Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Beginner

Default Weather on the Panama Canal cruise

I am going on a cruise with my husband in April to the Panama Canal on Celebrity-Galaxy. Can anyone tell me what to expect for weather so that I can plan my wardrobe? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Admiral

treasuresbyj,

I am going on a cruise with my husband in April to the Panama Canal on Celebrity-Galaxy. Can anyone tell me what to expect for weather so that I can plan my wardrobe?

The first day at sea and the last day at sea may be on the cool side -- perhaps a bit too cool for sunbathing. You'll be in the tropics the rest of the time, so you should plan for summer-like weather. Of course, you may want a sweater, a shawl, or a dressy jacket in the ship's air conditioned rooms.

Norm.
Old February 26th, 2006, 06:31 PM
First Mate

we went in March last yr on Brilliance (RT from Miami) Weather was perfect in every port. Panama itself was very very hot--if you go on excursions wear a hat, visor, sunscreen...Our other ports were Aruba (beach day) ,Costa Rica (bug spray is helpful for nature excursions--also hot) , Gr Cayman(snorkel day) ....Spent many days on deck sunning--always need a sweater or shawl indoors due to A/C
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:31 AM
First Mate

Default April

Are you are on the Galaxy? Which sailing?
The weather is right on the edge. Expect very humid weather as the ship moves south. But, note, April is on the edge of the rainy season and you could find wet weather...last year (in April) we got lucky and had
perfect weather...hoping the same holds for our Galaxy, April 13th departure.
Old March 15th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Beginner

we will be cruiseing panama canal in april does anyone know what the seas are like that time of year
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Beginner

i just came off a six month panama canal run (as staff member).

the seas are pretty calm, with the exception of the first and last sea days, and entering and exiting the panama canal at night (they had to cancel a show in the theatre once due to the motion, as the dancers were falling everywhere).

the climate in galveston is hit or miss. some days it is warm and sunny, others its not so welcoming. but after that, it's basically just hot. from cozumel to jamaica it was beautiful all season (only a few days of rain).

some things to bring: bug spray and maybe a plastic poncho if you plan on doing any excursions in costa rica (the jungles can get wet sometimes, and the bugs might be a discomfort if you arent prepared). if you want to do the "dunn's river falls" excursion in jamaica (highly recommended), bring some footwear suitable for water. and a hat that will provide good shade, as the sun can be intense in the caymans and jamaica. be sure to bring some bottled water out with you for your tour excursions as well, as in these ports, it's less available than most, and tends to be overpriced.

also, if going out in cozumel, plan your day accordingly so that you don't have to wait in the long tender lines. the local tenders were not in operaion during the last few cruises, leaving the ship to use their own. this resulted in very long waits towards the end of the day (and the ship having to sail late). most passengers seemed to wait till the last possible minute to get back to the ship, and were stuck waiting in line (the ship tenders have a 150 person capacity, and it's a ten minute trip by the time you get on the ship).

if you have any other questions, i'd be glad to help
Old March 19th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Beginner

Default Panama Canal weather

Thanks to all who took the time to reply to my request. I am really getting excited to take part in this adventure!!
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:57 PM
Passenger

Just returned from a Panama Canal cruise on the Summit. The weather was perfect and HOT. In the 90's in Aruba, Costa Rica and Panama. The seas were very calm, but if you were going to do a full transit and then go on to Los Angeles, I would warn you of the very rough seas for the last two days of the cruise. But, I think the Galaxy only does a pass through the canal and then returns to the Caribbean.

Bring clothes for very HOT and HUMID weather.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:56 PM
Passenger

Just returned home on Monday night from Galaxy and the weather was great. Rough seas and windy the first couple days out of Galveston, but still really warm. Have fun, it was a great trip. You will only need summer clothes.
Marilyn
Old March 26th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Passenger

Hi,

I've done several Panama Canal cruises all in April different years.

The weather was very warm and hot. Mostly dry except for some occasional Caribbean rain that lasted 10 minutes. Then it dried up and you never knew it rained.

Pack plenty of sunscreen for when you are on deck watching the ship do the Canal.

I recommend watching some of it on deck and the rest from inside with the air conditioning.

Definitely pack walking shoes, shorts or skorts for the deck or ports and plenty of short sleeve tops.

Formal nights are formal attire if you are eating in the dining room. Celebrity enforces this policy. You can go more casual if you eat at the alternative restaurants.

Pack plenty of film. There is lots to see on this itinerary.

Please write me if you have any additional questions.

Have a great and memorable time,

Nancy
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Passenger

What is the weather in the Canal in October? I am on the October 8 Infinity cruise. Thanks!!!
Old March 29th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Shorebrook,

What is the weather in the Canal in October? I am on the October 8 Infinity cruise. Thanks!!!

It's in the tropics but it cuts through the mountains (hence the need for locks), so the weather will be pretty warm but probably not oppressive.

JTOL, the region is a tropical rain forest but I have not encountered rain there -- but perhaps others have?

Norm.
Old March 30th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

The Panama canal is in the tropics so... HOT !
We were there in February and had to shed some clothes. In Costa Rica it was cooler, but not sweater weather.
The only time I wore sweaters was on the ship in the lounges,the large meeting rooms, and in the dining room.
Bon Voyage
Old May 14th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Beginner

Taking a full transit through the canal in November from west coast to east. I'm thinking that the weather may be a little cool and water rough from LA to the first port in Mexico and then smooth, sunny sailing after that. Can anyone that has done this itinerary confirm my assumptions?
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Admiral

HockeyFan,

Taking a full transit through the canal in November from west coast to east. I'm thinking that the weather may be a little cool and water rough from LA to the first port in Mexico and then smooth, sunny sailing after that. Can anyone that has done this itinerary confirm my assumptions?

In my experience (about a dozen transits through that area, mostly at that time of year), cool weather is normal on the first day into or out of either Los Angeles or San Diego so bring a light jacket or a sweater to wear if you go out on deck. There may be some swells, but nothing that I would regard as rough.

Then again, my idea of "rough" is 30' seas with 10' to 12' waves rolling down the whole length of the flight deck. Your mileage may vary....

Norm.
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Default NORM!

In my experience (about a dozen transits through that area, mostly at that time of year), cool weather is normal on the first day into or out of either Los Angeles or San Diego so bring a light jacket or a sweater to wear if you go out on deck. There may be some swells, but nothing that I would regard as rough.

Then again, my idea of "rough" is 30' seas with 10' to 12' waves rolling down the whole length of the flight deck. Your mileage may vary....

Norm.[/quote]

We're booked from Ft. Lauderdale to L.A. Panama Canal in December...(on the Summit!) what can we expect weather wise??????
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:03 PM
First Mate

And when folks says hot, it is hotter in Panama than any place we have ever been--even hotter than Mexico. Also if your hair is an issue don't expect much in the humidity! We brought our ponchos & bug spray but did not need either in March 05. have a great time..
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Admiral

fieldmouse,

We're booked from Ft. Lauderdale to L.A. Panama Canal in December...(on the Summit!) what can we expect weather wise??????

It should be pleasant. In seesence, you have a seven-night Caribbean cruise and a seven-night Mexican Riveiera cruise joined by the transit through "the ditch" on Day Eight. You'll be in the tropics except on the last day at sea (in transit from Cabo San Lucas to Los Angeles) when the weather probably will be noticeably cooler. You should have ideal beach westher in all of your ports of call.

Norm.