Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2005, 02:16 PM
genesis

Default salaries on various lines

hello all,

i saw a really helpful answer on cruise staff salaries within various lines and was wondering if anyone wants to say what the salaries for 2 positions are:
1. IT staff (Computer Officer)
2. Pursers

grateful for any help on this one. please state which cruise line pays what salary.

thanks,
g
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Beginner

Default Salaries

its not really good to ask people what they are making. Its kind of an unspoken rule, unless you are between friends, behind closed doors. I can tell you that the line I'm working for now is paying me almost $200/ week more than the last one, but you get what you pay for. The more luxurious, the higher pay, plus the higher the standards. If you want to start low you can apply to something like Carnival, but as the lines become more expensive, its pretty obvious that you can make your own assumptions on salary. IT usually has a different type of budget than the Pursers Dept, which usually has much less. I have a bunch of I/S manager friends, who had "perks" that other departments just couldn't afford. I think you would have to find the job you "really" want and forget about the money. However, you can check out various recruiting sites that will give you a rough estimate for salaries. No cruise line is going to tell you before you are hired. Hope I helped.
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Passenger

Quote:
No cruise line is going to tell you before you are hired. Hope I helped.
But that's why we come here (or at least google trying to find a forum where we can find answers).

This forum has great information,but it seems kinda dead. Isn't there a moderator? I'm sure this place would come back to live with a moderator answering q's as best as he can.

Otherwise this is kinda like ghost forum...

Or... can anyone suggest a more active forum where we get to find out the REAL life in a cruise ship as opposed to the fairy tale recruiting agencies want you to believe it is? I for one am very disappointed with the salaries out there, in the real world of cruises.
Old May 7th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

you come here one day and expect to get all the answers to your questions? Kids these days want everything just handed to them, don't they.

The reason people don't say things like that is because we all figured it out for ourselves and take pride in the fact that we did. As life goes on you will find that there are some kinds of knowledge that people don't just give away.

Besides, people can only speak for themselves not for others, and finally, I posted what I made because I am no longer in the job, but someone working at one line getting paid twice what someone else is making for the same job would be stupid to tell his competition what he is making.

Do you really want advice from stupid people?

Sorry, but your comments about this forum just hit me the wrong way. If you expect things to be handed to you I am sorry I helped you out. If you want valuable information learn to have some respect.
Old May 7th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Passenger

Hi Paul,

I really don't understand why you got upset. I don't see anything wrong with sharing information especially since most of us here are anonymous. For those of you who are not anonymous you can always say that you know "someone" under such and such cirumstances.... Besides, I thought world traveler's answer was rude to an innocent question.

Personally if I get something through hard effort and can assist someone else and make it easier for that person I have no problem what so ever with that. I'm happy to be of help. I guess that's why I want to get into this industry, because I enjoy helping people (and traveling, of course).

Well, as I said I don't understand why you got upset and find nothing disrespectful about my words however I apologize as it certainly was something I said.

On another note I'm no kid here, but someone who enjoys helping people out and sometimes assumes everybody does too.

Well, see you around. As I said before this is a good forum. I wish it was more visited but it's the best in it's kind I've found so far.

Cheers 8)
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

OK - I'm over it. It is my forum and I do know how hard it is to get information. But let me tell you, I am certainly no kid and it was a LOT harder back when I started on ships in 1982. You couldn't get any information back then.

And even now there are a lot of people out there who sell books on "how to get a cruise job" which claim to have tips on job openings but don't.

I am afraid I still stand by my point, even anonymously it would stupid for someone making more money for the same job to tell other qualified people about his job, unless he planned on leaving it soon.

Plus - salaries are something you do not discuss out of respect for your employer. What if I divulged my salary and one of my co-workers was getting less, or more? If he was getting less he might quit (p*ssing off my employer) or he might complain and the company cuts my salary to make us even.

I know for a fact people on ships do not discuss their salaries with their co-workers, so it isn't going to happen here much either.

When I was working for Jean Ann Ryan (she is very well-known in the industry) and I mentioned to my NCL co-workers I was unhappy with my pay and I told them what I made they hinted that they were making a lot more working for the company NCL. So I did what I suggest to people here. I got written recommendations from the entertainers I work with, and my co-workers, and I took them to another cruise line and get a better job as soon as my contract was up.

So, what is my point - anytime there is a desirable job like working on a ship you have to do it yourself. If someone is the "just hand it to me" type who doesn't put in the effort they won't last long in the business because there are too many smarter, more resourceful people out there who want that job.

I am very happy amd proud of our 18-year-old teen editor, Dan Polulak, who turned his position here at CruiseMates (and other things he does) into a starting position at Carnival. He is only 18, but he is a self-starter, motivated, hard-working young man. I can even tell you he fought for his job with us at CruiseMates, hanging in there even though we originally selected someone else. He was right there reminding us he still wanted the job if it didn't work out, and he got it. Because he stuck with going after his goals he has gotten what he wants. Way to go, Dan.

I hear so many people using excuses these days when it comes to work. I was thinking of telling my stepdaughter I could help get her a job on a cruise ship, at 20 she could really use a change in her luck, but she surprised us by getting a huge tattoo on her back. "Well, if people can't accept me for who I am then I don't want to know them" was her rationale.

Great. I guess she won't have any problems figuring out who those people are - the ones who won't be handing things to her on a platter because she thinks about pleasing herself with no regard for how other people see her.

So, why the rant? Because if someone wants my help to get a job on a ship, show me you have the intellect and resourcefulness to deserve the job first. Then I will help you. I am not going to go out of my way for someone who is going to take what I have to say as, "is that all you got"
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to RoseyGirl Send a message via MSN to RoseyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to RoseyGirl

Hi G,

I'm sorry some people have a problem with being open about there jobs.
I for one know how I felt when I first got started in the Cruise Line busness. I also know you didn't mean anything bad by asking your question. I will be going on Celibrity Cruise Lines, Galaxy, this July as Youth Staff. I signed a contract that will cover all my living exp. and airfair. I don't know what my set monthly pay is yet but I'm told it's in the 1,600 to 2,800 range. When I find out for sure I'll let you know. However, I do know that Celibrity Is one of the higher paying Cruise line across the board, if that help you out any.

GOOD LUCK!!!
RosieGirl
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Passenger

RosieGirl,

Thank you so much for that info. May i ask a couple of more questions? when did you start in the cruise industry? Do you know if they hire Canadians in Celebrity? Do you have previous experience working with kids? Where did you apply to work for Celebrity?

Again, thanks
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to lil917hi

hey rosey-

just to let you know the base pay for youth staff with celebrity is $1560 a month. you do make more money with tips and babysitting- but don't count on anywhere near $2800 a month. your experience, however, will be worth much more.