Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default How do you pottie train a puppy?

We have two dogs, the older one has been fully potti trained for a year. We just brought a new puppy into the house (same breed) and she is pretty good, but she WILL sneak a house p or poop when the weather gets bad.

We had a weather turn with rain and cold winds this weekend (Im in Phx., so I mean it hit the 50s) - but the puppy "went" in the house five times throughout the day.

When we take her outside she won't go. It's like we can't tell her the different between inside & outside - she has lost the ability to understand outside is the place to go.

She was okay until the weather turned cold (hotter than dougnuts was never a problem, btw).

What to do?

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Okay, this always worked for us and takes maybe two to four days.

Whenever the puppy goes in the house, just carry it over to the "accident scene" put it's nose near the mess, take your finger and pointing it to its nose say something along the lines of "NO! Bad Dog!"

Then take it outside to an enclosed (meaning fenced so it can't wander off)area and make it stay outside for awhile .... I don't care whether its raining or whatever.

The puppy should quickly get the association as dogs (as they have just learned) are far smarter than we ever gave them credit for being.

Growing up with two large indoor dogs always in residence, I don't remember Mother having to that many times at all. The trick is to leave the puppy outside long enough that it gets the message that it's supposed to do it's duty outside.

Good luck, buddy!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by ToddDH; November 6th, 2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old November 6th, 2011, 02:18 PM
First Mate

Hi Mr. Motter,
Have you tried to put today's paper when the weather is not good,this is something that attract puppies. Good luck
MTL
Old November 6th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Just persevere, it takes time & somebody at home all the time. Take it out to "perform" & reward it when it does so, the trouble with disciplining the dog when it goes somewhere it shouldn't is the dog can associate actually "going" (which it can't avoid) being wrong, NOT just doing it in the wrong place.
Old November 6th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Is this happening in the house when someone is home, or when the pups are alone?
If alone, perhaps crate-training is the answer, keeping the little one crated during the day (not TOO long!) and taking her out when you get home. Normally, a dog will not soil his or her "space" as in a crate.

donna

Old November 6th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Sorry Donna but they will if left there, I did say the only way is for someone to be there & persevere.
Old November 6th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I was always against "kennel" training, but it only took 6 months and the kennel was no long needed. Even with the long hours we work and she is left alone in the house, no accidents. There were the occasional ones, but they will not usually go in their kennel... I now swear by kennel training...Although, I have a golden and she doesn't mind the rain or snow, she loves it...go figure..?

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 6th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Admiral

If we were going out for a long time we would not expect our dogs not to go if they had to, not their fault after all. I don't think people should have dogs if they are not at home.
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Captain

Unfortunately, dogs have about a 3-second short term memory, so if you dont catch them "in the act" then dont bother disiplining them. They will just try to hide the deed somewhere else. What has worked for us is the crate training. Our Lab loves his crate. Its his personal space, and he has NEVER soiled the crate. What HAS worked is: 1) catching him in the act of soiling the house. 2) making a BIG FUSS and immediately rushing him outside, letting him go wherever 3) eventually moving him to the part of the yard you want to be his "toilet" 4) STRONG praise and/or reward when he does it right, NOTHING when he does it wrong. Our 6 month old Black Lab has been fully house trained for over 8 weeks now, and only does his deeds in a 10-foot x 10 foot corner of the yard. In addition, he has never come inside with "poo paws". We are still working on seperation anxiety, though.
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Captain

I forgot to mention, as dogs grow, so do their bladders, and their bladder strength. This means they can "hold it " longer. Young puppies just gotta go. If you cant be there to let them outside, then maybe training pads (didn't work for our dog) or newspaper in a corner. Catching them in the act is key, as is showing them where you want them to go potty.
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Captain

Also, dont clean up their indoor messes with an amonia-based cleaner (like Lysol). It smells like pee to a dog, and just encourages them to go again in the same spot. Clean up with vinegar and water solution instead.
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:46 AM
First Mate

I have had many dogs and also worked several years for PetsMart. I strongly stand by the kennel training method for potty training! I love my dogs like they're my children, but I do not love stains on my carpet! MOST dogs will not go to the bathroom where they sleep. The key is that the kennel should not be larger than they need. They should only be able to turn around in it. Kennels too large give them a corner or area to go. For most dogs this means you'll need to increase the size as they get bigger. They also have kennels with dividers in them for this purpose. As soon as you let them out, they need to go straight outside, then be rewarded when they go. Like Donna said, this should only take a few months. Hope that helps!

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old November 7th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Admiral

So... you can confine a dog to a crate where it has barely enough room to turn round then go out for hours on end...OR you can spend time with the puppy as "ship2shore" correctly states. Be kind & consistent, they don't realise you are telling them off for "going" in the wrong place, they think it is wrong to actually "go". OK you can lock a dog in a crate when you go out to avoid damage or fouling, & they do(or some do) learn to actually like the crate, we often put one up & our old dog goes in there for a bit of peace, but it's not a substitute for "hands on" training & spending time with the dog. Not all dogs will tolerate a crate.
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Admiral

We too, are in the "doggie business", and we too agree that the most effective method of training is with a kennel.

"SKY"
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I knwo professionals recommend the Kennel Method - which is what we used withour first dog and she is really good. The young one, however, isn't as trained on us as she is on the big dog, so our discipline doesn't have as much effect on her.

The BIG problem now, though, is that they are so spoiled they won't go outside in their usual spot when it rains. I thinkit smells too much like cat litter from all the feral cats that have used it.

So we have to let them go out in a different place while its raining.

Old November 7th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Having had Golden Retrivers for many years from new born puppy and up, I am against crate training...think it is inhumane...but thats just our opinion.

We have had success when first starting, to take the puppy out hourly, reward when the deed is done and never put an animals nose in any accidents they have.

Patience and dilligence in a "Routine" until the puppy "catches on" is all you need to follow.... they will "get it".... just takes more time than others with different breeds of dogs. Best of luck

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old November 7th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
Having had Golden Retrivers for many years from new born puppy and up, I am against crate training...think it is inhumane...but thats just our opinion.

We have had success when first starting, to take the puppy out hourly, reward when the deed is done and never put an animals nose in any accidents they have.

Patience and dilligence in a "Routine" until the puppy "catches on" is all you need to follow.... they will "get it".... just takes more time than others with different breeds of dogs. Best of luck
I agree with this. Also some dogs & some breeds never seem to catch on!