Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2003, 12:34 PM
First Mate

Default Anyone been to Labadee?

Anyone been to Labadee?
Tell me all about it if you could.
Thanks
Mary Margaret
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Anyone been to Labadee?

Hi Mary,
Yep, been to Labadee and its a wonderful beach day, lots to do or nothing if you want. They provide a decent BBQ lunch in 3 different locations. Just a tip, if you want a water mat, reservie it using your cabin TV before you get there, they have tons, but they usually are all rented by the time you get there, they are great for relaxing in the water. You can snorkel, parasail and we did the wave runner tour, that was a gas. They also run Banana boats all day long too, so enjoy your day at the beach.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 20th, 2003, 07:42 PM
First Mate

Thanks Donna I appreciate the good advice.
Mary Margaret
Old April 21st, 2003, 08:42 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Anyone been to Labadee?

Mary, Donna's advice was right on! We were there with the Explorer in Jan. '02. It was our first cruise (E. Carib) and we had a great time. All the stops were great, but Labadee was our favorite. We were there from 9:30 till we had to drag ourselves away at 4:15. Since then the Labadee stop has been changed to Explorer's w. Carib cruise and we went on that this past Jan. Unfortunately, it rained (and I mean POURED )all day. We had decided to get on the tender at 11 AM even though the sky was still dark, but wasn'r raining yet. YIKES! The minute we pulled away from the ship the skies opened up. We wisely had seats down below under cover (actually all the upper deck seats were taken,lol), so we stayed relatively dry, but at least half the passengers got off anyway and passed the ones who had been there and were rushing back to the tender. We stayed put and went back to the ship. We hoped it would clear up later--no luck. I'm doubly glad we had the nice day last year.
Don't worry about being harrassed by the locals. The only time you will really come into contact is at the markets. There are bargains to be had, but you run the gauntlet of aggressive sellers.
We enjoyed taking the free tram on an island tour. The sun was warm, the food was good, waiters sell Labadoozies to you at your beach lounger, a calypso band played all day, the restrooms are clean and attended and there are security guards around to make you feel safe. Hope you have good weather!
Old April 21st, 2003, 08:23 PM
oceanblue

Thanks Donna and Kathie for the info. My husband and I will be going to Labadee on the Voyager in a few weeks :-). Donna - I'm not sure I know what a banana boat is?.....a kayak? Do you know how much it costs to use them?
Old April 21st, 2003, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Anyone been to Labadee?

Hi Oceanblue,
The banana boats are actually this huge, yellow, long (banana looking) intertube that they pull with a speed boat. May-be 10/12 people straddle it and hold on, very bumpy fun ride, not sure of the cost, but its inexpensive for a ride and they run that all day long at Labadee, kids especially love it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 22nd, 2003, 09:26 AM
Admiral

If you have Quicktime you can watch a video about the Banana Boats here. Check it out even if you don't have Quicktime installed, you can see the picture of the Banana Boat.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Carnival Fantasy

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old April 22nd, 2003, 01:38 PM
First Mate

If you don't already have your documents with a list of excursion prices and info, you can check it out on RCI's website.
Old April 24th, 2003, 05:41 PM
cruzincat

We spent a lot of the day viewing the ruins of the old pirate buildings and photographing the wonderful views from the top of the trail near the old bell tower.
Be sure to get apicture of you and or your group with the waiter in a tuxedo serving champaign to you out in the water. Its great stuff!!

cruzincat