Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Beginner

Default Working for Steiner-A definate NO! Not even as the Medi-Spa

took a job aboard a cruise ship. Once onboard you are at the mercy of the company. They do not adhere to working hours. There are constant threats of being fired if you dare complain.The spa managers are power hungry bitter women who use that power to control and manipulate staff.One manager (Erica McEvitt) treated the spa as her own brothel-hooking up girls with the officers.She obviously got something in return ?Money
If girls refused life onboard would become hell for them.This woman had power because of her connections with people onboard.
Steiner does not care about anyhing as long as they get money. They throw people off at the gangway with no money or travel arrangements.There is no notice period.YOu can be told one morning that you are fired and you need to get of fthe ship that day. They dont give you your pay and theres nothing you can do. The services are a sham.. Cooking oil is used for massage and people are expected to pau $150 for it.
On 2 of the ships I worked on the galvanic machines(for facials) were broken bus still used on the clients...and the staff had to pretend that they were working. Steiner is the company with probably the worst work ethic in the world. There are not much more than a gang of thugs with a company that is listed on the stock exchange! And when you work for them you are at their mercy....remember that before signing the contract(which is totally illegal- and they only get away with it because they trade at sea)
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Wow - this is a pretty raw condemnation. Someone could be in trouble, especially for naming names.
Old October 11th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Beginner

If you dont mind sharing....which ships did you work for...i heard your experience pretty much depends on your ship and the managers.

Also if anyone is interested in some additional perspectives here is a forum all about getting a job as a massage therapist on a cruise ship. there is a lot of commentary about the Steiner experience there.

http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/mass...ip-jobs/t55968

S. Woods
Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:29 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default The truth about Steiner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlysue View Post
took a job aboard a cruise ship. Once onboard you are at the mercy of the company. They do not adhere to working hours. There are constant threats of being fired if you dare complain.The spa managers are power hungry bitter women who use that power to control and manipulate staff.One manager (Erica McEvitt) treated the spa as her own brothel-hooking up girls with the officers.She obviously got something in return ?Money
If girls refused life onboard would become hell for them.This woman had power because of her connections with people onboard.
Steiner does not care about anyhing as long as they get money. They throw people off at the gangway with no money or travel arrangements.There is no notice period.YOu can be told one morning that you are fired and you need to get of fthe ship that day. They dont give you your pay and theres nothing you can do. The services are a sham.. Cooking oil is used for massage and people are expected to pau $150 for it.
On 2 of the ships I worked on the galvanic machines(for facials) were broken bus still used on the clients...and the staff had to pretend that they were working. Steiner is the company with probably the worst work ethic in the world. There are not much more than a gang of thugs with a company that is listed on the stock exchange! And when you work for them you are at their mercy....remember that before signing the contract(which is totally illegal- and they only get away with it because they trade at sea)
Yes,thats right.I was in Steiner training academy in London and i left them.These people are not professional and not experienced.They hire some girls who have not experience and teach them a few days how to do massage.I was shoked. They insist a heavy make up ,so i told them that I am not a prostitute,but a professional massage therapist. Their products are terrible ,contain preservatives and chemicals ,but steiner pretend to sell natural products. They dont have professional ethic and treat people like a dogs. So,I decided to leave this terrible company.
Old July 4th, 2011, 12:54 PM
First Mate

I have never worked FOR Steiner, but have had the misfortune to have to work WITH them on 23 different ships and 11 different cruise lines over the past 3 decades.

The attitudes and opinions expressed above pretty much tell the story. I cannot believe that this company gets away with what they do - to their employees and the cruising public.

Dishonest and unethical would be far too polite descriptions for Steiner. I really feel bad for their employees on my ships.

Unfortunately, every time a new Spa company comes along to compete with them, Steiner purchases the company and integrates all the new employees into their nightmare.
Old July 4th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This is a sad, and, frightening situation,which no one knew about! Is it because they staff does not work for the cruiseline, but for Steiner, that they don't step in and try and help? Is this just the tip of the iceberg?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 4th, 2011, 02:02 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
This is a sad, and, frightening situation,which no one knew about! Is it because they staff does not work for the cruiseline, but for Steiner, that they don't step in and try and help? Is this just the tip of the iceberg?
Steiner, as a concession, has nearly complete control over their employees. The cruise line gets involved only if an employee violates cruise line regulations or the law.

Typically Steiner withholds several months salary from each employee, threatening to keep it if the employee complains or steps out of line.

I have known many hundreds of ex-Steiner employees. ALL of them are disgruntled.
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Steiner, as a concession, has nearly complete control over their employees. The cruise line gets involved only if an employee violates cruise line regulations or the law.

Typically Steiner withholds several months salary from each employee, threatening to keep it if the employee complains or steps out of line.

I have known many hundreds of ex-Steiner employees. ALL of them are disgruntled.
Its been awhile but once again its time for the DUMB QUESTION OF THE DAY!Are you ready here we go, Who is Stener? Is it a company a person or what. and what do they have to do with cruise lines?
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:25 PM
First Mate

Steiner is a very large Spa company, based in the UK, that operates the Spa/Salon/Gymnasium Concession on about 90% of all the cruise ships in the world.
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Funny... a 3 yr old thread brought back to life. Yet, in that time nothing has changed with Steiner
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 9th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
I have never worked FOR Steiner, but have had the misfortune to have to work WITH them on 23 different ships and 11 different cruise lines over the past 3 decades.

The attitudes and opinions expressed above pretty much tell the story. I cannot believe that this company gets away with what they do - to their employees and the cruising public.

Dishonest and unethical would be far too polite descriptions for Steiner. I really feel bad for their employees on my ships.

Unfortunately, every time a new Spa company comes along to compete with them, Steiner purchases the company and integrates all the new employees into their nightmare.
The problem is not Steiner...the problem are the cruise lines...because they get let's say 1 hour massage for 150 $...they get 85% from it 8.5 % is for you and the rest is for Steiner...
Steiner basicly only makes money with their crap products...that is the only thing they care about...

I worked as an massage therapist and i got a warning once for intimidate an client with the question "how is the cruise with your boyfriend?"

But when clients come back and complain about the product selling or they bring back the products they just bought...you will not get a warning whatsoever....and the cruiselines let them do.

i had an friend who also worked for Steiner and he was great in selling...one day i asked him why he is so successful...he told that after the massage he takes the products he wants to sell in front of the client and gives him orders like you have to take this product twice a week or this 3 times a week...the clients mostly just let him do...at the end my friend always asks the client do you think you can do that for me..

He then packs the products in a bag and adds it to the bill...but the client still dont know how much they cost..the client sees it when he signs the bill and then leaves the Spa...

65% of clients come back the same or the next day and return the products...but 35% keep them because of beeing ashamed!

Steiner trains you to do exact like my friend did...after one contract i quit witrh them because i wanna provide a first class service without the pressure to sell products...it is lying into the faces of every client..

But once again the cruiselines know everything and never stepped in...
I love america but the companys that america brought into the world are the worst of the worst...in human rights!!
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Steiner just bought out our spas and I just want to say that within a year our salary was cut TWICE!!! This company raised the price of our services to then turn around and cut our pay!! Not to mention, they added longer work weeks and business hours in addition to more techs now our books are practically empty. We are commission based employees only so we basically work for free!!! They capped our commission and we only get a raise every 3 years!!! YOU ARE UP FOR A RAISE ONLY IF YOU FALL UNDER A CERTAIN TIER!!! THE COMMISSION HAS BEEN BROUGHT DOWN TO 26% from 30% in one year!!! THEY HAVE ALSO REQUIRED US TO PAY MORE ON OUR HEALTHCARE! This company is pure evil, their response is if you don't like it leave. When they cut our pay the first time an employee asks if execs pay were cut as well and she was reamed by human resources and the regional manager for mentioning it. I hope steiner execs burns in hell. Keep treating your employees like crap and eventually this will be posted in the los angeles and new york times. I want the world to know about your demeaning employee treatment and fear tactics you treat us like second class disposable citizens.
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Welcome Newcomer

@ paul. Steiner just bought out our spas and I just want to say that within a year our salary was cut TWICE!!! This company raised the price of our services to then turn around and cut our pay!! Not to mention, they added longer work weeks and business hours in addition to more techs now our books are practically empty. We are commission based employees only so we basically work for free!!! They capped our commission and we only get a raise every 3 years!!! YOU ARE UP FOR A RAISE ONLY IF YOU FALL UNDER A CERTAIN TIER!!! THE COMMISSION HAS BEEN BROUGHT DOWN TO 26% from 30% in one year!!! THEY HAVE ALSO REQUIRED US TO PAY MORE ON OUR HEALTHCARE! This company is pure evil, their response is if you don't like it leave. When they cut our pay the first time an employee asks if execs pay were cut as well and she was reamed by human resources and the regional manager for mentioning it. I hope steiner execs burns in hell. They are demeaning and use fear tactics to manage staff...they treat employees like second class disposable citizens.
Old February 7th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Don't work for steiner ,please,people

Hello , everybody , I just finished my first and last contract with Steiner , and I want to say to everybody who is looking for information - don't do this mistake . If you want to make money - this is not the way ,first you go to the academy ,you pay your flight , then you pay your transport from YMCA to the academy ,your medical , visa , special shoes ,uniforms ,hair accessories ,maritime fee and then you learn some stupid massage sequences that doesnt make a difference for nothing,in the end of the story you are in with more than 2000 euro ,I am luckily from Europe,but there were people from New Zealand with more expensive flights. And then you can not choose your ships , you can get the most miserable Costa , or Ibero , and there is nothing you can do . Then you go to your ship and you see that there are no guests for massage , but there are 5,6 or 7 massage therapists hired" by Steiner ,but as we have no salary , Steiner doesnot care , they have massage beds so they want to have also massage therapists . WE get commission 7,25 % and tips from the cruise line - 10 %(after taxes -8%) for Ibero and Costa -the most miserable , other cruise lines give more with the same price of the massage , which is strange .You cant change your company on the second contract ,only on the third ,but no thanks , working hours are not very well fixed , the contract says about it but I thought that this is in case we are busy , but no ,even if you are not busy ,you do inventory until late and you cant take back your hours in the next day although there is nobody for massage , you need to find the guest and push them for a massage of 99 euro mimimum in case that they paid for all the cruise 400 euro , because Costa cruises start from this price . The prices on all the ships are the same for massage doesnt matter the destination . We really have no rights ,, the company doesnt have obligations , we have maaaaaaany obligations , you cannot imagine , I chose this company because I know it for many years and I needed a secure company , but Steiner is a nightmare , they dont care about the staff , my first week I got 38 euro from the cruise line , the Steiner commission you get after 6 weeks , but actually you pay to them , because about 3 massages per week you do without commission ,and I was lucky with good managers , although the company is pressing them and they cant change much.So After 9 months I worked a lot ( if not massages - also promotions and reception duties), I saw nice places that I wanted to see , and came home with very little money , pain in the back , pain in the shoulder , very nervous and stressed and I want to find revenge at least writing here . DONT WORK FOR STEINER AND FOR COSTA Crociere !!!!
Old March 19th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Im very sorry to hear what happened to you! I have a date in May to start learning at Acadamy in London, but Im not so sure any more!! What happens if you want to finish your conctract sooner?
Old March 24th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to dljones

Is this the company Carnival and Royal Carribean uses? If so, remind me never to go to the spa again!
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hello! I'm so glad that I looked up Steiner even more! It was one of my main choices. I really want to work on a cruise ship as a massage therapist but def. not for them any more. What cruise lines do you recommend. I will be asking a lot of people who commented about steiner the same thing. This is my second year in college for massage therapy and i have this year, and about 1 semester left. any advice?
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maya05bg View Post
Yes,thats right.I was in Steiner training academy in London and i left them.These people are not professional and not experienced.They hire some girls who have not experience and teach them a few days how to do massage.I was shoked. They insist a heavy make up ,so i told them that I am not a prostitute,but a professional massage therapist. Their products are terrible ,contain preservatives and chemicals ,but steiner pretend to sell natural products. They dont have professional ethic and treat people like a dogs. So,I decided to leave this terrible company.
Hello! I'm so glad that I looked up Steiner even more! It was one of my main choices. I really want to work on a cruise ship as a massage therapist but def. not for them any more. What cruise lines do you recommend. I will be asking a lot of people who commented about steiner the same thing. This is my second year in college for massage therapy and i have this year, and about 1 semester left. any advice?
Old January 24th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
The problem is not Steiner...the problem are the cruise lines...because they get let's say 1 hour massage for 150 $...they get 85% from it 8.5 % is for you and the rest is for Steiner...
Steiner basicly only makes money with their crap products...that is the only thing they care about...

I worked as an massage therapist and i got a warning once for intimidate an client with the question "how is the cruise with your boyfriend?"

But when clients come back and complain about the product selling or they bring back the products they just bought...you will not get a warning whatsoever....and the cruiselines let them do.

i had an friend who also worked for Steiner and he was great in selling...one day i asked him why he is so successful...he told that after the massage he takes the products he wants to sell in front of the client and gives him orders like you have to take this product twice a week or this 3 times a week...the clients mostly just let him do...at the end my friend always asks the client do you think you can do that for me..

He then packs the products in a bag and adds it to the bill...but the client still dont know how much they cost..the client sees it when he signs the bill and then leaves the Spa...

65% of clients come back the same or the next day and return the products...but 35% keep them because of beeing ashamed!

Steiner trains you to do exact like my friend did...after one contract i quit witrh them because i wanna provide a first class service without the pressure to sell products...it is lying into the faces of every client..

But once again the cruiselines know everything and never stepped in...
I love america but the companys that america brought into the world are the worst of the worst...in human rights!!
FYI Steiner is based out of the UK

Ships worked on:

Silver Seas Shadow
Celebrity Millennium
Caribbean Princess
Celebrity Summit

http://www.lepajessi.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/lepajessi
http://www.lepajessi.com (Under Construction)
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Familiar Face

Default My view

Obviously I am at a disadvantage in this thread...and am probably asking for trouble.

I completed 2 contracts on board with Steiner and would have continued if I was not married and preferring to stay on land.

There is a level of manipulation within the company as far as selling products. But just as will all other hair, face and body care companies- most key selling points are exaggerated. I know MANY people who have deep love for Elemis/Steiner products, have been using them for years, and refuse to change from the items they fell in love with when someone convinced them to spend money on board while visiting the spa. Some lives have been changed due to the encouragement to live a healthier lifestyle.

Steiner is company which was created out of the UK and have developed into a huge world wide corporation. Not only staffing cruise ships, but countless landbased spas around the world.

Thousands of jobs are created by this company and opportunities are given to people raised in poor countries and an option is given to reach further and change lives. Please ask someone from a poor country if the money they've made on board has changed their life.

Cruise ships alone have very interesting lifestyles, traditions and methods of superiority within the crew that you would never see on land. This will never change. But Steiner is not to blame.

Steiner does not withhold your pay and threaten you to keep it if you misbehave. This is ridiculous. If you would take the initiative to read your contract, you would know this. They have a 6 week layover period.

So many accusations.

And as a guest, if you DO NOT want to buy a product, tell the person!! They are doing their job, just as you do yours...selling insurance, cars...etc.

They DO NOT use cooking oil in their massage oil. They commonly use high quality almond oil and sometimes even higher quality with essential oils or therapeutic remedies. A true Steiner therapist will create a treatment specific to your needs or complaints, provide and amazing service, and yes- present a treatment package that maaaaybe you would enjoy having in your own home. If you don't want it, don't be embarrassed. Just say no.

Thank you for respecting my view,

Ships worked on:

Silver Seas Shadow
Celebrity Millennium
Caribbean Princess
Celebrity Summit

http://www.lepajessi.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/lepajessi
http://www.lepajessi.com (Under Construction)
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Completely agree, I was with steiner from 2001 until 2005 and Im going back In april this year, Its all about your experience and the money depends completely in what ship and route you are on, selling or not selling, never been a top retailer myself and well I made a lot of money and Im not from a poor country Its just a question of attitude and willing to work
Old February 26th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Familiar Face

I've worked for Steiner as personal trainer for 8 months.
It is great opportunity, but it is def. not for everybody. Also I had some ethics issues, that is my reason why i am not returning. I've written my entire experience down in a blog; Information about working as Personal Trainer on Cruise Ships: Home

Unlike some others, I have finished my contract and can give you a unbiased and honest opinion of the company and the work. Because there is a lot of false information on different websites and from different people.
There is a lot of anger from people that did not finish the training or the contract, and also a lot of extremly positive information from people that see everything trough pink glasses or never ran into trouble, or just never had many problems with ethical issues.

Also, lately I've gotten a lot of questions about working as a personal trainer, so if you have any questions, just let me know, i will happily answer them for you trough the website: Information about working as Personal Trainer on Cruise Ships: Home.
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi CurlySue i was chosen to work as massage therapist for Steiner and didnīt know what to do as i have to pay my ticket to London and heard its long hours work is there any way we can chat ? thanks for sharing your experience
Old March 21st, 2013, 07:03 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Exclamation Student Dissertation

Hi all,

I am a final year student studying Cruise management at Plymouth University.

I am currently doing research for my honours project which is to investigate to see whether culture has an inpact on leadership in the cruise industry.

If you work at sea or have in the past please could you spare 3 minutes to complete my online questionnaire at the link below

https://plymouthbusiness.eu.qualtric...W33fl2NMjUo1WB

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask! Thanks in advance
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LepaJessi View Post
Obviously I am at a disadvantage in this thread...and am probably asking for trouble.

I completed 2 contracts on board with Steiner and would have continued if I was not married and preferring to stay on land.

There is a level of manipulation within the company as far as selling products. But just as will all other hair, face and body care companies- most key selling points are exaggerated. I know MANY people who have deep love for Elemis/Steiner products, have been using them for years, and refuse to change from the items they fell in love with when someone convinced them to spend money on board while visiting the spa. Some lives have been changed due to the encouragement to live a healthier lifestyle.

Steiner is company which was created out of the UK and have developed into a huge world wide corporation. Not only staffing cruise ships, but countless landbased spas around the world.

Thousands of jobs are created by this company and opportunities are given to people raised in poor countries and an option is given to reach further and change lives. Please ask someone from a poor country if the money they've made on board has changed their life.

Cruise ships alone have very interesting lifestyles, traditions and methods of superiority within the crew that you would never see on land. This will never change. But Steiner is not to blame.

Steiner does not withhold your pay and threaten you to keep it if you misbehave. This is ridiculous. If you would take the initiative to read your contract, you would know this. They have a 6 week layover period.

So many accusations.

And as a guest, if you DO NOT want to buy a product, tell the person!! They are doing their job, just as you do yours...selling insurance, cars...etc.

They DO NOT use cooking oil in their massage oil. They commonly use high quality almond oil and sometimes even higher quality with essential oils or therapeutic remedies. A true Steiner therapist will create a treatment specific to your needs or complaints, provide and amazing service, and yes- present a treatment package that maaaaybe you would enjoy having in your own home. If you don't want it, don't be embarrassed. Just say no.

Thank you for respecting my view,
NO! they use RICE BRAN OIL from Bon Vital! I worked on 2 ships as well, I know what I'm talking about... I am a massage therapist. Rice bran oil is far from being a good oil for massage... it starts to smell bad fast... Rice bran oil can be used has a cooking oil, so the poster was not lying.

Moreover if you don't sell much. Which for a massage therapist is at least more than 10% of total revenue you get pressure and brainwashing training until insane hours. Because if the guest doesn't want to buy it's not OK! It was your fault for not being persuasive enough!

The experience very much depends on the manager. However they are throwing off the company the good managers and leaving just those bitter, pushy and rude managers that will put you down at every opportunity.

That being said. It's not all bad working for Steiner. But it's not a pink world and it's not about willing to work or not...

There are many better jobs aboard a cruise ship - benefits wise.

That being said there are worse ones as well like some photo companies and some Filipino and Indian crew
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teralek View Post
NO! they use RICE BRAN OIL from Bon Vital! I worked on 2 ships as well, I know what I'm talking about... I am a massage therapist. Rice bran oil is far from being a good oil for massage... it starts to smell bad fast... Rice bran oil can be used has a cooking oil, so the poster was not lying.

Moreover if you don't sell much. Which for a massage therapist is at least more than 10% of total revenue you get pressure and brainwashing training until insane hours. Because if the guest doesn't want to buy it's not OK! It was your fault for not being persuasive enough!

The experience very much depends on the manager. However they are throwing off the company the good managers and leaving just those bitter, pushy and rude managers that will put you down at every opportunity.

That being said. It's not all bad working for Steiner. But it's not a pink world and it's not about willing to work or not...

There are many better jobs aboard a cruise ship - benefits wise.

That being said there are worse ones as well like some photo companies and some Filipino and Indian crew
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Welcome Newcomer

STEINER - not a place for professional people.
THE ACADEMY - the worst training ever. Rude, arrogant, non-skilled and " no brain" trainers. Just former workers on ships that finally found a nice and warm place to earn money. If you dare to say " don't treat me like cattle " they start threatening you and label you as having " negative attitude ". They will do everything possible to put you down and to feel stupid.
Training is only about how to sell the awful ELEMIS products.
The " Spa Tours " are embarrassing.
I lately met the owner of Steiner, the daughter of the founder. Seems to be a nice lady (I like her pink diamond ring). I think she worked very hard to keep the business going after her father death, but they lost control now. The manager of Steiner Academy (her son in law), is too weak and being the only man working in a place with only women made him to loose the sense of reality.
I was probably lucky to have a good ship. The things have changed completely when I got there. The ship staff was much better than those from the Steiner Academy's. But the Spas managers are still mad about selling ELEMIS. The only thing interest that them is " how much retail " have you done per day. No interest about performing good or quality treatments. The SPA guests should complain because they are sick of being pushed every treatment with ELEMIS sales. They were sick of this attitude we were more than embarrassed.
Old July 6th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Based in Miami , with academies in UK, South Africa and The Phillipines
Old July 6th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Welcome Newcomer

This is not a problem , you just pay your ticket and make present to Steiner your last 2 months of commissions.
Old July 16th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi, I am interested in working as a nail tech on board.
I've read loads of bad reviews for Steiner but know they are the only company that employ people for the spas etc.
Most comments I've seen are personal trainers or massage therapists; does anyone know what it's like for nail techs?
Feel free to contact me if you've any info, would love to hear