Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old July 26th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Favorite Song or Group

Okay, let's try this one. I'll go first. I remember my mom telling my aunt that I was listening to Devil worshipers music. It was a Black Sabbath album. I promised myself, when I had kids, i would never loose touch with the music trend, and that is one promise i have kept. On the CD thingy is Bon Jovi, Arrowsmith,Garth Brooks, Reba,Journey, and my new one, Bread. Those of you 50ish, do you remember them.
I played it for the first time today, and had memories of a little blue Camero, Bread on the 8 track, and the perfect place to .....well you know. lol I also have other tapes, my albums are still in the attic, and I have a few modern ones. Music has been very important to me. It got me through a lot of hard times, and attach many memories..

Now your turn......................I'm going to sit here and think of what happened in that Camero.lol

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 26th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Favorite Song or Group

See my signature? Yup, that's me, the world's biggest Bee Gee fan! They have been my favourite since I first heard "Words" in Gr. 7, and it is still my all time favourite song.
I also like anything or anybody else who harmonizes: Simon & Garfunkel, the Beach Boys, the Beatles, the Everly Brothers, and I'm also a big fan of the "Do-Wop" era.
I tried to keep an open mind about the music my kids listened to, but I draw the line at Rap. Sorry, that's not music.

donna

Old July 26th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I was a Motown Baby..in high school, that was THE music..I saw the Supremes once,and screamed my lungs out. I also saw one of the woman from a girls group on a ship..she was doing a solo, and she the brought down the house!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 26th, 2005, 09:04 PM
venice

I was born in 1951 and because I grew up in upstate New York, I actually went to Woodstock and stood next to Sly Stone while we were both "watering a tree". . I love all music from the 60's, anything Motown, the British invasion (my all time favorite movie is the T.A.M.I. Show), and I loved the Young Rascal, The Kinks, The Animals..but I am also a huge smooth jazz fan as my Dad was a jazz guitarist..My entire teen love life is connected to an $29.95 Radio Shack- 8 track tape that I installed in my 1959 vw beetle with a hole in the floor board and no back seat.. (whenever I hear a Drifters song, I remember my first "love"..) Life is now much better now, I have a 2004 turbo vw beetle with a rather expensive cd sound system that I listen to all my 60's music on

the joy of living in new orleans is that every year there is jazz fest and the essence festival so I get to hear great music featuring groups from the 60's . My home is decorated with album covers on my wall and my son keeps asking me why don't I put my album collection (over 1000) on sale on e-bay. I am planning to go on my first smooth jazz cruise in November with Dave Koz out of San Diego on HAL Zuiderdam

Like Luanne, music has been the saving grace in my life and has gotten me thru tough times
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Lynne &Trevor

I have to admit that I have the "oldies but goodies" station on in my car. And, I remember and can sing along with most of the songs. The words were good, the songs had a good beat and you could dance to them! In my early years,my favorites were Ricky Nelson, Pat Boone, Fabian, Frankie Avalon, Dion and the Belmonts,etc.= The Philadelphia Invasion. When I was in 5th grade I went home and watched American Bandstand everyday. The year I started college,the British Invasion had begun. Also, I won't forget Elvis-from the beginning!
My brother is 16 years younger than me, and he discovered the Beatles all over again, and the rock group, KISS. My elder son is 7 years younger than my brother and had been introduced to KiSS by his uncle, so they have been like a member of our family since the beginning. I like the early Bon Jovi, Queen, Aerosmith. My son introduced me to lots of "new" music as he was growing up, and would make tapes for me. His favorite game was to have me "name that tune" in 5 notes!! (Red Hot Chili Peppers, InEXcess, Violent Femmes, to name a few groups.) I have tried to keep up with some of the current music, but frankly, I can't remember the lyrics or the names of the groups-except for Soundgarden, Goo Goo Dolls--which are now "old".

Like Venice, my step-father is a musician. We had Dizzy Gillespie, Stan Kenton, Thelonius Monk, Dave Brubeck, Sarah Vaughn, JP Morgan, Charlie Parker, Errol Garner in our house and I learned to appreciate them, along with Ole Blue Eyes, Andy Williams, John Gary and others.

I've seen Neil Sedaka in concert, Andy Williams--back in the 1970's. My favorite for the last several years has been Barry Manilow. I like just about any kind of music except for the hip hop and rap.
Lynne PS. I introduced my son to a lot of "older" music when he started as a DJ at the American Legion. He learned to appreciate Big Band music, Doris Day, etc. After he won them over, they started asking for requests--the Platters, Motown, Country etc!

Old July 26th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Luanne,
I just looked at my CD carousel and in it is:

Bruce Springsteen: The Ghost of Tom Joad
Dean Martin: That's Amore
Ozzy Osbourne: Bark at the Moon
Johnny Cash: Bitter Tears
Wallflowers: Rebel, Sweetheart
Bruce Springsteen: Greetings from Asbury Park.

That's a bit eclectic but I listen to everything from old country to hard rock. I will give just about any music a listen. There is "crap" in almost all forms and good music in almost all forms but I have a hard time listening to Rap or most contemporary country music radio for an extended period of time. I have hundreds of CDs. I am also lucky enough to have the equipment and know how to be able to transfer a lot of my vinyl and tapes to CD.

The only thing my parents ever told me to turn down was the bass. <VBG>

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:34 PM
CruisinK&J

I have tons of records, CD's, and cassettes, and a lot of my old faves won't be on this list, because it would get just too long:

BG's
Beach Boys
Beatles
Dave Brubeck

I can't leave out these, because their music meant a lot:

Frank Sinatra
Barbra Streisand
Sarah Vaughn
Ella Fitzgerald
Charlie Bryd
Stan Getz

Judy
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

This is fun. Lets keep it going. There are many of you out there who need to respond. If you are a newbie, let us know what you like too. As I read some of yours, I have memories of those times too.

Remember, Politices and war can seperate us, music brings us together.

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Admiral

I love MOST all kinds of music... MOST !! I can sing along to Country, Rock, Metal, Rap, Motown... just depends on the day !

Some of my FAVES are: George Strait, Garth, Cher, Abba, Def L:eppard, Bon Jovi, Judas Priest, SPandau Ballet, Wham... on and on !! Its a crazy blend !!

My most favorite song : TRUE by Spandau Ballet
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Passenger

I love listening to big band music..I always say I was born in the wrong era...would have loved to seen Glenn Miller and his Orchestra...Ole blue eyes..bobby darrin..buddy holly...the music nowadays cant hold a candle to the music of yesteryear !!!! but thats just my opinion lol...
Old July 26th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Emptynesters

There are so many to choose from but on the way home from work "Baby I Love Your Way" By Peter Framptom came on........oooooo that takes me back to some good memories.

*Deb
Old July 26th, 2005, 11:27 PM
First Mate

My favourite song of all time is Locomotion by Little Eva, that song just gets me dancin no matter what.
Rollerdonna......I happen to agree about Rap and the "newer" music nowadays, if I can't tell what they are singing(?) I don't want to hear it!

I also love the Beachboys, Beatles, Dave Clark 5, The Animals, and Chicago. I could go on and on, pretty well anything from the 60's. Our son who is 21, loves the Oldies too, he was raised on them.
When we drive down from Ontario for our cruise, we always pack up all of our CD's with the oldies on it, and my sister(REBEL on here) and her hubby and my hubby all sing along...makes the trip go faster.

Comet Cruiser

Old July 27th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Admiral

Ooops, how could I forget to mention my new fave: Jimmy Buffett!!
And come to think of it, another old fave, Chris de Burgh, who for some strange reason is REALLY big here in Montreal, but not so well known in the US. I have tickets for his upcoming concert here in Montreal - it will be about the 5th or 6th time I've seen him live!

donna (who also happens to like the song "Oh Donna" by Richie Valens!)

Old July 27th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Any music or group from the 50's and 60's is a favorite of mine. Cant forget Jimmy Buffett, I love everything he sings. My favorite of his is "Delaney Talks To Statues" grew up listening to the big band sounds especially love Glen Miller. Every time I hear "In the Mood" I see my Mother tapping her foot to the music. I worked for 2 summers at a concert venue here in NH. It was a fun part time job. My favorite concert was the Beach Boys. Least favorites were Eminem and Sammy Hagar. Both of those concerts were not much more than loud noise interspersed with the F*** word. Not at all entertaining. They had Neil Sedaka one week and that was wonderful concert. The Moody Blues were a great group from the 60's. Listening to their ""Knights in White Satin" on a warm summer night in NH was nice. New favorites are Yanni, I really enjoy his music. Of course anything from Sinatra is a favorite. No one could sing like he could. No rap, loud rock or hip hop for Me. give me the oldies.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 27th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Admiral

This s a great thread. I enjoy too many artists to mention. But, I did want to say that music certainly can take you back to a specific time in your life. It is almost like certain scents.....they throw you back to the past in a heartbeart!

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old July 27th, 2005, 07:49 AM
VTJen

There is not too much that I don't like - tho' rap and hip hop are my leasst favorites. In my car I always have ABBA and Cher in the cdplayer. I mostly listen to Christian Contemporary at work (a Church). My son likes Pearl Jam - and that type, my daughter's tastes are very broad from Britney Spears (yuck) to Classical and Opera.
So basically we listen to it all.

VTJen
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Admiral

it all started with The Monkees and David Cassidy for me. A lot of what i listen to depends upon the mood that i am in. I appreciate quality vocals and good lyrics - Barbra, Celine, Michael Bolton. I am a Manilow fan and also like Neil Diamond.
I like some county - Trace, Shania,Garth and Trishia. If i want to listen to instrumental its usually David Sanborn or Kenny G
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to BrendaS Send a message via Yahoo to BrendaS

My tastes are so varied it would be easier to list what I DON'T like because it would be a shorter list. I'm one of those that thinks every good song out there was written to me, for me or about me.

I like all those groups that you guys have listed but relaxational music is important in my line of work (massage therapy and bodywork) so I listen to a lot of that too...even though some of it is "New Age" and would make my church friends have heart failure. Music from other countries plays heavy into this area...celtic, drumming, pan flutes, digeridoo, etc.

The one song that holds the most sentimental meaning for me is "You are my Sunshine" because my dad sang it to me so much when I was little. He'd sing every verse and even make up a few of his own. Good daddies can be hard to find sometimes.

Brenda
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Yeoman

Ok,
Here's my favorites. Definately mid 70's
Eagles and Dan Fogleberg.......mellow rock
Aerosmith and Kansas....... Rock
Jimmy Buffet..... Beach music
Alabama....... Country
Most classical music, thank you Mom for making me listen to it.
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Admiral

My all-time favorite groups are ABBA, the Carpenters, the Bee Gees and the Eagles. As for individuals, I'd have to go with Anne Murray and Englebert. Wow! I guess that dates me somewhat. But at least most of them are still alive!

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:19 AM
venice

great music will be played forever thru time (our grandchildren will play the music we have all talked about in their futures..God knows what technology they will play it on, but they will play it)...I doubt highly if there will be a"rap" oldies station 15 years from now

VH! has a show that has 100 great love songs that really struck a chord with me because it brought back such memories and illustrated how even hard rock groups can make great love songs

My favorite all time modern song is "Dance With My Father" by Luther V-D..My favorite all time oldies is "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" by the Righteous Brothers..my all time favorite cruise song is "Cruising" by Smokey Robinson
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Happy Camper

Back then as well as now I couldn't ever remember artists - just the songs I liked... I like all music. Rap, Hip Hop (favorite), 80s Dance, classic rock, soft rock, etc.... I tried to tell my hubby (in his 40s and I'm in my 30s - no kids) that it is important to find at least one new song a year that you like that way you don't become dated... He didn’t believe me that ANY new songs especially Hip Hop or Rap could be good. Well I kept playing one over and over when it came on in the car and he started to notice it was a good song. Then a girl at his work with kids said she had to listen and keep up with the new songs because she wanted to know what her 10-12 year girls were listening too. He started to figure out that I was right and now he does listen to new songs too. There are good ones - even rap - may be only one a year but at least he is somewhat up on times...

Now for favorites - we were visiting some friends we met on a cruise and they played Jimmy Buffett and got us hooked on him! Now it is a lot of island music, Buffet, UB40, and Tom Petty as well as many others. Lots of favorites! Debbie
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:28 AM
venice

music bridges the racial gap in our country...almost everyone loves Motown music because it was the music of young America..not White America, not Black America, not Brown America, but America

It is ironic, that the biggest selling county album was by Ray Charles and the #1 rapper is White, my Dad raised all of us to believe that music knows no color
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Admiral

My musical tastes have changed but I'm just as much a "groupie" as before:

Now my favorites are this eclectic mix:

Lila Downs from Mexico, Mariza from Portugal, Iris Dement, Wanda Jackson, Lucinda Williams, Rodney Crowell etc. Go figure!

In fact we're going to see Wanda Jackson on Friday at a little funky dance hall pub in Portland and I cannot wait!
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Bob Seger!!! Detroit born and raised!

Feel in love with my husband at one of those concerts. We went every year after that. (He had a blue Camero too!!! ((VBG)) Must be something about that car!

TBug
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:25 PM
venice

blue camero heh ???sure yu two aren't sharing the same man ? (VBG)
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Admiral

I guess my fav band would have to be 2 of them..The Stones and ABBA....I love all music though, as long as it is not Opera. Opera ain't nuttin' but some fancy yelling...>G<sorry> 50's, 60's, some 70's and 90's..At one time I would not listen to anything but country and now I listen to R-R...oh well.

Post Edited (07-28-05 10:22)
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Very funny Venice!!! But she didn't say she married her "blue Camero " man. I did!

TBug
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Admiral

I hope I don't make anyone feel "old" but I'm a child of the 80s. I LOVE 80s music. The radio station in my car is tuned to an all-80s station.

My favorite band is Depeche Mode. They are coming out with a new album in the fall and I'm checking their website every day to see when they will announce tour dates.

Other bands I love are Erasure, The Cure, Pet Shop Boys, New Order, Alphaville, The Smiths, and Aha.

At work I listen to island music... a lot of steel drums and Buffett.

I also love classical music, especially the Romantics like Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, and Smetana, and the post-Romantics like Mahler.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old July 27th, 2005, 04:47 PM
venice

Michelle P..I will "fess up", I have never heard of any of the groups you listed (except one, the pet boys)..what type of music do they play ? Classical music is great have you listen to Mannheim Steamroller from Omaha NE ?

Do classical musicians get the beautiful women like rock stars do ? (BG)