Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Diana H

Default Trains from London to Southampton England

I am looking for information on how to take the train from London to Southamton, England to get on our cruise ship in May of 2005. I am looking for links and how does one check in luggage on a train? Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Diana
Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Trains from London to Southampton England

If you go to http://www.britrail.com/index_us.html you can get information about schedules. The ticket prices are for Britrail passes, which are very economical if you're traveling around Britain, but if you're just going from London to Southampton (and back) it probably won't be a good deal. You'll probably just have to show up at the train station and purchase a ticket.

There's a book called Britain by Britrail that may be worth flipping through at a bookstore to find info about that particular journey.

I've ridden the trains in Britain many, many times, and there isn't anywhere to check your luggage. You have to carry it into the train car and then place it on or under a luggage rack (or on a rack above the seats.) I've done it with suitcases both light and heavy - just be sure you can maneuver your suitcase up and down three steps or so (to get on and off the train.)

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old January 5th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

there is a very simple answer about travelling in britain by train, DONT! The train service is absolute garbage! I should know, I live over here and would never travel by train. Who are you sailing with? If it is cunard then they have what is called cruise connect, it is a coach service from london (usually heathrow airport) to the dock. See if your cruiseline has something the same.
hope this helps
lexx

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Lexx, You have not seen the American train system called Amtrak. British Rail is amazing wonderful in comparison. <G> We took the train to Harwich from Liverpool station in London and not only was is less than half the cruisline transfer, it was half the time and certainly more comfortable.
Jim

Old January 7th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Trains from London to Southampton England

I agree with Jim! I love British Rail! I wouldn't travel Amtrack if you paid me. It all depends on your perspective!

Cheers,
Michelle P.