Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default How has Cruising Changed in the 21st Century?

Since we opened CruiseMates in 1999 (Our birthday month is August and we will be seven :-) - how has cruising changed, as an industry and for you personally?

CruiseMates' staff impressions are in this article:
21st Century Cruising

Are you cruising more and enjoying it less (people 50+ will get that reference to Lucky Strike cigarettes), or the opposite, are you cruising more and enjoying it more?

What are your impressions on cruising; 20th century, vs.Cruising: 21st Century?
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Default How Has Cruising Changed in the 21st Century?

Terrorism has changed cruising. Since so many of us must fly to get to a port, obviously we are affected by airport security. If people think twice about getting on a plane, they might cruise less. Then the terrorists have won.

We attended a figure skating show in Anaheim, CA today. There, security has increased. I assume that will be the same story on the cruise lines.

Judy
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Yeoman

Default How has cruising changed?

First cruise: 1984; second: 1995 on NCL Windward, a small ship they later lengthened. One dining room and a wonderful crew. Later, bigger ships, then mega ships (Voyager, Explorer, etc.) Yes, we love the additional amenities, but I'm not so sure about sailing RCCL Freedom. Perhaps, but not right now. We love the fact that we sail the Crown from Brooklyn on 9/30 and we will be driving from the Boston area. It was practically unheard of, sailing from New England, let alone N.O., Galveston, Baltimore, Bayonne, etc. This is all a plus for more folks to be able to cruise.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Admiral

To me, the biggest change in cruising has been the availability of balconies. With the advent of all balcony cruise ships in 2001 with Seven Seas Mariner, Radisson showed that you could pay for the cheapest cabin instead of the most expensive suite and still get a spacious balcony. Since then, ships such as Sovereign of the Seas and Celebrity Century have been modified to add balconies. A case in point was a CruiseMates cruise that was planned for last year (or year before) on the Century. For me to get a balcony on Century, I would have had to pay more than I would have had to pay to sail Radisson or SilverSea in the Caribbean.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Admiral

As a result of 911..cruise lines began the process of Home Port Cruising which made a cruise ship available to people within 1-2 day driving. is one major change

I am cruising different (barges, windjammers, theme) and enjoying it more but paying more
Old August 14th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes - home-port cruising is a great idea that ironically was a good result of the 9/1 tragedy. I love seeing ships in San Diego harbor when I go there.

Also - having New York City, our greatest city in the USA, as a thriving year-round cruise port once again is such a happy thing. When I lived there I would love summer because the ships would come in for a few months, just to Manhattan. Now they also dock in to Brooklyn and Bayonne. New York harbor is thriving like iit is the 1940s again.

The onboard experience - especially "free-style" dining on almost all ships, is a big change. Also, as Marc points out - more balconies everywhere.

Another thing is more ports. I can remember when there were maybe a dozen Caribbean ports all the lines used over & over - now there are twice that many. I love the opening up of the former Eastern bloc in Europe and the ancient Mediterranean ports (I hope I get to see them some day; Libya, Egypt, Syria, Lebanon).
Old August 14th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Paul,
I agree with you that because of September 11th there are a lot more ports to embark from. Because most ports are within driving distance for most americans, it has made cruising more affordable. If one has to add in the cost of a flight, the hotel room, meals and tips, people would cruise less often. I also think that, by in large, cruise lines have improved on the quality of the food served. ie. more health conscious meals, more exercize equipment and programs, and more amenities such as ice skating rinks, movie theaters, rock climbing walls, and stores to shop in aboard the ship. It is my belief, that as the baby boomer generation starts to retire, there will be a big demand for activities catered to this group.
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Admiral

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I are cruising more, and absolutely enjoying it more. Back in the early 70's when I started cruising, there were very few ships, almost all sailing out of Miami, and all very small by todays standards. We sailed them, and enjoyed every minute, but looking back, they offered so little compared to todays mega liners. Still, they were great, and we had a wonderful time on each and every one of them. Makes you wonder what the ships of 20 or 30 years from now will offer! StarShips maybe????

Ken
Old August 14th, 2006, 01:03 PM
BEACH DOUG

I am not qualified to participate in this topic. I have only cruised in the 21st century, so I have no basis for comparison to the 20th century.
Old August 15th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Im in the same boat as Doug... only cruised in the 21st...
Horizon - July '03
Rhapsody of the Seas - Thanksgiving '03
Golden Princess - June '04
Carnival Ecstasy - May '05
Explorer of the Seas - July '05
Infinity - Doomed Voyage - July '06
Old August 15th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Well, my first cruise was in 1983, on Royal Viking Line - the company that is said to have invented the concept of luxury cruising. I worked on the RV Sea and th RV Sky, and in a span of 7 months made my way as far southwest as Tahiti and Northeast as the Norwegian Fjords, with a stop in Rio De Janiero on the way.

My very first cruise involved 10 days at sea from my first day out, Los Angeles to the Marquesa Islands in the South Pacific (remember Survivor?) then on to Bora Bora back when there were hardly any buildings there, down to Tahiti, five days to Hawaii, and five days back to San Francisco.
Old August 15th, 2006, 10:55 AM
BEACH DOUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Well, my first cruise was in 1983, on Royal Viking Line - the company that is said to have invented the concept of luxury cruising. I worked on the RV Sea and th RV Sky, and in a span of 7 months made my way as far southwest as Tahiti and Northeast as the Norwegian Fjords, with a stop in Rio De Janiero on the way.

My very first cruise involved 10 days at sea from my first day out, Los Angeles to the Marquesa Islands in the South Pacific (remember Survivor?) then on to Bora Bora back when there were hardly any buildings there, down to Tahiti, five days to Hawaii, and five days back to San Francisco.
Color me jealous.
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Admiral

I'm in the same boat too. hey ask criscomia what sailing in the 19th century was like!!!!