Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2002, 09:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Kim
Default clothing for kids on formal night

My family and I will cruise on the Facination in mid-March. What is appr. attire for my children, my son is 13 and my daughter is 12.
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Default Re: clothing for kids on formal night

I was on the Fascination in 12/01. My 9 y/o son loves to dress for dinner. I would suggest at least one jacket for your son. If he doesn't own one, don't go out and buy one. My son wore dress slacks or khakis, a shirt that has a collar, and a knit vest to match his pants. He didn't change after dinner. During the day he wore shorts. If your kids enjoy dressing for dinner let them do so. I would suggest that they eat dinner in the formal dining room for the experience. With the children almost anything goes as long as it is clean and looks nice. I don't recommend that the children wear shorts for dinner. When I was cruising at your daughters age I wore nice dresses to dinner or matching pants/shirt. Again during the day shorts. If your daughter wears jeans plz take them because the ship could be cool during the evening hours. Have fun on your cruise. I wish that I could be going on that date. Instead I'm doing Orlando for his spring break.
Old January 19th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Karen,
Thanks! I was thinking a blazer might be a good idea with Khakis and a tie, on other nights a sweater vest and pants. He is going to be 14 soon so being "cool" is a must at this age. He was not excited about a suit!!! My daughter will be fine she is excited to dress up and wear he first formal dress, I am hoping she can wear junior sizes as formal dress for this age is much easier to find. For me do you think "cocktail" type pant suits and dresses would be appro.?

Do you have other comments advise about the Facination or the Key West and Cozumel ports. Any shore excursions that you would suggest?
Thanks...
kim
Old January 21st, 2002, 10:04 AM
Admiral

I took 2 way radios for my son to keep in touch with me. I was with a group of 50. t everyone in my group loves to dress. A "cocktail" tpye pantsuit will be fine. My family took the trolley tour in Key West. $20 pp. The trolley allowed you to get off and on. The conch train doesn't allow you to get off and on. I think that it was the same price as the trolley, but I'm not sure. The ship has two video game rooms. We didn't do a tour in Cozumel. This was my second time there. I wanted to go snorkeling, but got sick the day we were in Cozumel. If you drink buy your alcohol at the duty free shop where the ship docks, it is cheaper than on the ship. Make sure you buy the vanilla flavor, you can get a big bottle for about $5.00. I'm sorry that I can't answer your questions about shore excursions. You can get one of the taxis driver to give you a tour. We never book shore excursions through the ship, always neg. with a taxi driver. The ship itself is nice. At diner we had no problem ordering seconds or thirds(lobster and Baked Alaska). I had a collapsable cooler inside my cheched luggage. I put sodas and bottle water in small suitcase with rollers that I carried on board. This saved us a lot of money. Our cabin steward kept the cooler filled with ice. Let your children explore the ship. You will
have only one formal night, Tuesday night. Getting off of the ship was a breeze. On previous cruises they had to keep calling for people to go to immigration, this time those who needed to go went without having to be called. If there is anyone traveling with you who can't stand for a long time get assistance to get on and off of the ship. There was several who needed assistance in my group. The tips are automatically placed on your sail and sign card. This is much easier than trying to get change. I took it off and the next day had it palced back on my card. Also, during dinner and lunch a few times I took my own soda to the dining room and had no trouble getting ice. If you have any more questions, I'll try to answer. The 2 way radios that I used was bell south 2 for $29.00. In Cozumel I got separated from my parents who had my son with them and we used the radios to locate each other.
Old January 21st, 2002, 09:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Karen,
Thanks for the info!!!!! I like the idea of the 2 way radio's and we have some. The idea about the drinks were a good idea, my husband and I did that when we went to the Bahama's. Someone suggested the drink card which allowed for unlimited drinks so I thought that might be a good idea. Thank you so much for all the tidbits, it is the most helpful info I have recieved!
kim
Old January 24th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Hi, Kim ...

Karen's advice is excellent. I'd go with the blue blazer for your son, if he likes to dress up. I'm sure there will be "events" -- weddings, funerals, maybe even a cotillion -- before he grows out of it.

If you have trouble with a dress for your daughter, a black velvet or other fabric skirt with a dressy blouse and a neat belt could be a solution. She could also wear black silky pants with an interesting top. This makes fitting a LOT easier.

I don't know of any 12 YO girls who (a) take fashion advice from Mom or (b) would be caught dead in what we used to call "party dresses."

I'm not so sure about the trolley/train deal in Key West. I think they both make all the stops, but I'm not certain. Check to make sure. Get your tickets after you get off the ship, saving about $3/pp. The waterfront area is fun to walk around, the beach at the Flagler got good reviews on our last trip, the Hemingway house (and the associated cats -- 60 or so of them) is a neat stop and a stroll down Duval street is a must.

On Coz, since you are four, I'd just get off the ship, rent a car right at the pier (plan on $50) and go exploring. Plenty of English is spoken on Coz, so that's not a worry. The drivers are reasonably polite. My favorite beach these days is the Palancar Beach Club. Turn right out of the airport and keep driving past Chankanaab and Playa San Fancisco. You can then circle the island (doesn't take too long) with possibly a stop at Playa Bonita. Don't bother with the ruins at San Gervasio. You can top up your gas tank as you come into San Miguel. Then park and enjoy the town. You have plenty of time for all this.

Another option is to jump on the ferry at the downtown dock, cross over to Playa del Carmen, then go to Xcaret for the day. Kids love it. You can catch a cab to Xcaret from Playa and there are plenty of cabs waiting to take you back. The ferry is $8/pp, a cab should be less than $10 for all of you, and park entry is around $35/pp.

As to your cocktail pants, I can't remember the last time I wore a dress on a ship.

If there's anything else we can help with, just ask. I did this itinerary twice last year (not on Fascination) so my recollections are still pretty fresh.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor.
Old January 24th, 2002, 11:31 PM
CindyC

Pamda, thank you for the advise,too. I've learned alot reading the posts. Can we wear shorts during breakfast or lunch time in the dining area? Do you have any shore excursions in Belize? cc
Old January 28th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Hi, Cindy ...

Shorts are fine for breakfast and lunch as long as they're dressy shorts, not smelly workout shorts or cut-offs.

I'm not up on shore excursions in Belize.

pamda