Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Admiral

Default Tuesday dawns cool in upper East Tennessee

Well, this morning it's kinda' cool outside with according to my window thermometer, about 46F. Tomorrow we're supposed to have a low of 36F. Looks to me as if winter is trying its best to hang on at least every so often as the other day it was in the high seventies and I had to mow the lawn.

Have been so busy it's been crazy around here. As I posted on another thread, went down to Clinton and bought a vehicle, a 2008 Mazda CV-7. Because of my increasing physical disability (we won't even go to the dimentia part) I needed something I could easily get in and out of. It's only a 4 cylinder (something else I swore I'd never have) but with the turbro it's a "pocket rocket." The guy who helped me (he's good friends with the dealer so I got a hell of a deal on it) drove it back for me as i had to drive my rental back. His wife followed in her car so she'd have a way home as the kids, who said they were going to "The Beach" (Myrtle) surprised everyone and ended up in Reykjavik (SP?) Iceland! Go figure.

Anyway, I've yet to even drive it myself and it truly looks brand new; not a ding or even a scratch on it. With my physical disability, it will probably be the last vehicle I ever own and if I can stay out of trouble with it (like driving off a mountain as I did a couple of weeks ago today), maybe it will last me. Time will tell. It must be mechanically in pretty good shape as well for the dealership also threw in a three month, three thousand mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Am glad to hear those on the mend are getting better. I have to be careful myself because even though it was morning when I left yesterday, I nevertheless had to pull into a rest area and fell asleep for two solid hours! Hell, I'd only been up for three! As much driving as I do, that's scary, let me tell you!

Have a ton of things to do today. Have two meetings, have to g into the office for awhile and I need to return a rental car and then I have to hunt for a cheesecake recipe. I'll certainly be busy.

Prayers continue for those on the "sick list" along with Blessings upon all!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning from a very nice Texas, where the temps are in the upper 60's with a slight breeze.

We are once again up early. Our new family member said we had to get up and play. We have finally decided a name. We are going to call her Bella.

We spent a good deal of time out in the back yard yesterday, letting her get use to all the sights and sounds. She has also tried using the doggy door, but gets stuck, because she can't jump through, and hold the door open at the same time. The way she is eating it shouldn't be to long, before she is able to come and go as she pleases.

Today she has her first Dr's appointment, but I think they will find that she is healthy.

We found out last night that our trip has been cancelled. We are a little disappointed, but will get over it. Reason given, money. Not a good sign when a unit can't afford to train their troops. Sure hope that by this time next year, it will be better.

Well, you know who is full, and asleep, so I guess I had better start my day.

All of you have a good one.

Much love,

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Admiral

Morning Todd and Luanne, welcome to another week.
Todd, glad you got yourself some wheels, just don't go driving off any mountains in it!
Luanne, glad to hear you are enjoying Bella, sounds like she will be fun!

The temperature here today is not much less than Todd's; he's at 46, we're at 4C or 39F, and at least the sun is out and it has stopped raining (and snowing!) Pretty much all the snow melted in the rain yesterday, so we're left with mud once again....

Today it's aquafitness (I've missed it!) and back to work. At least it's only a 4-day week!

donna
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone.

It is a clear but cool/cold morning with temps in the mid-twenties. There is a bit of frost in certain areas and I hope all the emerging plants haven't been damaged. That's the risk with such an early Spring. Winter tries to make one or two last ditch returns and wreak havoc. It should be short lived and the talking heads are saying temps will be back around 60 by Thursday.

Todd: Nice car! I know you'll like it. Betty had Mazda's for almost 20 years and was actually unhappy when I convinced her to buy a Camry. I wouldn't be too dismayed about the four cylinder. The four cylinders of today are nothing like the four cylinders of 20 - 30 years ago. They have more power and last longer. If you're not pulling a trailer all the time it will last a LONG time.

One thing that is nice is that the cars of today are MUCH better than any time before. It used to be if a car made 100,000 miles you had a celebration because that was about all they lasted. If the engine or transmission hadn't blown then the body was rusted beyond repair. Now if a car doesn't make 100,000 miles it's a lemon. Yes, the cars of yesteryear had more "personality" but you would spend a small fortune keeping them going. Gone are the days of the shade tree mechanic (other than oil changes) but the amount of maintenance required on new vehicles is nothing compared to the constant plugs, points, condensers, belts, brakes and other "stuff" you were putting into the older cars every few thousand miles. Plus, new cars have the performance you want and more miles per gallon. When I hear: "They don't make them like they used to." I just smile and say "Yep, they make them a heck of a lot better."

I hope everyone has a great Tuesday. Luanne, enjoy the puppy. She'll get the hang of the doggy door.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Rob and I got back from Maryland, yesterday and then had to go to work.This morning it was back to the gym to work off all of the food that I had eaten for both seders!. Todd, glad to hear that you got a great deal on a car. My 2003 Camry, keeps "chugging along", thank G-d. Cars are sooo expensive now! Rob is now at a Weight Watcher's meeting and has been real good in watching what he eats; he will need to exhibit "great control" when we depart for our transatlantic cruise on April 21st! Hope that all of my fellow cruisemates have a great day. Prayers go out to those who are not feeling "up to snuff".
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Good morning everyone.
Congratulations on the new car, Todd. Sounds like a real nice one.

I've enjoyed reading about Bella too, Luanne. She sounds like a great little addition to your family.

Don't know if I told you already, but we accepted an offer on our condo on Saturday evening. Things sure happened fast! Wish it was so easy up in WI, but if we don't sell that place it will be okay. We can't close til near the end of May so I have lots of time to get organized and shop for some furniture for our new place.

Have a good one all.
Phyll
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates. Another scorcher in Scottsdale today.. stretching to 94 later in the day.

Yesterday, got most of the stuff I'm taking home packed, and most of the condo cleaned, ready for closing up. So... I'm off to the golf course today, for my last golf game before heading north.

Just 3 more sleeps until I head north, where it's much cooler.

Luanne.. Kuki Jr. and his wife have a dog called Bella. Kind of funny because if he (Kuki Jr) had been a she instead of a he when he was born, her name was going to be Bella.

Enjoy your Bella!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Good morning
Its plain plum cold outside but the sun is out so it helps.
Not too much going on with me today however D/H & D/S will be going to the Cubs game tonight so they better bundle up because once the sun goes down it will be very cold at least for baseball.
Todd…. enjoy your new vehicle!
Luanne…. Congrats on your new puppy Bella.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Good morning from warm and sunny NY
Old April 10th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Default Tuesday Dawns Cool in Upper East Tennessee

Good morning. Cooler here in CA, too, although the sun shines. We will awaken to rain, so we are told.

Luanne. Enjoy the new puppy. And speaking of names, I grew up with cats. But the cat's name was always Tommy, male or female. As a kid, it used to annoy me, but no other name ever stuck, just Tommy.

Todd, enjoy your new car. Keith's 22-yr. old Acura keeps chugging along. It's only driven locally but has amassed 135,00 miles.

Keith and I have a coupon for P.F.Chang's, so we will have lunch in Pasadena today.

Have a good day, people!

Judy

Old April 10th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon Mates.

It's warm and sunny here. I was out all morning working in the yard, but it's lunch time now, so my chores are done for the day.

I wish you all a nice day.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!