Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old July 29th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Default Poll: What Would You Give Up To Save Money For A Cruise?

OK, suppose you smoked two packs of cigarettes a day and lived in New York. If you gave up smoking and had to pay about $50 a carton (not sure of the cost), in three months you would have saved $1000. That's enough for some kind of a cruise.

Maybe if you spend $50 or more eating out, if you ate out one time less each week, in a year's time you would have saved over $2500. What kind of cruise would that get you?

If you are a moviegoer and you gave up one movie a week, with ticket, popcorn and drink, you would be saving at least $15 for one person. That's close to $800 a year.
Costs for sporting events and concerts would be even higher.

What can I save? Sometimes one trip to the dentist costs me almost a whole cruise. Which is better, no ship or no teeth? Guess I'll have to give up the cruise.?

Now, Peggy is interested in new tile in the kitchen, new carpets and having our two story house repainted. How many cruises will that be? Whoa is me!!
Old July 29th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)
Default Re: Poll: What Would You Give Up To Save Money For A Cruise

I am worried about that new boat Bill wants to buy......I see it as a lot of "cruise ship" cruises going by the wayside. Bill sees it as taking more "short cruises".

Old July 29th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Oh Denise, I'll be waiting for my 'cruise' on the new boat and I'll bring the drinks !

As for as giving anything up? 'giving something up' is a new concept to me?
Old July 29th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Now you've got me thinking, Paul. That's dangerous...lol. Maybe I could cut back on cigs at least for $1000 a year, save $20 a week by not eating out so another $1000 per year, cut Carol's shopping wayyyyyyyy back.......PRICELESS <VBG> Presto!!! We've got a cruise!
Old July 29th, 2002, 01:18 PM
First Mate

we have given up going out to eat as much, got rid of cable, and if the cruise was something I really wanted to do, with a suite, I think I would seriously consider giving up the internet for six months or so, don't think I would make it a year though. But don't ask me to give up my phone!
Old July 29th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Poll: What Would You Give Up To Save Money For A Cr

Don't give up anything.......get a little part-time job a few hours a week and call it your "cruise job" and every penny you earn there goes toward cruises!
No matter how terrible the job was it would be bearable just knowing why you're there!!!
Old July 29th, 2002, 05:21 PM
First Mate

Last year I gave up a new fireplace in the basement and took a family cruise instead. We did put a new "furnace fireplace" in the living room. It's wonderful! Since we don't watch much T.V., I decided I could cuddle up in blankets a couple hours/ week instead of needing a second fireplace. That's what I gave up.... no great loss... it's quieter in the living room anyway... more time to read!

Old July 29th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I give up my land vacations for cruises. That's enough of a sacrifice. <VBG>

Old July 29th, 2002, 10:28 PM
First Mate

I'm trying to sell one of my kids. No luck so far.
Old July 29th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

My husband gave up a lift kit for his 4 wheel drive truck (his pride and joy). I gave up shopping sprees. It was a bit of a sacrifice on both our parts, but well worth it. He still whines about the truck but this to will pass ...
Stephanie
Old July 30th, 2002, 12:06 AM
Passenger

Giving up is not my forte - guess I'm spoiled. I like to create 'new' money for cruises. I'm a CPA in private practice - the way I think of it is .. how many more tax returns do I have to do or what will a new project pay for. This year I gave up some of my free time that I usually have after April 15 - actually worked through June. Cruising is my reward!

Happy sails.
Sherie
Old July 30th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

John, let me know a good weekend for you! We pick her up on Wednesday afternoon!

Old July 30th, 2002, 11:57 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Poll: What Would You Give Up To Save Money For A Cr

I gave up going to the beauty shop and fixing my own hair instead--I don't go to movies and cut down on magazine subscriptions--BUT I still like to dine out and enjoy a glass--or two of wine--can't get too carried away--RIGHT???? any more suggestions??
Old July 31st, 2002, 04:29 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne

When we decided to build our house, we cut out pretty much everything that was considered a "luxury": dining out, movies, Saturday shopping trips, cut our grocery bill down by a third, got rid of both gas guzzling cars for two with great gas mileage and cut down about half of the amount on summer annuals (not that much was saved but our water bill went down drastically!) Now that the house is 98% ready, we have a good amount left over every single month. Rather than getting back into the old spending patterns, we put the money away. We do now make sure we go out to dinner every other week as we have found that helps save our sanity.

We´ve also saved up dh´s vacation pay for the last three years. Never touched it because we thought if an emergency came up, we would have something to fall back on. Then we thought it would be nice to use it for my parents´ 40th anniversary. Now what ever is left over at the end of the month also gets dumped in there. I never thought we would have the control NOT to touch it and am really glad we never did. Otherwise no cruise, which would mean I would have never had the chance to e-meet you all!

suzanne, who is still working on dh to quit smoking. At 3.50$ a pack, a pack a day that would be a savings of 1275,50$ a year!
Old July 31st, 2002, 10:16 AM
phillychick

I'm TRYING to quit smoking cigarettes. My family and I just recently returned from our first cruise together and we are HOOKED!! Although I have another one booked on the Fantasy for Jan 2003, my aim is for one of the best balcony cabins on Carnival's Pride. Wish me luck!!!
phillychick
Old July 31st, 2002, 02:35 PM
Happy Camper

We are pretty thrifty and love to cruise so we did give up smoking about 4 years ago as soon as the price went up. We do not eat out a lot and if we do we drink at home and share one plate - keeps our weight and our bill down! Not much on ordering pizza and we do not have cable. Kept the smaller house and older cars - finally gave up my 11 year old car but got a used one so that really helped in price. We did break down this year and bought an RV and a new used truck to pull it. My hubby's other truck was 9 years old so we would have traded it in anyway. The RV was 1 year old and "used" so got a good deal but we are having a blast. I think it is good to save for a while but you stil have to live some too. Debbie