disney (I am addicted though) and put the cruise on hold for maybe a year or two if they have never been on a cruise before.
Old July 4th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Passenger

thanks everyone on your opinions. i have to come to a decision within the next day or so. Makes it hard because they are both great places and according to everyone they would have a great time at both, again different experiences but fun whichever i choose. i will let you know what i decide
Old July 4th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Admiral

when you laid out the options to your children, what did they want to do ?
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger9708 View Post
Ok so we have been booked at Disney's Ft Wilderness Lodge for the past 9 months. Now i am thinking of going on the Fantasy for August 14 out of Charleston. I have two kids ages 6 & 8. Will the girls have as good a time on the ship as they would at Disney. I am very torn on what to do and have to make a decision. I cant afford the Disney cruise so that is out. Should we go for something different and try the cruise????
You asked for opinions so here mine is. Your children will enjoy Disney (even though they went last year) at a wonderful child like level at this age. I am sure you saw this last year in them. Cruising is fun at all ages, but something that they may enjoy a little more in 2 or so years. You also have the free dining at Disney which makes it so much more affordable. I would go to Disney this year and look at a cruise in 2 or so years. Unless you could somehow squeeze a quick 3 or 4 night Disney cruise in. I haven't been yet, but would love to take my little on on a Disney cruise!

As an FYI ... last year my wife and I took a quick CHEAP 3 night cruise to have time as a couple and we took the little one to Disney for a week. If you can afford this that would be my real opinion!

Please let us know what you decided and why. Thanks!

Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas 12/4/2009 Bahamas
Carnival Valor 3/9/2008 Eastern Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas 6/24/2006 Western Mediterranean
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas 5/29/2006
Carnival Conquest 6/20/2004 Western Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas 12/20/2002 Bahamas
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Just my 2 cents......since they have been Disney, mix it up with a cruise. They will enjoy it, and, it is a different experience,one worth trying....on the cruise, with the kids program, you could also have alone time, while the kids are well supervised...whatever you decide..have a ball!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator