Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2012, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Default Sunday

Morning mates. It's cool and sunny outside, but 2012 is not starting out too well for us. Dad is in one of his not eating drinking phases right now and he's weak. He tried ot get out of his wheelchair last night and bumped his arm on the doorframe. In anyone else it would not have been a big deal, but he has paper thin skin, so it tore it up. I wrapped it in gauze since no one was at home with me. I'll send someone out today, or go out myself and get some butterfly strips. I've also got to rotate his diet again to where he'll eatand drink more. Even though it's cooler and he'll freeze, looks like we'll be going back to the root breer floats from this summer. They do help keep him hydrated. And more ideas would be appreciated. I've got him on glurcena, too.

I hope you all have a wonderful day. I've been reading. Read three book this last week.
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2012, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Bright and warm out there, so no weather woes here. Moraine, G-d bless you for all you do...we should all be so lucky to have such a caring angel around.

Last night the Chinese food went over well, with a bit of leftovers for a snack later.<grin>

I finished a book on the fire yesterday,and ordered her next one, thinking I had not read it...I had. One quick call to Amazon,and, it got credited...Amazing with all the books I have on it, I couldn't get interested in any others last night..sort of like having cable, with 350 channels,and nothing to watch..lol

Enjoy your day kids, whatever you decide to do.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 1st, 2012, 11:05 AM
Admiral

I know what you mean about the books Trip. Sometimes you are just not in the mood for what you have.
Old January 1st, 2012, 11:16 AM
Captain

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all the CM's out there. Hope you all had a fun evening celebrating the start of 2012. The sun is out here and the temp feels quite warm for Jan. 1st. Is this the calm before the storm!
We had a wonderful weekend starting on Friday evening. We drove to Dayton, Oh where we helped some friends celebrate their 50th wedding anniv. It was a very nice party for them. We stayed overnight and on Sat. AM visited with my niece and future nephew who lives near. They will be getting married in May but he is already one of the family, great guy. It was then off to Columbus, Ohio. We have been shopping around for a new (used) car. We wanted another Chevy HHR and since Chevy made 2011 the last year for that model we were looking for a good deal. We saw one online so headed to the dealership and they still had it. The car had what we were looking for just a little pricier than what we had hoped for. A very nice salesman did his pitch then D/H told him what he would give for it and we now have a 2009 HHR in my garage.
We then headed to a wedding of 2 dear firends. These 2 folks had both lost their mates several years ago and found each other thanks to our square dance activity. We have know them for at least 25 yrs and are just so happy that they found each other. It was a simple but very nice wedding and reception. Left there and stopped in at some other friends home to say Happy New Year. Got teased really bad about D/H driving the old HHR and me in the new one. Had fun there.
The bad part of the weekend was my daughter called while we were dealling on the new car to say my SIL got called to work in Columbus. and about 30 miles from work the car broke down. It is a 2010 GMC Acadia and it acted like the transmission was having issues. The salesman we were dealing with gave us the telephone # for roadside assistance and since the car was way under the 100,000 miles they towed it to the closest dealership. SIL got a ride to his work and we picked him up when his shift was over. We got home about 1am safe and sound. The dealership won't look at their car until Tues. so we are hoping whatever the issue is they can fix it.
Today we will be gathering with D/H's family for a delayed Christmas celebration. The family has gotten so big that we have trouble finding a day when everyone can get together. It will be wild with 6 little ones and more gifts for them!
Everyone have a great day and praying that 2012 is a good year for all of us.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 1st, 2012, 11:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Good morning from a cool and cloudy NW GA. Nothing on the agenda today except the home PT. Getting pretty good with the left handed typing, can't say the same with the eating.
Brenda
Old January 1st, 2012, 11:43 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning and HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone.

2012 has started out as a white one here. We had our first real snow last night. About 3" of very wet snow but the temps have dropped and it remained on the ground.

Last night I took out my AK, AR, SW, HK, Glock and Remington and shot them repeatedly into the air to celebrate the New Year. Just kidding. Actually it was an uneventful NYE. We were to go to my brother's home but Betty was not feeling well so we canceled. As the day wore on she felt better but I have contracted the plague and feel worse so it worked out.

After we had our champagne toast and a kiss Betty went outside and shoveled the entire driveway. The snowblower would not pick up the snow because it was so wet so she went old school and just used the big shovel and became the human snow plow. It was heavy and my drive way is 150' long so it was a major undertaking but it is clean as a whistle this morning. It's nice to have "the little woman" doing the yard work while I sit with my leg up and watch TV. :o Last year was the same thing. I had just had a new pacemaker put in and she had to do the snow. Luckily, so far this year it has been far less.

Moraine: I hope the best for you and your Dad. I know that in the later stages eating becomes very hard. My FIL would only eat smashed up pirogies. I hope you find something that he'll eat and can stay hydrated.

Sue: You sure have been busy. I hope that the new car gives you hundreds of thousands of miles of service.

Trip: Enjoy the leftover Chinese food. I have three Vietnamese spring rolls leftover from yesterday that will probably be today's lunch.

Brenda: I understand what a PIA it is to not have full use of the hand and fingers. I'm wishing you a quick recovery.

To everyone: Have a great Sunday and I hope that 2012 is the best one yet.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 1st, 2012, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Default Sunday

Good morning and happy new year. Another balmy day here in SoCal. The people coming in for the Rose Bowl game and parade won't want to go home.

We had a very quiet New Years Eve, but we did stay up to watch the ball in NYC Times Square.

Neighborhood is really quiet, thank heaven.

I wish everyone a healthy propserous new year.

Judy
Old January 1st, 2012, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest.........sunshine & warm..........low 50's...........

Had a very quiet NYE........went to sleep about 11.......woke up just before midnight & watched the Space Needle fireworks.......then went back to sleep......

Y'all have a good day............

Sharon
Old January 1st, 2012, 02:40 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon from Virginia Beach where it is already in the 60's today. Tomorrow the weather is supposed to go back down to the 40's. This morning, after talking to family and friends, I headed to Dillards and had a "field day". Bought some clothing for the grandchildren and, of course, some for myself. The store was mobbed! Let's face it, everybody like a "good sale". May all of my fellow cruisemates have a healthy and happy new year and may all of you cruise as much as you can!
Old January 1st, 2012, 03:39 PM
First Mate

Hi Everyone! I am one of the lurkers here from outside of Chicago. I just wanted to give Moraine suggestions. My mother was my father's caregiver for many years as he suffered from dementia. She used to make pancakes and shakes with Ensure when he would not eat. She would also add Ensure to a little ice cream to get nutrition into him. You are a blessing to him as my mother was to my father.
Old January 1st, 2012, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon from Palm Cosat, FL. it's sunny and the temp is 74.

Happy new year to to all the cruisemates.

Moiraine, I know what you are going through. When my mom did not want toeat i would give her Ensure. Dealing with people like your dad is a very difficult job no matter how you slice it.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old January 1st, 2012, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Good evening all and hope your New Year is starting out on the right foot.

The dinner dance was fantastic and we made 30 grand!

Sorry Moiraine to hear about all the problems with your Dad. My heart goes out to you.

I pushed myself too hard last night and boy did I pay the price today. Not alcohol mind you just not resting enough throughout the day. I went non stop.

It was all I could do to get home this morning. Then I crashed until this evening. Am a little better this evening and am going back to bed as soon as I finish this post. I just got up to feed my furry children.

Hope I'm back to some semblance of normalcy tomorrow. Time will tell

Prayers and Blessings continue.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old January 1st, 2012, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Thank you guys. Your kind words help. The sugar free ice cream and sf root beer for a float was a hit. He's had two of the things today. I hope to coax him into eating a bit more. Thanks for the suggestions. It all helps.

Todd, I hope you are eating.
Old January 1st, 2012, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Happy New Year to all my fellow Cruise Mates. Jose and I have had a quiet day, celebrating our anniversary, reminiscing about our lovely, intimate wedding in Costa Rica 15 years ago today. All of his kids and grandkids were there, but my daughter was in Pasadena marching in the Rose Bowl parade and playing with the Arizona State Sun Devils band at the game. The only thing that would have made that day 100% perfect would have been if the Sun Devils had beaten the Ohio State Buckeyes! Anyway, we have had 15 wonderful years together, and our Arizona Cardinals finished the season today with a win, and a winning season, so life is good! !
Old January 1st, 2012, 10:40 PM
Admiral

We spent the day in NYC
Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have been there with my dad and mil. My mil lived with us for 2 years and it was rough. The only thing she could seem to taste was salt. We had to hide the salt shakers as she would pour it into her hand and eat it. She had high blood pressure but eventually her doc said let her have it. She also lived on Ensure.