Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Celebrity or Royal Caribbean for Young Couple Cruising?

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are looking to take our first cruise together this winter. We are looking at 7-day cruises to the Caribbean, probably in January or February. We have narrowed our options down to the Celebrity Solstice or Royal Caribbean's Oasis, Allure, or Navigator.

I know that Celebrity is more of a "premier" line, which appeals to us because we are looking for something slightly more upscale and elegant than your standard Carnival cruise. I have been on Carnival cruises with my family and enjoyed them---but I am just looking for something a little "nicer" for the trip with my boyfriend.

However, as we are in our mid-20's we would also like to socialize with others our own age. We have fun meeting other couples and would like to find some night life on the ship- which seems like it might be more abundant on a Royal Caribbean cruise.

Does anyone have any insight into which might be a better fit for us? Will a 7-night Celebrity cruise in the Jan/Feb season have some other young couples or is it likely to be an older crowd?
Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2011, 02:23 PM
First Mate

We sailed on the Sostice in Jan and I would say that this would be your choice for a more elegant line however in defense RCL they do have more of a varied age group and appear to be more family oriented Both will be good choices and you will have a nice comparison to Carnival Have always been of the opinion you should try many different lines and that way you can make a good comparison. Am making this statement with 60 plus cruisers on all of the main lines.
Old September 25th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

You are the target audience Celebrity wants, so, the Solsitice would be a great choice. We sailed the Eclipse last fall and it was to die for.Like a 5 star hotel. If you are interested in a livlier atmosphere, the Allure/Oasis, with it's nod to sporty activities, keeping you busier, may be more to your liking...Each would give you a great cruise experience.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 25th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Though I like Celebrity, it's better for middle age and on. There may be some your age, but the rest of the time you'll be someone's "daughter" or
granddaughter If laid back is your thing, this is your line. My vote would be Oasis if those are your choices. If you choose a Carnival ship, a week long cruise will be nice. Explore various itineraries on various ships and find one that's interesting to you, and then make a choice. Don't make your choice based on ship alone. Some nice ships have poor itineraries.
Old September 25th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Given your ages... I do not think Celebrity is the right fit unless you want to be around a 40ish+ crowd...... I would suggest that RCI is more in line with your age demographic and perhaps lifestyle

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old September 26th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Familiar Face

May I suggest you read both cruise lines reviews on this web site then I would compare both cruise line on-board activities.

Both cruise lines are excellent.
Old September 27th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Admiral

20sCruising,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Hello!

My boyfriend and I are looking to take our first cruise together this winter. We are looking at 7-day cruises to the Caribbean, probably in January or February. We have narrowed our options down to the Celebrity Solstice or Royal Caribbean's Oasis, Allure, or Navigator.

I know that Celebrity is more of a "premier" line, which appeals to us because we are looking for something slightly more upscale and elegant than your standard Carnival cruise. I have been on Carnival cruises with my family and enjoyed them---but I am just looking for something a little "nicer" for the trip with my boyfriend.

However, as we are in our mid-20's we would also like to socialize with others our own age. We have fun meeting other couples and would like to find some night life on the ship- which seems like it might be more abundant on a Royal Caribbean cruise.

Does anyone have any insight into which might be a better fit for us? Will a 7-night Celebrity cruise in the Jan/Feb season have some other young couples or is it likely to be an older crowd?
I really don't see age as a factor. The median age may be a few years older on Celebrity than on Royal Caribbean, but both lines draw a very wide spectrum of ages. Even if only five percent of the passengers are "twenty-something" adults, that still adds up to over one hundred passengers in your age bracket.

The more important question is one of personal style and tastes. If Celebrity's "premium" style and "formal" evenings that really are quite dressy appeals to you, go with it. If you prefer a more casual style and the shipboard activities that Royal Caribbean offers (rock climbing wall, skating rink, etc.), that should be the decisive factor.

Norm.
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Familiar Face

I think in my own words I have Traveled Carnival and it's more younger generation 30's something...Look into the Dream Thats My Favorite ship...Going again in 2012 to the eastern Carribbean which is also my favorite Nassua, St Thomas, St maartin, My 3 favorite ports.........They are very Beautiful ports and soooooo much shopping for the both of you......Going in January/February you'll be missing all the spring Breakers, " I Think " Well Good luck on your Choice.......Happy Cruising!!!!!!!!
Old September 28th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
20sCruising,

I really don't see age as a factor. The median age may be a few years older on Celebrity than on Royal Caribbean, but both lines draw a very wide spectrum of ages. Even if only five percent of the passengers are "twenty-something" adults, that still adds up to over one hundred passengers in your age bracket.

The more important question is one of personal style and tastes. If Celebrity's "premium" style and "formal" evenings that really are quite dressy appeals to you, go with it. If you prefer a more casual style and the shipboard activities that Royal Caribbean offers (rock climbing wall, skating rink, etc.), that should be the decisive factor.

Norm.

Isn't the average age on Celebrity 35? If this couple prefers adults and few children-Celebrity is for them-if they want more activities then RCI is for them. RCI has a lot of activities as families with kids need this.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014