Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2001, 01:35 PM
Passenger

Default Need dressy clothes on freestyle cruising?

We're sailing on the 1/5/02 Norwegian Sun with our 6 & 11 yr old. Can we pack all casual clothes since it's freestyle or do we still need to have some nice ones packed as well?
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2001, 09:06 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Need dressy clothes on freestyle cruising?

There will still be formal nights, and even with freestyle, you are expected to dress for it. The good news is that the definition of formal seems to be changing. We went personal choice on Princess, and women were wearing everything from nice pants suits to little silk dresses to "Sunday best" to full evening gowns. Men were in nice suits with very few in tuxedos.

Have fun and enjoy.

Jeannie
Old December 3rd, 2001, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

My understanding of NCL's Freestyle is that they designate some formal nights, but the dress is entirely optional.

Regards,
Kuki... who hasn't yet sailed NCL
Old January 30th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I was on the Norweigan Sky last July. LOVED freestyle dining! Great for days in port. While we did have formal nights, the other nights I wore either a business-style pantsuit or slacks, sweater & blazer. We were in Alaska - at times I would simply come in from port, change my jeans to slacks, leave my sweater on & throw on a blazer, & go to dinner. I was never underdressed.
Donna
Old February 10th, 2002, 07:49 PM
b. green

Donna, we will be cruising to Alaska in June. Please advise me on what to take. I do not want to dress up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old February 12th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi "b.", On days that we were going to be in port from AM 'til we returned for dinner - we wore jeans, long-sleeved shirts or sweaters then layered with pullover sweater or sweatshirt. We always took our waterproof jackets (lightweight type like Land's End carries). Days at sea, the guys wore khakis (or similar) pants & long-sleeved shirts, or sweaters. Gals wore slacks & sweaters, or blouse (not t-shirt). Casual, but nice enough to go to the dining room for lunch. For dinner, most of the time the guys wore something similar to what they would wear to the office - nice pants or dress slacks & button up shirts, or pullover sweaters. Gals wore pantsuits or dress slacks with sweaters, etc. Formal nights you can opt to go to an alternative dining spot if you'd rather not dress up. "Formal" does not necessarily mean gowns & sequins, though you will see that. I am a pants girl!! I have a beaded jacket with satin pants & a velvet jacket with matching pants that I usually take for formal nights. I travel a good bit, and personally (especially with cruises), I like to take a few basic items like black, navy & brown dress slacks, nice sweaters, 2 blazers, and 2 pantsuits. I can mix & match the slacks, sweaters & blazers. I can dress the outfit up with jewelry, a nice belt, heels, scarves, etc. As long as I look "pulled together", I have always felt appropriate. Alaska is my favorite destination - have a ball. P.S. Pack binoculars!!!