Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old October 26th, 2004, 02:28 AM
Admiral

Default Newspaper Story Afterthought

I just finished reading the "section" (three short articles) devoted to cruising in our local newspaper (thanks to Rollerdonna's head's-up) and being the Cynic I am, I have a gripe....

The stories seem to be written by (yet another) wet-behind-the-ears cub reporter on their very first cruise. Why have all these reporters never cruised before, and, more importantly, why do they assume everyone reading the article has never cruised before as well???

I, for one, would like a more in-depth article once in a ways, by a reporter with a little bit of prior experience. I have read at least 10 different pieces now, all commenting in various comical styles on how much food is available, and how we have to beware that "tipping, beverages, & excursions are extra" etc. etc.

We know, already. So do a lot of people. Cruising is not a "secret". Millions cruise every year, on literally hundreds of ships. Get off your lazy butts and do a proper story, with a little effort behind the research. There are different ships for different tastes... help your readers to choose wisely. The reporter was probably too busy eating and drinking to find their work ethic. The obnoxious part of all that, to me, is the writer collected a salary for that piece of crapola, and cruised for free.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example Story:

How to be seaworthy: tips for smooth sailing on a cruise
Beware the motion of the ocean and the length of the buffet bars

http://www.canada.com/montreal/montr...9-cb4a8913e12f

***Moderator Note: Edited to removed copyrighted material: Link substituted for access to the article.

Post Edited (10-26-04 02:39)

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old October 26th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Newspaper Story Afterthought

I'd have to agree with you there Cynic, but I think the point of these type of articles, is to encourage new people to try cruising. We "old-timers" can read more interesting and applicable articles here on CruiseMates.
That being said, wasn't it nice still to see a big photo of a cruise-ship in the Gazette on a cold Oct. morning? No? Too depressing you say? I'll have to agree with you again!

donna

Old October 26th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Admiral

Uh.............are you allowed to post copyrighted material on these boards? Just asking.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 26th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Cynic:
I somewhat agree with you but you are speaking to the choir and they are speaking to the masses. Less than 12% of the general population have ever taken a cruise. I don't know how many of that 12% have taken multiple cruises but I would guess it would be close to 1/3.

It does always seem that the writer gets on the "Rock and Roll" cruise. I've been on 15 cruises so far, a relative neophyte around here, but I have yet to have the rolling seas, make you sick, type of water. We did have 18 foot swells, north of Cuba, on Norwegian Sky but it sure didn't bother Betty or me. Betty is the one prone to motion sickness.

The cruise line PR machine must be doing something right. Demand is keeping up with the aggressive new-build schedule and the prices are back up to pre-9/11 levels.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 26th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Passenger

I enjoyed reading the article because I am a newbie at cruising. I will take my first on November 1 on the Monarch of the Seas in 6 days. There are a few of us out there that have not had the the funds or time to cruise up till now. So any article or chat that can help us is appreciated. So don't get upset, just keep on writing.
Thanks, Jan

Old October 26th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Admiral

(Moderator: Can I post copyrighted material for information purposes if I credit the source?)

Oh come on now!!! Am I the only one who thinks that is the worst article on cruising EVER???

They can easily do an article with information both for newbies and veterans. I just think the "endless buffet" jokes are wearing a bit thin now, having read them ad nauseum. I just think a little more effort would be in order, after all the writer spent DAYS at sea. You can glean everything they said from a cruise brochure, without ever setting foot on an actual ship.

Some suggestions: Interview the Captain or Cruise Director
List interesting/unusual itineraries & destinations
State what sets each cruise line/ship apart from the others
Children's programs??? Nothing said.
Which line is best for your age and demographic?
Describe how cruising has changed over the past 10 years
What do the newest ships have to offer?
Which cabin is best for whom?
How is cruising different from a land vacation?

As well, in a "section" of the newspaper devoted to cruising, there was precious little actually offered; the story linked above, a badly-researched piece on how to save money (essentially book early), and a story on a Hawaiian Islands cruise. That's it from the so-called professional travel writers.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old October 26th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Cynic:
Copyrighted material can't be published even if credited. That is why it is copyrighted. A fee is usually required if it published in other publications. Cruisemates is an online cruise magazine. Some publications don't care and others REALLY care. We don't allow others to do it to us so we don't allow it; no matter what the source.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me